All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
...but the pic of the N95 is closer to the camera, so it's screen will show up better. (simple test, the screens are the same size in these devices, they're not the same size in the photos)

Old 02-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

Angry

oh man, please, grab an n85 when released and test for yourself... in sun n95 is better than n85... just it! tradeoffs! read the text!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

Wait... All these comments talking about no lens cover... when did the n85 lose it's lens cover? All of the previews up until now included it as a main bullet point.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@unregistered: no idea about the lens cover thing --????!! The N85 certainly has one.

@stuart: oh give over 8-) The scale of the photo does not change visibility of the screen. Trust me, there's a big difference. However, it's not a total showstopper and adjusting the angle of the device helps.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
The power consumption decrease is enough for me on its own.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

Steve,

I am sorry I should have made my point clearer as I realise that the N85 has a lens cover. On the N85 the use of this screen does limit the use of its camera. An example of features that don't necessarily work well together but are good marketing bullet points...

I hope the N82 replacement doesn't use the same screen. Or it has an optical view finder!! That would be excellent!! haha i doubt that would happen though!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:19 PM

edgar1013 is on a distinguished road
i'll be picking up this deivce as soon as it comes to america.
there is nowhere else to turn to aside from wm.
Ads

Old 03-10-2008, 11:52 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
And its demonstrably significantly less power hungry, as evidenced by the fact that I haven't charged the prototype N85 in two days and yet it's still showing full bars on the battery gauge. Impressive.
2 days with the kind of heavy usage you usually put the phone through??? That is really, really impressive...

I suddenly remember my 6610 days where I had to charge the phone once in 3 days. Have not experienced that since I switched to Symbian 5 years ago.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

Hey, even am interestede to know life of this screen. They say 14000 with 8 hrs usage, whereas with 24 hrs, its going to b even leser no. of days. do throw some light on this. my calculation says appr 560 days, which s pathetic.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 PM
HelloOLEDWorld

OLED is that cool... Imagine having a completely black background i.e. no energy is used to display the pixels and you have a clock with something like this "9:58pm" in white which is 1-2% coverage = 1-2% of energy used compared to backlight technology. Obviously this is over simplified to get the point across but that's why the N85 can have a permanent time screen saver on.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Unregistered

@ Unreg...

My father used to make OLED concepts 10-12 years ago. You're right, their lifespan is horrible. His company ditched their research because of that.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Unregistered

It's discouraging if indeed the lifespan of this oled is that short. Maybe nokia's gonna replace them after it fizzles out?

Old 14-10-2008, 06:42 PM
UnregisteredJoe

oled lifespan

is now longer than the typical user life of the phone

Old 17-01-2009, 09:33 AM
MobileOne

Test Fairly

The reviewer could have wiped the N85 screen off at least before taking photo in direct sunlight. Its like it was left with smudges intentionally to unfairly bias buyers. Very tacky. I dont understand these reviewers with this direct sunlight test. I have no problem seeing my N76 screen in direct sunlight although according to many reviewers it fades greatly in direct sunlight. If I want to take pictures, Ill take them in \from the shade.

Old 22-03-2010, 05:23 AM
Unregistered

Talking N85 screen is awesome

1) The battery lasts forever even on full brightness
2) The screen looks better than it does in the photos above!
3) It is highly readable in sunlight on full brightness (doesn't use much energy)
4) Photos/Videos look awesome on the screen