All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-03-2007, 07:28 PM

sToKiE is on a distinguished road
N95 Study

Hello,

I Have received an E-Mail from "Nokia 360 Smartphone Study" regarding an invite to trial the N95 for free. I currently have Nokia 360 software installed on my N80, which logs and monitors usage and sends info back to Nokia for "review and user satisfaction" purposes.

I have signed up usingt he form supplied, the question is, is this legit? Has anyone else had this email, and am i going to be getting a N95 for free in the not too distant future???

Rgds

sToKiE

N95 Smartphone Survey Member

Orange UK

Recent Phone History

6230, 7610, Samsung D500, 6630, 6680, N70, N80

Old 23-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
I had an email from phonestudy for testing on the N80, but I already had an N80.... after about 3 or 4 weeks I got some vouchers for M&S totalling 50.... so I was happy... I tried to sign up for the N95 test too... but from the 35 mins I got my sms to getting online to sign up Id missed the boat!!!

Now youve told me what you have... Im pissed!!

Old 24-03-2007, 12:50 PM

cubwolf is on a distinguished road
I didnt get an sms
I just had an email waiting for me when i got home last night.
I didnt get a chance to read any of the details.
I just signed up as quick as i could and bagged a nice N95 for free :-)
I have had the 360 survey on my N73 for 4 weeks now

Old 24-03-2007, 06:23 PM

ss3000 is on a distinguished road
i've been rading the comments on this post and some others......

how do you actually get to sign up for the phone study???? i've been seraching but can't find any information on it.

thank you

Old 24-03-2007, 06:38 PM

I think it comes through being a member of club nokia.
I just had an email on both occasions.
Dave
Ads

Old 25-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

yeah, I think its summat to do with clubnokia...

either way... I wish Id got to a PC quicker!

Old 26-03-2007, 01:59 PM

Tump is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much - I must have applied to test at least half a dozen phones over the last 5 years and never heard a thing back!

You are correct in saying you need to be a member of club Nokia though.

Old 26-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

ahhh but this doesnt have to be related to the test pilot scheme club nokia run, maybe the smartphone scheme instead... which is different.

Old 26-03-2007, 04:19 PM

Yes its different to the Club Nokia "Test Pilot" programme.

Last edited by cubwolf; 28-03-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Old 27-03-2007, 03:11 PM

giginger is on a distinguished road
I got one of those e-mails too.

Signed up within 9 minutes of receiving it so I'm hoping I get an N95 through the post. Anyone have a good idea of how long it takes for the phone to arrive? do they even send you a confirmation?

Old 27-03-2007, 04:28 PM

I had this email back from them
"Hello David,
You will find attached as a Word document the Participation agreement of
the N95 panel study. Your test phone should arrive within 9 days, most
likely earlier, but we like to keep a margin. It is delivered via DHL.
Thank you very much for your participation,
Best regards,
Nokia Study Support"

In the word document was
Participation agreement

Please read the following participation agreement

DESCRIPTION OF SMARTPHONE 360 STUDY DATA PROCESSING AND LEGAL PRINCIPLES

Participation in the user research

Nokia Corporation intends to carry out some end-user research examining utilization of mobile phones by a selected target group (hereinafter “Research”). You have agreed to participate in the Research as a member of the target group.

A software application that collects data on use of the mobile phone (hereinafter “SW”) will be pre-installed in the mobile phone (hereinafter “Phone”) sent to You by or on behalf of Nokia Corporation. The SW delivers reports on the use of the Phone to Nokia Corporation. Additionally, You are asked to answer to two brief web-queries during the user research.

The actual Research lasts from the moment You accept this end-user agreement and lasts for a continuous period of three months. You may at all times during the Research cancel Your participation in the Research by notifying Nokia Corporation . Nokia Corporation may at all times cancel or interrupt the research without incurring any liability by notifying You thereof by means of SMS, e-mail (e-mail address You have given at the recruitment site) or otherwise.

Nokia Corporation may at any time and especially in the case You cancel Your participation in the Research, request the return of the Phone. After successful completion of the Research, You may keep the Phone as compensation for Your participation in the Research as well as for GPRS traffic costs that incur during the participation in the Research. The Phone has no warranty of any kind, implied or express.

In case the You wish to change Your mobile operator during the Research, You must notify Nokia Corporation. Nokia Corporation may interrupt the Research, if You change the telephone operator.

IN NO EVENT WILL NOKIA OR ITS SUPPLIERS/LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INDIRECT, WILLFUL, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, OR DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS OF YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE PHONE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THOSE RESULTING FROM DEFECTS IN THE SOFTWARE, SW OR DOCUMENTATION, OR LOSS OR INACCURACY OF DATA OF ANY KIND, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF NOKIA OR ITS SUPPLIERS/LICENSORS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN NO EVENT WILL NOKIA'S OR ITS SUPPLIERS/LICENSORS’ TOTAL CUMULATIVE LIABILITY OF EACH AND EVERY KIND UNDER THIS AGREEMENT EXCEED THE 50 POUNDS.

Data collected in the Research and the use of this data

NOKIA CORPORATION and its partners respect the privacy of the participants and strictly observe the applicable laws and regulations in its operations. The Data File Description on the personal data to be collected from the participants has been filed (Description of the File) with the Finnish Data Protection Ombudsman.

By signing this agreement You join the target group of the Research and give Your explicit consent for execution of the Research, for the installation of the SW in the Phone as well as for collection, processing and storage of the Research material and related personal data and traffic data as described in the File Description. The compiled data categories, as well as the data utilisation principles, are set forth in the following:

DATA CATEGORIES COLLECTED IN THE USER RESEARCH AND THE UTILISATION OF THE DATA

Among other the following data of the Phone utilisation will be collected in the Research:

Communication:

How many calls, and at which time calls are made and received
The number of persons with who calls has been done
How many messages, and at which time the messages (SMS, MMS, Email) are sent and received
The numbers of people to who messages have been sent

Use of software applications of the mobile phone

Installation and removal of software applications
The time and the duration of the software application utilisation
The number and time when photos or video clips are taken with the Phone camera
Photo attributes like saturation, flash, image resolution, etc.
Quantity of GPRS traffic generated by different phone applications (Kbytes)
Entering and deleting of calendar data (date and clock time)
General Information

Average number of contacts in contacts database
Utilization (blank / non-blank) of different contact fields: name, last name, address, etc.
The URL-addresses of the visited WWW and WAP-pages
Network signal strength during active phone or data call
Ring tone, profile and soft-key changes; time and attributes
Power on-off time
Format of message attachments (e.g. .jpg, .gif, .txt)
Country, network operator, and cell ID are recorded during active phone data call and messaging event (e.g. SMS, MMS, BT)
Usage of GPS feature (no actual location)
System information like battery level, RAM memory usage and utilization of mass memory (folder sizes)
No data related to the contents of communication (e.g. names, phone numbers or content) will be collected in the end-user research. Personal data (names, numbers, text) from phonebook or other applications will not be collected. No identification data relating to the communications will be collected e.g. name to whom person called or send SMS to. Regarding calendar, no data on what has been noted, only data on how much and when notes have been entered is collected.

Nokia Corporation uses the data collected in the Research for statistical purposes and will only disclose aggregated statistical data. Nokia Corporation does not disclose any identifiable personal data whatsoever to third parties, i.e. no data on the grounds of which an individual could be identifiable will be disclosed.

SW Application

A SW application will be installed on the mobile telephone received from Nokia Corporation to collect data on the utilisation of the mobile phone. The SW sends a daily report on the use of the mobile phone to hosted Nokia Corporation’s computer system. Nokia Corporation may update the SW by sending new versions of the SW to Participant’s mobile phone You are using for this study.

Costs for using the phone

You shall be responsible for all costs related to the use of the phone.

You approve that the delivery of the daily report to hosted Nokia Corporation’s computer system will incur a monthly telecommunication cost. The size of the data log transferred to Nokia Corporation is approximately 300kB or less per month. The fee charged depends on Your mobile operator. You shall be responsible for this cost.

End-User support

There are no dedicated telephone numbers for queries regarding this research survey. Questions related to the end-user research or research SW application should be directed to email address defined in the Q&A pages. You are instructed to contact e.g. Nokia retailer or Nokia help desk for normal phone related support or contact operator service desk for service and subscription related questions. Nokia Corporation is responsible for research related support only during the research period.

Last edited by cubwolf; 28-03-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Old 27-03-2007, 08:38 PM

Damn, sounds like I didn't get in then as I haven't received anything from them yet.
Shame, I was quite looking forward to a new phone for free. I thought I would've got in though as I filled in the form near enough instantly and they took my address etc;
Maybe next time. Thanks for the info.

Old 27-03-2007, 08:49 PM

I didnt get anything after filling the form in.
I emailed them to find out when i could expect the phone and just to get a copy of the t and c s .
Who knows. Fingers crossed eh

Old 27-03-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubwolf View Post
I didnt get anything after filling the form in.
I emailed them to find out when i could expect the phone and just to get a copy of the t and c s .
Who knows. Fingers crossed eh
Well that extra tid-bit has indeed got me crossing my fingers. I love my N80 but the thought of GPS on a phone has really got me excited. It'll make Geotagging my photos so much easier. I think I'll e-mail them myself. I assume you just replied to the e-mail address they sent the e-mail from?

Old 28-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

DAMN YOU~!! DAMN YOU ALL!!

When they say log on quick I think they need to change that to LOG ON NOW!!! As I did it a few hours after I had the mail, cause it wasnt working via logging on on my N0 :@ ... anyway... next time!

Have fun guys!