All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 15-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia N96 - the ongoing test and questions invited

As you know, AAS's guest Nick Anstee is now well over a week into his 'exclusive' Nokia N96 experience. Seeing as production N96s seem to be a couple of weeks away, this is as close as most of us will get for a while. Below are more thoughts from Nick, along with an invitation.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

rakesh khabiya

i want to know how is the sound quality through headphones.. is it comporable with the n91 in terms of sound quality and sonic experience..

Old 15-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Enfors is on a distinguished road
Do we now know for sure whether it has hardware 3d acceleration or not? I've heard that it doesn't, that it does, that it doesn't, that it does so many times my head is spinning.

Old 15-09-2008, 02:11 PM

macwhu is on a distinguished road
Nokia Media Transfer for mac - is still fairly betaish - whatever handset you have
but is at least usable now - i used to just remove the memory card and use a card reader to add music/remove photos.

what interested me is how well it handles video files

will it play back high-ish res video files
such as 640x420 etc. N95 would stutter and fail on larger than 320x240videos

also the N95 player is a pain in never remembering where you were watching last.

somethign the iPhone /iPod touch trumps it on big time as a UI experience.

for me being a 'play all video' phone is the only reason to get the n96 over an N85.

Old 15-09-2008, 02:30 PM
billy k

Hi nick, can u please tell me if the navigation wheel really works or not like in N81? or rather the N85 and N79?
and also..i'd like to know if N96 can rotate it's screen like the way the animation on N85 does..i'm sure u've seen it...
or maybe this will be updated in the future? with newer firmware of course..i hope it does, since if i'm not mistaken N85 also runs on the same feature pack as N96. thank you =)

Old 15-09-2008, 03:13 PM

bjornb is on a distinguished road
I also own a N96 (obtained through the facethetask donation thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i want to know how is the sound quality through headphones.. is it comporable with the n91 in terms of sound quality and sonic experience..
I havent owned the N91, but my impression is that it has noticeably better sound quality than the N95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfors View Post
Do we now know for sure whether it has hardware 3d acceleration or not? I've heard that it doesn't, that it does, that it doesn't, that it does so many times my head is spinning.
It seems like it doesnt according to the smape.com review, but it does have improved video hardware acceleration compared to older models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy k View Post
Hi nick, can u please tell me if the navigation wheel really works or not like in N81? or rather the N85 and N79?
and also..i'd like to know if N96 can rotate it's screen like the way the animation on N85 does..i'm sure u've seen it...
or maybe this will be updated in the future? with newer firmware of course..i hope it does, since if i'm not mistaken N85 also runs on the same feature pack as N96. thank you =)
The navi wheel does not work. It may (hopefully) be enabled in a future firmware update. The N96 does have auto rotation.

Quote:
Also can you have the photo light pernantly on while video rec
Yes, you can turn on the flash leds when filming video.

Old 15-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Unregistered

Is the navi wheel enabled as some people are saying that it doesnt work. Also can you have the photo light pernantly on while video rec. Thanks

Old 15-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Enfors is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also can you have the photo light pernantly on while video rec.
Yes, you can.

Old 15-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

I had a similar video stuttering effect on my N95 8Gb. Seems to only happen when i've taken a lot of photos/uploaded a lot of mp3's to the mass memory. Not sure whether its a file thing or fragmentation of the drive but after downloading sai photos, the stuttering goes away.

Old 15-09-2008, 03:36 PM

Picture Quality

Hi Nick,

i got as well a N96 , you said the Pictures are really amazing,

thing is when i make pictures , no matter if use the auto-fokus on the general mode the pictures look a bit milky & fuzzy---

You think somthings wrong with my lense---or that this hopfully will be gone with the next update ...

???! :-/

Thank you --

Old 15-09-2008, 04:12 PM
billy k

oh i see, thanks for your reply..
so in other words, there is no option to turn on or off the navi wheel in the setting menu?
about the auto rotation, yes i know it does have one, i think it's similar to the one on N82 and N95 8gb (with firmware 20 and above) i presume?
what i meant was the auto rotation like the one on N85, where it has that little animation..
thanks for the info by the way =)

Old 15-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Unregistered

Nope, it doesn't have the 'fade-out, rotate, fade back in' animation. It doesn't have any of the fancy FP2 animations. In fact, it doesn't even have the option to have animated icons as on my N82.

There is a Naviwheel menu, but the only option is to have 'breathing' on or off. I think 'breathing' is just the led pulsing when you get a message or when it's charging.

It's got a mono mic.

Haven't played with mine a lot, but I think they haven't really finished the firmware.

Old 15-09-2008, 06:35 PM

bjornb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nope, it doesn't have the 'fade-out, rotate, fade back in' animation. It doesn't have any of the fancy FP2 animations. In fact, it doesn't even have the option to have animated icons as on my N82.
Actually it does have menu animations, but the built in themes doesnt have any special fading/animation effects such as in the Haze theme supplied with the N78. If you enter the theme selection menu you can turn on/off the theme effects in the options menu.

Old 15-09-2008, 07:14 PM

christexaport is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Nick Antsee,

Your initial review in enlightening. I'm an avid power user, and feel this device is woefully inadequate. Opposingly, you seem to be a less aggressive power user, and even use a Mac PC!! We're definitely from two planets (I believe mine's the alien one)! Needless to say, your impression of this device is intriguing to me. Those unfamiliar with past Nseries, or not looking for bleeding edge performance may enjoy this device.

Enfors, the Forum Nokia device spec sheet lists a dedicated hardware GPU, though tests prove its nothing near as powerful as the hardware setup of the N95-2. I believe this listed processor is actually a smaller processor to enable the video encoding at 30fps like the 6220, which would otherwise be stuck at 15fps like the sad N78.

Macwhu, since the Nseries were introduced in 2005, high-res video playback has been a forte of most models. 640x480 is hardly high-res by Nseries standards, with most models capable of capturing video in this resolution. You will find no comparable video capture or playback device anywhere else on the market! Nseries=unmatched content creation and experiencing capabilities. If you had issues with captured video stuttering, perhaps you should update your firmware to the latest version, or format the mass or card memory. That was an issue in earlier builds, but the N95's video capturing prowess is now flawless, and unprecedented in the market, even in comparison to newer 8 megapixel models. Contact me on the Symbian Freak site if you need help fixing it. Its definitely not normal behavior for recording.

The N96's video playback has no advantage over the N85 or N95. They sport identical players and codec support. Most power users go for Coreplayer's much more powerful media player, anyway, which handles almost every video codec known to man! To compare this or any other Nseries device to an iPhone is a little tilted. The Nseries can be configured to play almost any media format via freeware, multitasks, and can replace a decent laptop. The iPhone is just an iTunes player with a simplified web browser. Not much more. Being pretty doesn't help get good grades in a tech review. Performance trumps style when prices are similar.

1976, are you pressing in your camera capture button partially to begin the focus, awaiting the green light to capture, and fully pressing the rest of the way to capture? If so, blame the grease and grime on the coverless camera lens. Give it a cleaning before shooting.

Hope I've shed some light on some of your questions.

Chris aka christexaport
www.symbian-freak.com
www.android-freak.org

Old 15-09-2008, 07:30 PM

christexaport is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

My earlier statement sums up this device...

Anyone unfamiliar with the Nseries, that's never had one of their recent flagship devices, or not seeking bleeding edge innovation and performance may be amazed.

Now isn't the Nseries supposed to be the pinnacle of mobile computing, the bleeding edge of technology, and the performance innovator?? What on earth is Nokia doing to our glorious brand? :-( The fact the flagship N96 is compared to competitors, or has a competitor at all, is an embarrassment for Nokia. The N90, N93, N95-2 and N82 had no peer, power or spec-wise. The N96 is an also-ran amongst various multipositioned competitors. It comes with a unique selling point of high quality image and video capture, a segment it may no longer even lead in the industry.

Does anyone else feels as let down as I? Where's the commanding technological lead? Android OEM's are licking their chops, because there's an opening in the kitchen, and the chef's fast asleep...