All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 06-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia X6 Review: Part 1, Styling and Physical Presence

The first part of Ewan's real world review of the Nokia X6 Comes With Music.... Yes, there's a capacitive screen and decent speakers, but Ewan manages to find several points to complain about, not least the style-over-substance keylock key. More on the X6 from him later this week.

Read on in the full article.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
There is a default setting for headphones, Settings > Phone > Accessories > mark headphones as default.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, does this thing have kinetic scrolling? Would be fun swipping. Also with probably the images in the gallery, etc.
Ads

Old 06-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Unregistered

There is no *need* to use a stylus with the Nokia resistive touch, such as the 5800/5530 etc. It's a choice, although it would be needed for the handwriting input - which the X6 doesn't have.

My Stylus only ever comes out of its holder if I want to use it to push the SIM card out.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:28 PM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
Nokia is starting to go cheap

I don't know if its just me, but I've been hearing too many build quality complaints regarding Nokia handsets. Right from the N97 to the N86 to, even the 5530 are plagued with build quality issues that probably are a result of major cost cutting.

Nokia was and most probably is regarded as a brand that makes durable and long lasting phones,but,I guess this is going to change in the near future.

The X6 was a phone that I eagerly awaited and, no I cannot live with the hard(gimmicky) keylock especially if it is the only way to activate the screen.

Nokia should probably integrate screen unlock feature by long press,key combos making use of the bottom 3 buttons in a later update

Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
bigdondon

nexus anyone?

the X6 at this price is just laughable hardware compared to the nexus one google just released, lets not talk about that laughable software its a whole other chapter.

why in the world would someone buy this mediocre phone when you can buy an HTC Nexus One google Phone for much less with a 1GHz Snapdragon and 512MB RAM! WAAABAAAM Espoo! You're being punished for becoming too big to innovate. Nokia talks about how great they're going to be in 2011!! Well guess what, noone is waiting! In 2011 the competition will be so far from where it is now you're never gonna catch up! Just wait till June to see what the iphone 4G will be! Or just wait and see what Android 3.0 is going to be!

Nokia needs to fire all their designers, all their software people and venture out in the undergroud developer scene to find out whats cool nowadays and whats NOT! Cuz they can't seem to figure that out!

X6 = not cool!
Symbian touch = very not cool!! actually i can't think of one phone they have which is cool!
N97 = the N97 has hardware flaws i dont even know where to start but just looking at the horrible keyboard gets me goose bumps.
underpowered hardware = not cool

Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
brendan_donegan

@bigdondon

If you don't consider unlimited music to be worth 120 to you, then go ahead, spend that money on clock cycles and megabytes. I know Comes with Music hasn't been succesful but that's more to do with confusion around that happens to the tunes when you change devices (which I can't find any information about either)

Funny that you should mention about the problem with the headphones coming out. That exact feature will be in Symbian^3, courtesy of the author of Escarpod.

Also, you might be interested to know that a copy of your book 'Rapid Enterprise Development' is sitting on the bookshelf on the ground floor of Symbian's offices in Southwark

Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Ah yes, but does it pass the REAL AAS test?

Can it download Iplayer files? Coz you know, that's what's REALLY important to have on a phone!....

(just messing with you Steve ;-)

From Ewan's writeup (i didn't watch the video), it doesn't seem like any i8910 owners are going to be regretting their purchase. Unless i missed something we already have all the positive's Ewan mentions and none of the (many) drawback's. Solid, consistant hardware and (arguably) the best implementation of 5th edition on any phone. Certainly smoother and quicker than resistive versions i've used.

As far as having the music pause when you remove the headphones, "There's an app for that". It's called 'For your ears only'. http://tinyurl.com/ybs28y7

Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
brendan_donegan

whoops, last two statements meant for Ewan!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

Sorry but I have to ask, whats with the green nail varnish ?

Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
With regard to muting the music when you pull the headphones out, in true Apple style, "there's an app for that" for 5th Edition devices..... http://code.google.com/p/bergamot/wiki/ForYourEarsOnly

Edit: I have no idea if this works (at all), but apparently it does.... http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...ears-only.html

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_R; 06-01-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:38 PM

igmas is on a distinguished road
Personally I think the keylock slider is fine at it is.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdondon View Post
the X6 at this price is just laughable hardware compared to the nexus one google just released, lets not talk about that laughable software its a whole other chapter.

why in the world would someone buy this mediocre phone when you can buy an HTC Nexus One google Phone for much less with a 1GHz Snapdragon and 512MB RAM! WAAABAAAM Espoo! You're being punished for becoming too big to innovate. Nokia talks about how great they're going to be in 2011!! Well guess what, noone is waiting! In 2011 the competition will be so far from where it is now you're never gonna catch up! Just wait till June to see what the iphone 4G will be! Or just wait and see what Android 3.0 is going to be!

Nokia needs to fire all their designers, all their software people and venture out in the undergroud developer scene to find out whats cool nowadays and whats NOT! Cuz they can't seem to figure that out!

X6 = not cool!
Symbian touch = very not cool!! actually i can't think of one phone they have which is cool!
N97 = the N97 has hardware flaws i dont even know where to start but just looking at the horrible keyboard gets me goose bumps.
underpowered hardware = not cool
Why would I want a Nexus when it follows the backward trend of bloat and hugeness. It's even bigger than the iPhone! I could lay it flat and carry a round of drinks back from the bar on it, it's so stupidly and geekily massive. The only reason I won't be buying an X6 is because it has sharp angular corners, but I have been looking to replace a 5800 for a while, but can't see anything that has the same attribuutes, an X6 without CwM would be cheap enough (and cheaper than a Nexus) but for the case design that would be the one. Looks like the N97 mini is going to be the one I have to go for, until the new stuff comes out. It will do me OK for 6 months.

As for cool, well most people see phones as the tools that they are and things that spend the vast majority of their useful life on standby waiting to be used. Normal people are not sad geeks who apply the misappropriated adjective 'cool' to an electronic gadget.

Oh, an where is the innovation in a ~Nexus? It's nothing more than a catch-up.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Unregistered

@Unregistered

Agreed. Flash on Nexus? Already done on the N900, but everybody trumpets the Nexus. Amusing.
What can the Nexus do that the N900 cannot?

Besides, about build quality, HTC isn't the posterboy for good build quality... Look at the amount of complains on their Kovsky device (AKA Xperia X1) and others... The camera on the HD2 is of bad pick (eg the pink spots) and they just covered it up with a software update?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
@Unregistered

Agreed. Flash on Nexus? Already done on the N900, but everybody trumpets the Nexus. Amusing.
What can the Nexus do that the N900 cannot?
Be 8mm thinner for a start.