All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Nyxmorph is on a distinguished road
FIRMWARE debrand upgrade failure!

I have just done the NSS firmware code change to EURO1 plum, then did a firmware upgrade. Was going well, it had upgraded, then it seems I made the fatal mistake of restoring my backup!

DONT RESTORE your backup. My phone now boots up and says "Phone start-up failed. Contact the retailer."

If anyone knows any other solution apart from getting a new one (Im going to just get one on the insurance if no other solution) I would be very interested! Shame no way to hard reset from switching it on, cos it seems it was the backup restore which mucked things up.
Ads

Old 16-05-2007, 02:35 PM

Crowman is on a distinguished road
Nyxmorph - Did you change the product code back before doing the restore ... it's essential the product code is the same as when the backup was done. Not sure if it'll help but it's worth a shot.

Old 16-05-2007, 02:36 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Exactly the same as mine - it was the restore that did it.

What fixed it for me was a hard reset. I think its --> Hold down green, * and 3 and while holding them turn the phone on. Keep holiding and the phone should boot up.

Hope it works for you.

Old 16-05-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Nyxmorph - Did you change the product code back before doing the restore ... it's essential the product code is the same as when the backup was done. Not sure if it'll help but it's worth a shot.
That explains it!

Old 16-05-2007, 02:42 PM

YAY!!!! That hard reset code works a treat PHEW ))) Thanks dude.

Hmm, its now says 'Installing ...' wonder what its doing now.

Last edited by Nyxmorph; 16-05-2007 at 02:45 PM.

Old 16-05-2007, 02:47 PM

It's such a releif when it comes back to life!

Old 16-05-2007, 02:48 PM

Crowman is on a distinguished road
That's what I love about this place .... problem at 3:26 ... fixed by 3:42 .... job's a good'un !

Old 16-05-2007, 02:49 PM

kamikazetype-r is on a distinguished road
I did the same with mine!

After the reflash it lost all sms and internet config setings, so restored the backup from memory card, and all the menus went a bit funny, and didn't respond or operate properly!

Did a hard reset and all was well again, and config settings were still there also

Old 16-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Sorry, quickly off topic, kamikazetype-r, do you drive a Type-r? If so which one?

Old 16-05-2007, 03:30 PM

kamikazetype-r is on a distinguished road
used to have an EP3 Type-R until January when I moved to central london, but then sold it as no need for a car...

Kamikaze was already taken so I took this name, feel a bit of a fake

Saw a new shape one today for the first time, looked but its a bit softer this time round... : (

Got a few pics on robin.carnuts.co.uk had a nice carbon bonnet on it. Won't let me post proper link as I haven't hit 10 posts yet!

You got one?

Old 16-05-2007, 03:49 PM

spendleb is on a distinguished road
I changed the product code and flashed and then did the back up but everything luckily works fine, must have been one of the lucky ones!

Old 16-05-2007, 04:01 PM

Right, well, after having a REALLY good play so I get the hang of this in the future and probably risking a brick around 4 or 5 times to see exactly what does and doesnt work ....

1) changed firmware code to the euro1.
2) did the Nokia software update and updated the firmware

Here is where the fun starts for me ...
If I restore ALL of the backup with the phone on EITHER product code it will stop the phone from booting up. YES, even if I change the product code back after the firmware update it still screws the phone up. (giggle I used the hard reset a few times during this playing!).

The only way I was able to restore the backup was to restore everything apart from SETTINGS. So basically I have contacts, calendar, text messages back but with loss of ... profiles, shortcut keys for standby screen, wireless LAN settings, bluetooth pairs etc.

I can live with this as I now have the SIP stuff which I can finally now try with the company SIP software. And also, I get that stupid media menu fixed YAY.

All in all, its a bit scarey, you just have to be careful not to restore the settings part of the back up.

Hope this helps someone in the future, and a big thanks to the people above who got me out of the this little mess )

PS I love the little change they have made to entering a WLAN key - you can now see the whole key if its a big un, so you can check it more easily as you enter it.

Last edited by Nyxmorph; 16-05-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Old 16-05-2007, 04:13 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxmorph View Post

The only way I was able to restore the backup was to restore everything apart from SETTINGS. So basically I have contacts, calendar, text messages back but with loss of ... profiles, shortcut keys for standby screen, wireless LAN settings, bluetooth pairs etc.
Brilliant work man, suffering so we don't have to!
Top man

Old 16-05-2007, 05:00 PM

PMitchell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
No offence meant, Crowman, but this is nonsense. Just WHY do people change their product code back?
It fails booting up, because the restore points to things not being there. A hard reset (as described above) will help you for sure.

Regards,
PM

Old 17-05-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxmorph View Post
Right, well, after having a REALLY good play so I get the hang of this in the future and probably risking a brick around 4 or 5 times to see exactly what does and doesnt work ....

1) changed firmware code to the euro1.
2) did the Nokia software update and updated the firmware

Here is where the fun starts for me ...
If I restore ALL of the backup with the phone on EITHER product code it will stop the phone from booting up. YES, even if I change the product code back after the firmware update it still screws the phone up. (giggle I used the hard reset a few times during this playing!).

I can live with this as I now have the SIP stuff which I can finally now try with the company SIP software. And also, I get that stupid media menu fixed YAY.

All in all, its a bit scarey, you just have to be careful not to restore the settings part of the back up.

Hope this helps someone in the future, and a big thanks to the people above who got me out of the this little mess )

PS I love the little change they have made to entering a WLAN key - you can now see the whole key if its a big un, so you can check it more easily as you enter it.
Excellent. Glad you've got it sorted.

kamikazetype-r - yep, I've got an EP3.