All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-11-2009, 06:23 AM

sebarkh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianDinning View Post
hi. Change is to the shape of the opening around the lens cover only. Nothing else. It was found that such a small change could make a small difference to lens flare in some situations. As part of continuous development as most manufacturers do during a products life cycle, not just in this industry but in many others. we felt it was worth doing. Why not? This is not to say there was a known deisgn issue before you start calling Nokia care centres, as there is nothing fundamentally wrong as such with the original, but we were able to make it a little better.
If I had an original should I be concerned in any way? Absolutely not!
br
DamianI, think I found a great article that covers the matter of the new shape of lens hood. Check it: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...lens-flare.htm. And the image there explains this very well. Please, confirm if that was the reason of the change.
And in what conditions the advantage of new build will occur?

Old 18-11-2009, 12:00 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
hi. Change is to the shape of the opening around the lens cover only. Nothing else. It was found that such a small change could make a small difference to lens flare in some situations. As part of continuous development as most manufacturers do during a products life cycle, not just in this industry but in many others. we felt it was worth doing. Why not? This is not to say there was a known deisgn issue before you start calling Nokia care centres, as there is nothing fundamentally wrong as such with the original, but we were able to make it a little better.

br
Couldn't they get it SYMMETRICAL and even and consistent though Damian...

The new one looks chatty, and as if it's an unofficial part, because the lens cutout, is a small square shaped window, which even worse, is closer to the top than the bottom of the actual rounded lens mechanics behind it.

So maybe a smaller front glass window helps cut down on lens flare.

But does it have to look so chatty, false, wonky, and such.

I'd be mad if mine came back from repair looking like that *lol*

Forgive me, but looking at his photos above, the new unit looks TERRIBLE mate... it doesn't even look as if it's been fitted properly, as a result, even though the reality is, it sounds as though it has...

Old 18-11-2009, 07:45 PM

djmuzi is on a distinguished road
Someone from mobile-review.com forum has the same camera he has w white N86 (mine is indigo)

Old 18-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Unregistered

trawlserendum

Quote:

br
So basically you're saying if i own an original N86 then i shouldn't be worried and feel the need to take it to a NCS and have the lens cover replaced? Is that correct?

What about a new FW update? Is that on the horizon at all?

Old 18-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
My N86 (bought from the Nokia Store last week) looks like it has the updated camera unit.

Even though it does look a bit wonky, as suggested above, this doesn't have any effect on the photo taking ability, and to be honest you have got to get pretty close to notice that it's not quite square.

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 18-11-2009, 11:17 PM

lukpot is on a distinguished road
I think I found a new bug. Or at least an "inconsistent behavior". If you press and hold the middle button while the phone is locked, the clock and some other information shows. It also happens if you press and hold up, down, left or right, but only if you are in the portrait mode. When in landscape, it only reacts to the middle button. This could be fixed in next firmware....

Old 20-11-2009, 11:21 PM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
maybe it's a "feature" to give you glance of date/time while locked, without need to unlock phone. Nice tip btw

Old 21-11-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki69 View Post
maybe it's a "feature" to give you glance of date/time while locked, without need to unlock phone. Nice tip btw
Of course it is, but it shouldn't work differently in portrait and landscape...

Old 21-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Unregistered

New firmware 20 for S60 3: conversations

Hi after installing the new firmware for my N86, I got message conversations dont work with contacts? How do I retain the benefits of threaded sms conversations ... :(

Old 22-11-2009, 05:10 AM

genus86 is on a distinguished road
My n86 with v20 FW already many times software 'jam' causing the phone no respond and the screen light doesn't turn off & cannot off the phone by pressing the on/off button -- I also donno why sometimes it behave like that.. which I think after I open the image gallery & also somtimes is due to after open camera & take picture... after that the phone become no respond at all waiting for 5 minutes still no respond & the phone heat up.

Old 22-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi after installing the new firmware for my N86, I got message conversations dont work with contacts? How do I retain the benefits of threaded sms conversations ... :(
It just isn't compatible with new ovi chat...

Old 23-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
This V20.115 update has just become available for my UK CV N86 (SIM Free), so those still waiting for it, may want to give their software updater a refresh.

My product code is 0587709.

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_R; 23-11-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Old 24-11-2009, 05:40 PM

rojerfredrar is on a distinguished road
Hello Friends.
Is it possible for the new Firmware update to be unavailable to certain product codes, It's still not showing up on mine. I believe mine has a German product code (for T-Mobile), but I bought it unlocked, overseas.

Old 24-11-2009, 07:29 PM

r-486 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojerfredrar View Post
Hello Friends.
Is it possible for the new Firmware update to be unavailable to certain product codes, It's still not showing up on mine. I believe mine has a German product code (for T-Mobile), but I bought it unlocked, overseas.
Some product codes don't have v20 yet.

Old 24-11-2009, 09:38 PM

DKlaus is on a distinguished road
Firmware-starved

Sob. Just received my N86 today ... [skipping long story about my thorough research and high expectations] ... just to find that I'm stuck with FW 10.086 despite the fact that 20.115 has been out for two months!

With my N95 I always got the updates as soon as they were released, IIRC. But I was an early adopter back then - could that be significant? I mean, do product codes come in somewhat small batches, and do FW updates reach the first codes first?

What's the longest imaginable time to get the update out to every product code in circulation? Damian?

My code: 0587840 (BTW, how does that map onto EURO1,2,3 etc?)
Ads