All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 28-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia Q4 2009 results, smartphone world market share up 5%

Nokia has released their Q4 2009 results, with net sales EUR 12 billion (down 5% YoY). Nokia's device and service division's profits were EUR 1.14 billion, up 130% year on year. Margins in devices and services were 14.9% (up 5.5% YoY and 3.5% QoQ). Converged devices sales (smartphone) were 20.8 million, compared with 15.1 million units in Q3 2008 and 16.4 million units in Q3 2009. As such, worldwide converged device ('smartphone') marketshare increased from 35% to 40% year on year.

Read on in the full article.

Old 28-01-2010, 12:39 PM
KPOM

This is good news for the company. They needed it. Where was the growth? Established markets, emerging markets, or both?

Old 28-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Unregistered

Share price up 10% !!!

Old 28-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
From the release:

Quote:
Our sequential market share increase was driven primarily by higher market share in Asia-Pacific, Middle East & Africa, Europe and North America. Our market share was sequentially down in Greater China and Latin America.
This is obvisouly overall, not just converged device. So it looks like it is good sales in Asia, Middle East and Europe that are mainly responsible

Old 28-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Unregistered

MISTAKE in article!

Operating profit increased 132% to EUR 1 141 million in Q4! There is NO "operating loss of EUR 426 million". It was in Q3.

Admin edit: Good catch, thanks. I think my copy and paste trigger finger got happy.

Old 28-01-2010, 01:13 PM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
Interesting

The Eseries has begun to set the pace in the industry(probably E71,E72) while the Nseries has have come down drastically, from Q3 '07 to Q2 '08 (N95;8GB all was well), from Q2 '08-Q1 '09(N96,N85,N79 lukewarm releases, N82 being the only saving grace), from Q1 '09 to Q4'09 (N97,N86,'97mini being let downs while N900 being only of questionable appeal)

Nokia's policies have made them lose loyal customers, I remember with what enthusiasm I bought N97,N85,N86 which later were,more or less, let down by one or the other issues.

What the Nseries needs right now is a device with all of the best of Nokia's features.Something as exciting, as Game changing, as a true multimedia experience, as my beloved N95(N82 if you might like).

Nokia, its time to unleash the bigger brothers of the N82 and the N95, they were fabulous devices,even without touchscreens, they chugged along without a hiccup,from doing everyday tasks to becoming the ultimate holiday companions.These phones ,literally sent my digicam packing. They, inadvertently, became an integral part of our lives.They were plastic,but survived being hit by solid metal, they looked flimsy, but they still worked even after we stepped on them.They were always reporting for duty,never faltered since the last 3 years.

Nokia,please do the needful.

I hope that the ongoing bad rep for Nokia be a passing phase and they do make a comeback with new devices instead of rehashed old-models.

Old 28-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nokia's policies have made them lose loyal customers
Most people would be of the opinion that increasing your market share by 5% in the smartphone sector - which gows ever bigger - increases your number of customers.

Old 28-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Unregistered

"Nokia's policies have made them lose loyal customers"

And gain new ones.

Learn to read much?

Old 28-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Founder / Chief

Thanks for pointing out that mistake. Apologies. A copy and paste mistake during some subsequent additions I think.

Old 28-01-2010, 01:56 PM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Most people would be of the opinion that increasing your market share by 5% in the smartphone sector - which gows ever bigger - increases your number of customers.
You are in denial of the jarring truth. Smartphone sector will grow.Why didn't anyone notice the steep fall of the Nseries sales, well, they used to be Nokia's crown jewels before, don't you agree.

By loyal customers,I don't mean people who purchase Numbered/Xpress Music devices, The crowd is of those people who purchase Nokia 'premium' 500$ smartphones, phones like (N95,N82 and the like) and mod the hell out of them. Nokia released such a device, the N900, but at 800USD and a brick form factor, it is not the one to own, it just does not cut it.

Moreover,companies always tell the upside in press releases, otherwise, they are bound to lose share holders. I have no interest in Nokia's overall growth, it is just so monotonous now, they are the bigwigs in the phone market,atleast in the EU,Asia etc and posting they made profit is like posting Michael Schumacher won the F1 race.

They will make profit, the thing of interest is by selling WHAT type of devices, which will help prospective buyers get an idea of Nokia's forte and decide on a smartphone company that meets their needs

Last edited by raffmonster; 28-01-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Old 28-01-2010, 03:06 PM

oniox is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffmonster View Post
You are in denial of the jarring truth. Smartphone sector will grow.Why didn't anyone notice the steep fall of the Nseries sales, well, they used to be Nokia's crown jewels before, don't you agree.

By loyal customers,I don't mean people who purchase Numbered/Xpress Music devices, The crowd is of those people who purchase Nokia 'premium' 500$ smartphones, phones like (N95,N82 and the like) and mod the hell out of them. Nokia released such a device, the N900, but at 800USD and a brick form factor, it is not the one to own, it just does not cut it.

Moreover,companies always tell the upside in press releases, otherwise, they are bound to lose share holders. I have no interest in Nokia's overall growth, it is just so monotonous now, they are the bigwigs in the phone market,atleast in the EU,Asia etc and posting they made profit is like posting Michael Schumacher won the F1 race.

They will make profit, the thing of interest is by selling WHAT type of devices, which will help prospective buyers get an idea of Nokia's forte and decide on a smartphone company that meets their needs
The N900 is 800USD ?? - WRONG !! Its currently only $542 at amazon.com (unlocked sim free) and Dell even had it at sub $500 recently. I got mine for 349 here in the UK. Dont just write it off as another brick, it actually looks robust and UI is sleek like butter - you need to use one before making judgement. Its a knockout - IMHO the most powerful and best smnartphone out there (I have not tried the Google phone yet but this N900 baby is full blown Linux with full multitasking not some iToy). I cant wait for the Maemo6 device !!. As for pure smartphones, the 5800XM is the best all rounder (consider the free Ovi maps boost)

Its good to see that people are smarter than the pundits give them credit for - they want a phone with flash and decent camera, multitasking, bluetooth file transfer, good sound and speakers that wont cost the earth. Three yrs from now, iPad wielding Apple will be on the periphery of this game.

Old 28-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

So it looks like Nokia is doing great in low-end smartphones and leaving high-end to other manufacturers. Too bad I do not care about boring phones with 240x320 resolution screens - that was interesting in 2005.... I hope the next flagship will not be similar to N96 or N97...

PS. I would also love removing so many warnings and messages in Symbian... I really do not need a message informing me, that "diverts are active" every time I make a call, and stupid message informing me, that I have connected the charger (I know that :-) or that I have disconnected the charger (I can see that without pointless warning on the screen).

Old 28-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

Flagships are not everything. Even in other brands, only minority buys them. I do agree Nokia needs to revamp the Nseries, but still this is just going to be for show and not profits. A lot of these low to mid level smartphones $200-$300 does most everything the consumers need and want. Nut I understand that they are not for you because you want a "flagship". Let us hope Nokia does something about it . But in the mean time you cannot deny the fact that they are doing well with the other non-flagship phones.
Ads

Old 28-01-2010, 03:58 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
As a shareholder I'm very pleased with my 10+% shareprice gain today giving me a 10% profit on my holding (guess where I bought'em yep been sitting on a scratch trade basically with few ups and downs since late Sep ). The improvement/stabilisation in Nokia Siemens has helped a lot as large portion of previous figs was a write down against this unit.

The phone sales are a marked inprovement and my favourite products the cheap 5xxx series seem to have done v well as have the E series. I think the E series looks pretty safe at the moment and might even pick up some trade in the business field from RIM (although they're doing brilliantly in the youth market,wierd, and out reach to Apps developers) but obviously a market for qwerty driven devices even amongst the younger sectors. I'm not quite so complacent about the 5xxx/Xx as X6 seems a bit of a fumble and seeing some decent introductions from SE (Vivaz+qwerty cousin tba)at top end of this segment and at the bottom end touch screen feature phones from LG and Samsung are offering some pretty fierce competition but as a range it has done Nokia proudly through tricky 18months.

The standout concern there as others have pointed out is the performance of the N series which is (unsurprisingly) pretty poor having suffered dramatic fall very little sign oof recovery at the moment which is a pity because although lower in volumes margins are higher in the sector(R&D included) it also serves to drive mindshare for devices app ecosystems and importantly it has been the standout growth sector over the last 2 years. Now I hope going forward that Nokia's gamble on dominating the middle to bottom tiers play s off as the smartphone growth pushes down into these sectors as I'm 100% sure Nokia are right it will take off but they need to make sure that they're also the devices that people want/aspire to own not put up withh before they can move on, i.e. I think Nokia's play is good (that's why I bought share- seemed cheap at time compared to other phone manfs) but I hope they make sure they are on board it when it takes off unlike nGage which they called but made such a mess of it that Apple were the company that 's ended up dominating mobile gaming. Which is why the topend "Explorer" segment cutting-ish edge devices are important and why it's important that Nokia compete more effectively in this space I feel.

Old 28-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Unregistered

Why are people talking about "loyal customers" ? Loyal customers in this market are going to be the tiny minority. Most customers are walk up and buy what suits them with whatever promotion is on.

I have a Nokia, if a phone from another manufactuer suited me better then I would buy it. These are just phone makers, not hairdressers.