All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Unregistered

Im getting mine tomorrow and looking foward to it based on this review. I had an N95 before and loved that phone but it gave up the ghost on me and the battery life was terrible so this looks like the best choice for me to have gone for. I could have had an N97 (upgradge on my contract) but decided to go for the N86 8mp as it looked better and reading up on both looks the better phone to go for. Thanks for the review as it kinda put my mind at rest as first I wasnt to sure about it but now am glad to have this turning up.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down List of N86 Bugs in Firmware 11.043

I'm liking (though not yet loving) my new N86, but the current latest Firmware, v11.043, still has a HUGE raft of major software bugs.

Rest assured, the issues below will NOT apply to everyone, and indeed, those it does affect might only be a small percentage (or not, as the case may be). But they ARE REAL for those it affects, and I have re-installed the Firmware clean twice now, to all but rule out "extra added software" as the culprit.

So just to make a list, in no particular order, of the issues and bugs with the N86:

It has a relatively small amount of Free C: Internal Memory, and worse, current software policy/behaviour with Nokia, is that certain applications, such as N-Gage updates, Maps Updates, Email, QuickOffice, and numerous others, can ONLY be added to C: memory, not E: As a result, after less than a week, my own device has only 14.2MB of free C: memory, even though I have installed every app that gave me a CHOICE, to E:

Auto-rotate - on certain occasions, the screen auto-rotates as you lock it. If it does this just as you are locking it, with a NUMERIC KEY-GUARD, then on occasions, when you unlock the phone, it is FIXED in the wrong orientation, and there is nothing you can do to correct it. In fact this bug is so severe, that when it does this, you can't even so much as turn the phone off. The power button does not even work, so a full battery pull is required. (Weird, given that you can use the phone fine, but just in the wrong orientation, so it's strange the power button doesn't work).

Camera wrong auto-rotation - weird one indeed this, but for no sensible reason, certain photos taken in normal Landscape orientation, with the phone held correctly, get auto-rotated to portrait orientation once shot, and are thus the wrong way round. I can understand it doing this the other way round by mistake, and not correctly rotating a portrait shot photo, using the accelerometer, but electing TO rotate a correctly shot Landscape picture, is bizarre indeed. But it has done this to me several times now.

Slide Auto-lock - when set to automatically lock the keypad when the slide is closed, most of the time this works fine, but other times, closing the slide does nothing, and worse, to prove it is a bug, when this problem does happen, even the hardware lock button on the side, then has no effect, thus confirming it to be a full bug. It does this for me from time to time, but a cure is to go back into the slide handling settings, and turn it off then back on, then closing the slide will automatically lock the keypad again. Mmmm.

Responsiveness/Slowness - even when clean fresh booted (that is, as a new phone, out of the box), response rate in the messaging application is very poor, compared to most other older Nokias. A key way to demonstrate this, is to receive a message whilst something else is running on the phone. Switch to the messaging to view it, and then click "Reply" to respond... then sit back and time the delay it takes before you are actually ready to start typing in the editor. And as this is a key feature/use of the phone, it's most notable, and most frustrating.

Predictive text and password fields - The newer Webkit Browser version seems much faster than prior Nokia Web Browsers, this is one of the few good things I can say that is faster with the phone. But if you visit a webpage that requires a username and password, and you are a predictive text user, then it accepts predictive text for the username box, but also remains in predictive text mode for the secret password entry. Previous Nokias were intelligent enough to know this was a password field box, and automatically switch to multi-tap for password entry. With the N86 you have to MANUALLY change to Muti-tap, by cycling through the entry methods, which curiously, and confirming it is a bug, does not then even have an option for predictive text - you CAN'T cycle back into predictive text if in a password field. So this is a genuine bug, by it not switching to multi-tap for password boxes automatically.

Zero (Internet) key - maybe this is just a FP2 issue, not an N86 one, but no matter what I set, and where I set it, in terms of default homepage, when I do a long press of Zero, to launch the internet, instead of a pre-set homepage loading up, all I ever get is a list of bookmarks first that I have to choose from, and it does not go straight into the web proper.

"Duplicate a contact" - this menu option within the Contacts Application, is simply gone, omitted, no longer there, despite it being in all previous Nokia phones (either under this name/description "Duplicate", as it is on phones like the E71 etc, or just under the "Copy" option as on phones like the E90, N82 etc). Clarification, the N86 does have VARIOUS copy options, but these are NOT the "Duplicate an existing contact" option that I refer to. These are to copy an entry, invisibly as it were, as a backup, onto the memory card itself, or to Copy from phone to sim based memory. There is NOT an option to start with an existing contact in your phone, and then to "Duplicate this" so that you can finish off adding additional info and then save it as ANOTHER extra contact with slightly different info. You can do this on previous phones however, and this indeed seems a firmware error/omission as even the user guide refers to a "manage contacts" option which is not the same as the guide describes, which refers to being able to do this action.

There's probably a few things more, but that's all I can think of for now, and I am conscious that I might well be already over the character limit for an individual message post.

Feel free to chip in with any more you lot know of, or any comments anyhow.

EDIT, 12/09/09 - See additional post further down for a newly discovered charging bug.

Last edited by shadamehr; 12-09-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:04 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamehr View Post

"Duplicate a contact" - this menu option within the Contacts Application, is simply gone, omitted, no longer there, despite it being in all previous Nokia phones (either under this name/description "Duplicate", as it is on phones like the E71 etc, or just under the "Copy" option as on phones like the E90, N82 etc). Clarification, the N86 does have VARIOUS copy options, but these are NOT the "Duplicate an existing contact" option that I refer to. These are to copy an entry, invisibly as it were, as a backup, onto the memory card itself, or to Copy from phone to sim based memory. There is NOT an option to start with an existing contact in your phone, and then to "Duplicate this" so that you can finish off adding additional info and then save it as ANOTHER extra contact with slightly different info. You can do this on previous phones however, and this indeed seems a firmware error/omission as even the user guide refers to a "manage contacts" option which is not the same as the guide describes, which refers to being able to do this action.
True, but seems a problem or, maybe, a Nokia option, on OS 9.3 phones, because N96 doesn´t have also that option.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7 View Post
True, but seems a problem or, maybe, a Nokia option, on OS 9.3 phones, because N96 doesn´t have also that option.
It's my first 9.3 (FP2) Nokia, after a huge amount of prior versions, at least fifty five Nokias, of which I'd say around twenty plus were Symbian, and at least eight were FP1.

So you could well be correct. My brother has a 6220c, so I'll have a look at that today.

I'll also have a look sometime on a 5800XM to see if this applies to 5th edition Contacts too.

If so, it's a poor set back, as for those (possibly admittedly few) that rely on it, it's a major loss.

Let me clarify - that the beauty about this, was that the "Duplicate" option, kept ALL info about the contact. Thus without it, I also have to set up the relevant Caller Image, set up the relevant Caller Group, and set up the corresponding Ringtone - all of this in addition to actually entering the names, phones numbers, addresses etc.

So it's no light omission, for those that used this feature a lot like me.

Thanks for the heads up too mate!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
5800 have that option... I already confirm... So, N86 and N96 at least, doesn´t have it.
Ads

Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 AM

Thanks mate - saves me checking later today.

Mmm - so only N86 and N96 thus far where they've forgot it...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Charging Bug

UPDATE to my bug list post higher up, 12/09/09: To add new bug:

Charging Issue

My phone had roughly one bar remaining last night when I went to bed (admittedly late on from a rare night out, so around 4am). So I SWITCHED IT OFF ALTOGETHER (sometimes I charge with it on, other times with my phones off). I then put it on the USB charger - the MAINS power plug charger it comes with, not a data cable one. And yet this morning, upon switching it on, my battery bar showed only TWO bars. It should have been completely FULL even by then, on even a low Ma mains charger, if switched off.

Mmmm methinks.

So I put it back on the charger, phone switched on, for about half an hour or more, whilst pottering on this morning.

And when I come back and take it off the charger, alas it STILL shows just two bars. Oh er.

Now, this got me to thinking, "is it an indication only issue, not an actual none-charged issue?".

So I tried another switch off and back on, and this time the Battery Bar shot up to FULL.

Hmmm...

I'd leave it at that, and put it down to a simple Indication bug, were it not for the fact that to test this theory, I placed the phone back on charge, even though indicating full, which it should indeed be, under the circumstances and amount of charge I have indicated.

And I would then therefore have expected to reasonably soon, if not straight away, get a "Battery Full" message.

Except after thirty minutes on charge, it HASN'T said "Battery Full", and it is still charging the supposedly full battery up.

Coupled with a few times now were my battery has indicated a strength much higher than I would have expected it to be, until I switch off then back on my phone, to see it instantly drop right down to proper levels I would expect it to be, I would say that current Firmware version 11.043 also has MASSIVE ISSUES where Phone Charging and Indication is then concerned.

I just wish Nokia had a ready, simple place, means, or method, for us being able to easily report spotted phone firmware bugs to them in text form.

Calling Nokia Care, who promise to "pass it on" when not even having the technical knowledge to understand what you are even reporting to them, is ZERO solution.

Nor is taking your phone, and your problems, to an authorised Care Centre itself, as whilst they may UNDERSTAND what you are explaining to them better, the method of them conveying this to Nokia third-hand, in brief, again means it's a none-starter.

Nokia should have a simple Forum, (fully staffed and monitored by their own techs, so no, I am not talking about the existing Nokia Discussions Forum, where user-to-user support is the key purpose), where we can report bugs, separated out by phone, so they can easily see and learn themselves, exactly WHAT bugs a particular phone has, for them to concentrate on fixing.

Surely you'd think they'd very much WANT to know what's wrong with their phones...?

Ah well...

Old 16-09-2009, 07:28 PM

lenin_74 is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
I'm liking (though not yet loving) my new N86, but the current latest Firmware, v11.043, still has a HUGE raft of major software bugs.

Rest assured, the issues below will NOT apply to everyone, and indeed, those it does affect might only be a small percentage (or not, as the case may be). But they ARE REAL for those it affects, and I have re-installed the Firmware clean twice now, to all but rule out "extra added software" as the culprit.

So just to make a list, in no particular order, of the issues and bugs with the N86:

It has a relatively small amount of Free C: Internal Memory, and worse, current software policy/behaviour with Nokia, is that certain applications, such as N-Gage updates, Maps Updates, Email, QuickOffice, and numerous others, can ONLY be added to C: memory, not E: As a result, after less than a week, my own device has only 14.2MB of free C: memory, even though I have installed every app that gave me a CHOICE, to E:

Auto-rotate - on certain occasions, the screen auto-rotates as you lock it. If it does this just as you are locking it, with a NUMERIC KEY-GUARD, then on occasions, when you unlock the phone, it is FIXED in the wrong orientation, and there is nothing you can do to correct it. In fact this bug is so severe, that when it does this, you can't even so much as turn the phone off. The power button does not even work, so a full battery pull is required. (Weird, given that you can use the phone fine, but just in the wrong orientation, so it's strange the power button doesn't work).

Camera wrong auto-rotation - weird one indeed this, but for no sensible reason, certain photos taken in normal Landscape orientation, with the phone held correctly, get auto-rotated to portrait orientation once shot, and are thus the wrong way round. I can understand it doing this the other way round by mistake, and not correctly rotating a portrait shot photo, using the accelerometer, but electing TO rotate a correctly shot Landscape picture, is bizarre indeed. But it has done this to me several times now.

Slide Auto-lock - when set to automatically lock the keypad when the slide is closed, most of the time this works fine, but other times, closing the slide does nothing, and worse, to prove it is a bug, when this problem does happen, even the hardware lock button on the side, then has no effect, thus confirming it to be a full bug. It does this for me from time to time, but a cure is to go back into the slide handling settings, and turn it off then back on, then closing the slide will automatically lock the keypad again. Mmmm.

Responsiveness/Slowness - even when clean fresh booted (that is, as a new phone, out of the box), response rate in the messaging application is very poor, compared to most other older Nokias. A key way to demonstrate this, is to receive a message whilst something else is running on the phone. Switch to the messaging to view it, and then click "Reply" to respond... then sit back and time the delay it takes before you are actually ready to start typing in the editor. And as this is a key feature/use of the phone, it's most notable, and most frustrating.

Predictive text and password fields - The newer Webkit Browser version seems much faster than prior Nokia Web Browsers, this is one of the few good things I can say that is faster with the phone. But if you visit a webpage that requires a username and password, and you are a predictive text user, then it accepts predictive text for the username box, but also remains in predictive text mode for the secret password entry. Previous Nokias were intelligent enough to know this was a password field box, and automatically switch to multi-tap for password entry. With the N86 you have to MANUALLY change to Muti-tap, by cycling through the entry methods, which curiously, and confirming it is a bug, does not then even have an option for predictive text - you CAN'T cycle back into predictive text if in a password field. So this is a genuine bug, by it not switching to multi-tap for password boxes automatically.

Zero (Internet) key - maybe this is just a FP2 issue, not an N86 one, but no matter what I set, and where I set it, in terms of default homepage, when I do a long press of Zero, to launch the internet, instead of a pre-set homepage loading up, all I ever get is a list of bookmarks first that I have to choose from, and it does not go straight into the web proper.

There's probably a few things more, but that's all I can think of for now, and I am conscious that I might well be already over the character limit for an individual message post.

Feel free to chip in with any more you lot know of, or any comments anyhow.

EDIT, 12/09/09 - See additional post further down for a newly discovered charging bug.

Hi shadamehr,
I just needed information about one problem which seems to be present in both fw versions
- My phone seems to have very poor network reception, i never had this problem with n95 my previous handset.

This is the second time i have exchanged handsets from carphonewarehouse. I would love to keep this handset but not with such pathetic reception.
Could you confirm if you have the same problem or not?
thanks

Old 16-09-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Look i have 3 Nokia N86s in 5 days from Carphone Warehouse an All 3 of them have gone FAULTY so thats it with the N86,i will stick to still the Best Nokia mobile produced the N95 8gb,the Centre button on all my N86s as Frozen an then unable to text on use an feature it even happened to the Carphone Warehouse assistant to prove i was not lying,Nokia should have made the Outside buttons on the N86 larger as they are to small indeed except for the menu button,why couldn"t all the outside buttons be the same size as the menu button,the Speakers were placed in the wrong position as my N95 8gb outclasses the sound from the speakers as they are on either side of the mobile not the same side like the N86,Nokia please go back to Finland to Produce mobiles not China as they become very unreliable from China an your sales will get worst from your own big mistake,it might be cost cutting but people want reliable mobiles nowdays thank you Nokia
Hi friend,
Sorry to know that you had to return the handset to carphone warehouse. Can i just check if you had any reception problems with the handset? I too have upgraded my contract with orange thro them. I am on my second handset and the network reception is hopeless.
Also did they change your handset to some other model easily or not? Because they told me that there will be only exchange but we cant change the actual model.
Hopefully you will see my message since i too am planning to go back to return the handset.
Many thanks

Old 16-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Lenin,

it is POSSIBLE that I am seeing a reception drop here with the N86, but to be honest with you, it's hard to say.

As ever since T-Mobile did a network sharing deal with 3, my coverage with T-Mobile has been like a roller-coaster, even though I live right next to my 3G dedicated T-mobile mast.

A little known fact about the network sharing deal T-Mo have with 3 (and this is nothing to do with the recently announced Orange merger), is that T-Mobile were one of the few, or possibly even only, UK networks to build in a specific type of redundancy or additional capacity technology or signal testing facility into their masts, in the form of a separate, additional transmitter, or separate bandwidth channel or something. If I can find the tech/geek/scientific explanation for this again I will happily post it here.

But in short, the network sharing deal with 3 was a BAD thing for T-Mo customers, not a good thing, because all they did on a lot of masts, to save any additional costs at all, was simply use this extra capacity/bandwidth/transmitter thingy that used to help when a customer was not getting a good connection on the main one, and instead merely used this as the capacity/transmitter/whatever it's called, for the "3" service on those masts.

And how true or not this is I cannot attest to scientifically, but instead merely point out that when this deal happened, from then onwards my connection has been a roller-coaster, even though I only live a few hundred yards from my 3G mast.

Of course, it's also fair to say that Orange may differ to T-Mobile, and whilst it can point to a hardware issue, or less strong antenna, it can of course also just as readily be SOFTWARE based, as we all know that some firmware updates include fixes to improve Radio performance, and the very same applies to Windows Mobile devices too.

So it can be both, (or either) a Hardware issue, as well as Software.

So newer Firmwares can potentially improve on it perhaps.

But coming back to your question, yes, sitting here at my desk, in my rear "PC Room", my new N86 nearly always has a normal antenna symbol on the display. On all prior Nokias, it would far more often be a 3G symbol instead. But to be fair, it should be this ALL the time, given where I live in relation to my local mast.

If I go on the internet though, the phone seems to find a 3G connection then, and the symbol usually changes to a 3G one, then 3.5G whilst it sends or receives data.

So YES, it looks like there is at least a behaviour difference with my N86, if not necessarily a performance drop one.

EDIT/ADDED...
Here's the tech explanation from a friend (thanks Humph), about what T-mobile use, and how sharing with 3 is thus a BAD thing:

"Both of T-Mobile's 2g and 3g networks use "receive diversity" to improve coverage and reduce noise. To do this, each cell uses two antennas, one to transmit and receive and one to receive only, the two receive signals are the compared, the result is a better receive signal, ie. from your phone.

Now what they have done, rather than fit new antennas for Three to use, they have dumped receive diversity and are using the second receive antenna for Three.

Noise is a bigger problem in 3G networks, especially phase noise. This cheap fix will have a detrimental effect on coverage and will lead to more dropped calls."

Old 16-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Reminder of Current Bugs, for FIX list.

..Reminder of N86 Firmware Issues:

The NokiaN86, and all it's myriad significant bugs, that we want to see fixed, so that the wonderful HARDWARE of the device itself, can truly shine through.

• T9 Taught words, not being remembered by the dictionary.
  • Battery Charge indicator not showing correctly after pulling off the charger etc while switching device on - it then shows the charge level as being at wherever the animation was whilst charging, even if full.
  • Screen LOCKING in landscape orientation randomly, and not being able to correctly re-rotate it, if key-lock on with numeric key-code.
    - And worse to the above bug - this then meaning that the power button stops working, so the phone can't be switched off to fix it - a battery pull is needed.
  • Normal Landscape photos sometimes, for no sensible reason, being auto rotated into Portrait, on occasions (for no good reason, as this is the complete opposite of what the accelerometer is even designed to do, which is rotate PORTRAIT intended photos correctly from the landscape aspect in the phone).
  • Messaging application incredibly SLOW (text messaging, and Email program). Click Reply, to reply to a text message, and you can sit and time the duration it takes, before you can actually start entering letters in the text messaging editor.
  • By the same token, click BACK to come out of the Text Messaging application, and you can wait a good while, before it takes you back to the menu grid.
  • Terrible Free Internal C: memory - I am down to just 12.2MB, and that's after DECLINING a 12MB update to N-Gage. Nokia, this is caused by certain specific apps, such as maps, quick office, Email, etc, ONLY being allowed to save to C: Memory, and not the large E: Mass Storage. Very silly - please use or at least permiot a choice of E: for EVERY application, so that my C: never goes down.
  • Captured Photos do NOT appear in the "Captured Photos" category, in the Gallery, if saved to E: Mass Storage - a bug.

There are probably a lot more, but Nokia, if you are reading, that's a summary of at least some of the issues we currently see with FW v11.043

Hope this helps, and I hope you can add them ALL to the Fix list, so that even if some are not in the next FW fix, they are in the queue for the one after etc.

Cheers Nokia/Damian

Old 17-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
..Reminder of N86 Firmware Issues:

The NokiaN86, and all it's myriad significant bugs, that we want to see fixed, so that the wonderful HARDWARE of the device itself, can truly shine through.

• T9 Taught words, not being remembered by the dictionary.
  • Battery Charge indicator not showing correctly after pulling off the charger etc while switching device on - it then shows the charge level as being at wherever the animation was whilst charging, even if full.
  • Screen LOCKING in landscape orientation randomly, and not being able to correctly re-rotate it, if key-lock on with numeric key-code.
    - And worse to the above bug - this then meaning that the power button stops working, so the phone can't be switched off to fix it - a battery pull is needed.
  • Normal Landscape photos sometimes, for no sensible reason, being auto rotated into Portrait, on occasions (for no good reason, as this is the complete opposite of what the accelerometer is even designed to do, which is rotate PORTRAIT intended photos correctly from the landscape aspect in the phone).
  • Messaging application incredibly SLOW (text messaging, and Email program). Click Reply, to reply to a text message, and you can sit and time the duration it takes, before you can actually start entering letters in the text messaging editor.
  • By the same token, click BACK to come out of the Text Messaging application, and you can wait a good while, before it takes you back to the menu grid.
  • Terrible Free Internal C: memory - I am down to just 12.2MB, and that's after DECLINING a 12MB update to N-Gage. Nokia, this is caused by certain specific apps, such as maps, quick office, Email, etc, ONLY being allowed to save to C: Memory, and not the large E: Mass Storage. Very silly - please use or at least permiot a choice of E: for EVERY application, so that my C: never goes down.
  • Captured Photos do NOT appear in the "Captured Photos" category, in the Gallery, if saved to E: Mass Storage - a bug.

There are probably a lot more, but Nokia, if you are reading, that's a summary of at least some of the issues we currently see with FW v11.043

Hope this helps, and I hope you can add them ALL to the Fix list, so that even if some are not in the next FW fix, they are in the queue for the one after etc.

Cheers Nokia/Damian
How did you go about updating to the latest firmware, did you have to change the product code or were you one of the lucky chaps who had the right code on your handset?

Old 18-09-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenin_74 View Post
How did you go about updating to the latest firmware, did you have to change the product code or were you one of the lucky chaps who had the right code on your handset?
My T-Mobile UK Contract handset came with 11.043 out of the box mate.

Old 19-09-2009, 03:59 PM

DOLwm is on a distinguished road
Build Quality??

I would like to ask all N86 users here how the build quality of their phones is.

Why? Because despite many reviews complementing the build quality of the phone, mine is actually not very good.

I've searched other forums and realized that there are also people finding the build quality of the N86 well, not up to standard.

So yes. Can i hear how your phone built is? Does it slide firmly? Does it wobble?

Old 20-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOLwm View Post
I would like to ask all N86 users here how the build quality of their phones is.

Why? Because despite many reviews complementing the build quality of the phone, mine is actually not very good.

I've searched other forums and realized that there are also people finding the build quality of the N86 well, not up to standard.

So yes. Can i hear how your phone built is? Does it slide firmly? Does it wobble?
I love the design, shape, weight, and look.

And out of the box, it certainly FELT a lot more firmer than the old N95 sliders (that were so bad, loads of people, me included, took their phones apart and added electrician's tape to reduce the gap etc).

BUT, to be honest to you, after two weeks of use now, I too find that it has got more wobbly and loose on the slider than I was hoping it would.

I am sure this can be tightened up by a sympathetic Nokia Service Centre.

But the nearest on to me, 16 miles away, is not very accommodating at all about anything minor, these days, so I see me having no chance of getting that carried out sadly. And NO WAY am I trying to take this baby apart and see if I can add electrician's tape to improve on the problem...

But I still LOVE the phone, don't get me wrong.

But I too have to confess, I only wish the slider was even more firmer (that is to say, either open or shut, I wish there was less play, when pressing the top part of the phone down onto the lower part. There is too much movement on mine, and it is not equal - there is more movement, and indeed more gap, on one side than the other).

Nokia have still not quite got this right, even if it is somewhat better than the old N95 issue.