All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 PM

traecer is on a distinguished road
Apps vs sites

In truth, I'm probably just fine with the Facebook mobile site. I don't use Facebook much, and I hate the full version of the site, so the mobile site is about right for me.

But I scrambled (too late, apparently) to grab one of the downloads for this app before it disappeared, thinking that it might (might) do something cool that I couldn't already do. But why? This whole thing brings up two questions:

1) Why are we so focused on apps now? Mobile sites are better and better, and most can even work on the S60 Browser in an N95. The other day I was annoyed when I realized Furtiv's Share Online YouTube plug-in is no longer "available" for the N95, until I realized YouTube's mobile site is at least as good as the Share Online plugin (it's not as integrated with the phone, but at least with YouTube's site you get an upload progress bar). Is it just because the iPhone has so many apps that we've decided we need them too? (IMHO, the iPhone needs so many apps because its built-in ones are mostly lame.)

2) OK, seriously, WHAT IS Nokia's deal with this Facebook app? It's apparently just a WRT app, right? So it should run on most S60 devices shipped in the past 3 years, right? Once it "escaped" the app store, it seems tons of people seem to be able to run it just fine, but they still keep it locked to the E71?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 AM

alweekes is on a distinguished road
Not working well on N78

Tried this app on my N78 (FP2), whilst it looks like it works, it hangs frequently and is unresponsive, which may explain why it isn't widely available for all phones.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

dcf file

i cicked on the link to the dcf file in my s60 browser downloaded it clicked on it and it installed like a sis file. The app works great on my 6790 surge. Thanks!

Old 28-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

maxi786 is on a distinguished road
I bought 10000 facebook fans on www.socialkik.com for my Business Fan page and I immediately started seeing the conversion rate of Orders/Visitors on my online store increase dramatically ! That was the best advertising investment I made
Ads