All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Older Phones and Archived Forums > Nokia 6600 and 6620

Poll: Would you pay for a programme to use Bluetooth to connect to your PC's internet conne
Poll Options
Would you pay for a programme to use Bluetooth to connect to your PC's internet conne

Old 27-12-2003, 08:41 AM

trickyt is on a distinguished road
Question Bluetooth, the Internet and surfing for free...

HELP! HELP!

Someone must know how to connect to the PC's internet connection via Bluetooth!

(Dont forget to answer the POLL above!!)

I would like to be able to surf the internet from my Nokia 6600 using the PC's internet connection. Surfing the internet from within 10 meters of my PC would thus be free of charge.

I have heard it is too expensive to use the phone's GPRS connection.

I have not had my first bill for the mobile Network provider's first GPRS connections, but based on their price plan of 1 cent per Kilobyte, the average small page will cost 25 cents/pence/rappen and a page with graphics could easily be more than $1. This makes it expensive compared to the PC based Broadband connection which is effectively free.

I would like to use my phone to surf the net and check news or share prices because my kids are on the PC, (and it would be much more discreet to do it on the phone).

Is anyone aware of a way of defing the bluetooth connection as the access point? Or any other way to use the Bluetooth connection to access a PC's internet connection?

I for one would pay money for a fix that would let me use my 6600 to connect via Bluetooth to my PC and then surf the internet from the PC Broadband connection.

So come on all you programmers out there. Make yourself rich by discovering the solution.

PLEASE..................
PLEASE.............................Don't forget to answer the POLL above!!

Last edited by trickyt; 06-01-2004 at 12:27 AM.

Old 27-12-2003, 12:18 PM

tofire is on a distinguished road
I'm shure "the programmers" are working on this right now. People have posted complaints about this every other day in every symbian 60 forum since the nokia 6600 came out. Maybe nokia did a too good job preventing their new phone make use of free internet connection?

Old 27-12-2003, 06:36 PM

RayGun is on a distinguished road
just a little comment here.. Yes it's free internet when connected through BT and it's fun to be able to do surfing through the phone from time to time, but it isn't a solution when you are away from the pc.. Providers aren't really losing big money here,cuz most of the time you'd still have to connect through GPRS.. Don't quite get it why Nokia would go through so much trouble just to remove a good feature from the phone... :S

Old 27-12-2003, 07:16 PM

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by RayGun
just a little comment here.. Yes it's free internet when connected through BT and it's fun to be able to do surfing through the phone from time to time, but it isn't a solution when you are away from the pc..
You can of course get 100 metre bluetooth dongles for PC now? so yes you wouldn't be able to use it on the move but certainly anywhere in the house I imagine.

I hope there is a good solution found to this problem by the time my 6600 arrives, maybe try posting in some of the Symbian Developer forums? someone will know! How about creating a 'dummy' server on your PC and connecting to that?

Old 27-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
The phone is not equiped with a Bluetooth chip that has a range of 100 m but somewhere arround 10 m so your 100 m range/1rst class PC dongle will not be of any use to you.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 27-12-2003, 11:48 PM

mat.phillips is on a distinguished road
I have given some thought to these 100m bluetooth adapters that I have seen on ebay.

At first I thought 'hmm, strange, that would be useless, the adapter would be able to talk to the phone but the phone could not talk back'

But then I figured that the adapeter was clearly using a higher powered transmitter and so it's possible that it's also using a more sensitive receiver - one that could detect the low powered bluetooth from the phone?

This is a guess of course, has one one tried this in practice? Logic does seem to state that the phone could not have a working BT connection 20meters from the BT station, but practical experience is what counts here.

Old 28-12-2003, 01:27 PM

RayGun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by mat.phillips
I have given some thought to these 100m bluetooth adapters that I have seen on ebay.

At first I thought 'hmm, strange, that would be useless, the adapter would be able to talk to the phone but the phone could not talk back'

But then I figured that the adapeter was clearly using a higher powered transmitter and so it's possible that it's also using a more sensitive receiver - one that could detect the low powered bluetooth from the phone?

This is a guess of course, has one one tried this in practice? Logic does seem to state that the phone could not have a working BT connection 20meters from the BT station, but practical experience is what counts here.
I have no facts on this, but my guess would be that it MIGHT be able to receive for a few more meters,but not up to 100m..Perhaps12-13 tops..But I doubt that receiver is so much better..The transmitter is making sure that signal gets further.. Difference between 10 and 100 m is afterall 10X as far..

Cheers
RayGun

Old 04-01-2004, 02:30 AM

trickyt is on a distinguished road
Naked Women

Having examined the results of the Poll, it is safe to say that only 4% of respondents never look at naked women, and 96% want to use their Bluetooth connection to connect to someone elses pc to surf the net.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:20 PM

mat.phillips is on a distinguished road
...to 'someone elses pc' ????

Not sure what that means. Allow me to offar a practical use for the feature.

(To clarify 'feature': The ability to access internet on mobile phone via the BT link to Mrouter, thus no call charges)

I spend quite a bit of time on IRC, I am a moderator for a busy channel and so there are times when I need to be sat infront of the computer watching the channel. There are times I'd like to be watching TV instead... or cooking etc.

What I do is use an IRC client on the 7650 and monitor the channel that way, when something looks like it needs my input, I walk to the PC and respond. It's like carrying my monitor in my hand.

It works well for me, but I'd like to be able to do this with the 6600.

This is just one use for the facility. I'm sure others have their own things that make the loss of access annoying

Old 10-04-2004, 05:35 AM

fofodaman is on a distinguished road
another post here is discussing this, or should i say has been, anyway, it is here

I am bringing up these old posts so we keep em moving

Old 10-04-2004, 08:15 AM

spanky316 is on a distinguished road
I live in a 1 bedroom house which is very small. There is nowhere in my house that is further than 10m from my PC. I just want to be able to surf the net while I take a dump
Ads

Old 10-04-2004, 09:59 AM

REALIS is on a distinguished road
spanky: That's my dream too

Old 10-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
My brother is using IRC while connected via BT to my PC right now.BTW:He is in the bathroom.The only problem is he is using a 7650

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 10-04-2004, 06:30 PM

Vamp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
My brother is using IRC while connected via BT to my PC right now.BTW:He is in the bathroom.The only problem is he is using a 7650
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky316
I live in a 1 bedroom house which is very small. There is nowhere in my house that is further than 10m from my PC. I just want to be able to surf the net while I take a dump

Hmmm.... Loo surfers....

Old 10-04-2004, 07:03 PM

REALIS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
Should I understand that as advice for us to purchase a 7650 for... "restroom use"?