All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Unregistered

Maps 2.0 - Breadcrums?

Rafe/Steve, can we save the bread crumble trail? I.e. did they add logging and track/route loading? What are the prices for the traffic info?

Talking about performance, I think Map24 mobile thingy is the fastest and smoothest map-app on the N95 without local storage. It also has the lowest data-usage with the maps being vectorgraphics.

snoyt(.vox.com)

Old 10-02-2008, 03:20 PM

dergal is on a distinguished road
"What nokia needs to do is stop ripping people off and make it free. Whats the point for that ill buy a standard GPS with better performance."

Your absolutely right - I mean if its a similar price for a GPS unit as it is for the software, I know which one I would pay for - especially as v1 of he software did not compare to TomTom at all!

Gerry

Old 11-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

Nokia Maps 2.0 Beta

Nokia Maps 2.0 Beta and Nokia Map Loader 1.3.5 are now available at: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/maps

Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Maps 2.0 Beta Download

Appears Download has already been taken down?

Old 11-02-2008, 03:10 PM
bitflung

maps not taken down

nokia maps is still up at beta labs - weren't you able to download it? i just got it a minute ago: 11/02/2008 @ 10:06am EST

btw: nokia maps satnav has been plenty good for me, i dont agree with all the naysayers who want the feature for free. i've purchased the 3 year nav option and haven't regretted it even for a moment - and i bought the license back on maps 1.0 - the original software that shipped on my n95-1 back in july.

-jared

Old 11-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

Smile What about transfering 3 year licenses

Just wondering how they are going to handle the 3 year licenses from Maps 1.0 as you can no longer buy the equivalent packages on Maps 2.0

e.g. No longer possible to buy UK + Western europe for 3 years. Lets hope they don't expect me just to dump two years worth of license.

Hmmm

Aside from that possible issue, it looks much better than the last version and managed to upgrade without wiping my landmarks

Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Shame they leftt he majority of the users out in the cold...

The beta is only available for FP 1 phones, this from the Nokia site (http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2008/...ta/#comments):

> Note: this does *not* work on S60 3rd Edition devices, only the ones with Feature Pack 1.

Shame they left most of the current user base out in the cold. Also, people have been reporting tat once it is installed you can't remove it without reformatting your phone's memory - even if you have installed it on a SD card.

Looks like it is best avoided for now...

Old 12-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

Could it be that you can't purchase navigation for Western Europe at all with v2.0? I had a look through the list of available areas and I couldn't find it. Not any good if you i.e. want to drive from the UK to Germany and have to purchase navigation for three different areas.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Unregistered

> once it is installed you can't remove it without reformatting your phone's memory

"If your phone has an older version of Maps application in its firmware, it is not possible to uninstall the Beta version. To go back to the old Maps version, you will have to first remove e:\cities folder from your memory card and then install the older version from maps.nokia.com."

> Just wondering how they are going to handle the 3 year licenses
> from Maps 1.0 as you can no longer buy the equivalent packages on Maps 2.0

"A note, xxx-day license activated is displayed where xxx is the amount of days left on your license"

-----------

I experienced some baffling moments before I understood that in the big screen of E90 the menus "Options" and "Exit" have been incorrectly programmed, taking each other's place.

Old 17-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Unregistered

This new version of Nokia Maps is more prone to endless "calculating route" loops than earlier version. Another almost buglike behavior is to stubbornly clinging to an old route despite the new direction the vehicle is advancing. A few days ago it recalculated 4-5 times a "new" route whose only purpose was to lead me to back to the old route. The point where it gave up and calculated the right route: 24 km via the old route, 17 km via the new route. I did not see the old Maps-version behave so stupidly. Note that I had the "shortest" route option on. And I was in the city are with enough routes to choose.

Old 20-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Unregistered

No need to uninstall Nokia Map 2.0

Hi, I tried to delete the cities folder and then uninstall the maps application but unsuccessfully. In order to go to the older version, I have installed the upgrade file, which is nokia_maps_1_0_upgrade_ROM.sis and then I got the older version back.

I hope this helps you.

Adnan, UAE

Old 25-02-2008, 02:21 PM
DPX

I think it's pretty sad that even the walking navigation is going to be paid now. Guess Nokia is trying to lead everyone to google maps!

Old 27-02-2008, 07:00 AM

mhemil is on a distinguished road
Nokia Maps 2.0

I have downloaded and istalled Nokia Maps 2.0. However, my old navigation license (3 year for Wester Europe) cannot be transferred since this option does not show up in the list of available regions. Any workarounds?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Motassem is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Empty space on N76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergal View Post
"What nokia needs to do is stop ripping people off and make it free. Whats the point for that ill buy a standard GPS with better performance."

Your absolutely right - I mean if its a similar price for a GPS unit as it is for the software, I know which one I would pay for - especially as v1 of he software did not compare to TomTom at all!

Gerry
On my N76 had the same trouble from the Maps Beta version and reinstalling the old one. I have emptied all possible space to reinstall the old version of Nokia maps and yet when reinstalling the file mentioned by Adnan "thanks" it always tells me to empty more space.

Any idea on what else can I do to empty more space?

Motassem
Ads

Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 PM

Nokia Maps without Nokia Map Loader

Nokia Maps is a great free navigation app, but Nokia Map Loader is a horrible program. To make things worse, it needs hundreds of megs worth of .net framework. Imagine you need to get a local map on your phone in an internet cafe that won't let you install any software on their machines...

But now you can add maps without the bulky bloated Nokia Map Loader. Works on PC (Windows, Linux, doesn't matter) and Mac. If your phone talks WiFi or if you have unmetered 3G you don't even need to touch a computer to add maps to your memory card!

Links to all maps and instructions on http://nokiamaps.moo.no