All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 26-07-2010, 10:10 AM

nuno123 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkZombie View Post
The one thing above all else thatApple does perfectly is supply firmware updates
And why? Because Apple cares about the user experience.

Does Nokia?

If they do, I cannot see it.

Old 26-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

The e71 was notorious for dust under the screen. And good support was nowhere to be found in the US. I emailed Nokia support and they wouldn't confirm nor deny that my issue was serviceable under my warranty, even as the thing was clogged with dust after only 2 weeks. I would have to pay to ship it there, and if they saw that there was no issue, I'd have to pay for shipping back, and they wouldn't even tell me what they would charge for shipping.

Service needs to be better than this to convince anyone that it's worth paying $300 for a phone that they can't take to their telco's local store for service!

Anyway, I waited a few months so I was reasonably sure nothing else would go wrong with the phone, bought a T9 torx screwdriver, and did the job myself!

This has me a bit scared to buy a touchscreen Nokia- non-touchscreen phones are so much easier to service yourself. That said, iPhones have the dust issue, as well, and I have no idea if AT&T will fix it.

Old 26-07-2010, 12:18 PM
bp101

I had dust under my E71 screen. It got in next to the d-pad. One of my all time favourite phones, but that was a disappointment.

Old 26-07-2010, 12:38 PM

mlee2808 is on a distinguished road
nokia care

for the record, i used the nokia care service in Galway in the west if Ireland and they were excellent. the first 2 times was because of a software problem and it was picked up within an hour. the 3rd and last time was to replace the screen lock which had stopped working which they fixed and replaced the back and side casing, it was handed back the following day. it would appear that if you can only use official nokia care service centers. i do sympathise with does of you who can't because i have found the service excellent.

Old 26-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Unregistered

dust under E71 too

My E71 is nearly 2 years old and has dust stuck under the screen. It's above the D-pad and projects to the centre of the screen. This makes me think the d-pad causes a breach in the layers.
Love the phone, eventually I'll have to get it cleaned.

Old 26-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OK, so what YOU mean is the iPhone 4, which does work fine unless you are stupid enough to try and make it fail by holding a 2mm spot if you are in a weak area, oh, and even if you manage to be that stupid, you would most likely find that it would WORK just fine.

3 million sold in 22 days, care to offer a better definition of success?

So how long have you had your iPhone 4? Oh, you don't have one? Aha, I see.

Um , re write history much?

When the users complained? um, 0.55% of 3 million.

Aha, you mean when the tech press lead by the scum at Gizmodo complained?

Well, when the whining got loud enough, Apple came out and said have a free case, return the phone, AND ALL WITHIN 22 DAYS. What is wrong with you?
Perhaps you should try visiting the Apple iPhone 4 forum and see just how "satisfied" iPhone 4 owners are.

Old 26-07-2010, 04:33 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Perhaps you should try visiting the Apple iPhone 4 forum and see just how "satisfied" iPhone 4 owners are.
How witty.

Have you tried talking with your friends & family? Those with iPhones and those with Nokias?

I have and guess who's the happier lot around me? (No prize for answering that one right.)

Old 26-07-2010, 09:45 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno123 View Post
How witty.

Have you tried talking with your friends & family? Those with iPhones and those with Nokias?

I have and guess who's the happier lot around me? (No prize for answering that one right.)
Not quite sure why you find that "witty". However, your dodgy sense of humour notwithstanding, I know many people who own Nokias who are perfectly happy with their phones, myself included. And, whether you agree or not (and I don't really care either way) it is perfectly clear that Apple have dropped the ball with the iPhone 4; time will tell how they go about fixing it and restoring their reputation for technical innovation combined with great design...

Old 27-07-2010, 01:12 AM

ClockworkZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno123 View Post
And why? Because Apple cares about the user experience.

Does Nokia?

If they do, I cannot see it.
I think this article by the Register about the book Uusi Nokia by Juhani Risku (New Nokia - the manuscript) shows a lot of managerial interference between the people who do care and the middle managers getting in the way.

Being more involved in Nokia than me, I imagine most of you will have seen it already

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...nifesto_risku/

I think the big difference with Apple and Nokia is Apple wants to make sure its brand is not tarnished by carrier indifference or ineptitude.

I had hoped android would follow the same path but it seems the handsets are still at the mercy of the carriers to supply firmware updates.

If my carrier made an application to install for all their branded stuff I would probably add it if it gave me the ability to use the latest firmware update from the manufacturer instead of waiting 6 months or more.

Old 27-07-2010, 08:53 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
it is perfectly clear that Apple have dropped the ball with the iPhone 4;
Your above comment, buster, is just the sort of thing I find "witty" (yes, there's sarcasm in there, I'm guilty).

I do not think many of the readers of this Forum care for the iPhone. If they did, they would be posting elsewhere. I, for one, have no interest in a system that is made by a control-freak company.

So, what is the issue? Apple cares about the user experience. They're control-freaks but they have captured the public's imagination (and virtually everybody don't see them as control-freaks). Ignoring this fact is digging a deeper hole for all things Symbian. It's really a pity to see where EPOC is sliding to: irrelevancy. And why? Nokia was complacent and all it took was a clever company (with the best marketing in the world).

So, buster, you're happy with your Nokia. Good for you. My Nokia creaks each time I press a button. It crashes. It was badly re-assembled after being twice to the service centre in the first three months (and spending more than two months out of my hands).

But, hei, stuff happens. One cannot judge a company for the quality of one device.

It is fairer to have a look at the company's approach to their users -- I insist on the distinction to "customers" (the netword/carriers/bit pipes).

Why has Nokia systematically produced "flagship" phones with limitations that are difficult to fathom? For example, memory has always been a bit of an issue.

Why has Nokia been unable to produce system software (OS and the application that go on top) in a more device-agnostic way allowing reuse between device types? Is the Ovi store the best Nokia can do?

Why has Nokia insisted on the sheer multitude of "product codes" per device type and make the few firmware upgrades they manage to release so hit-or-miss?

How does Nokia engage with the user-base? I simply don't see it. It is as if they only talk by proxy.

Why has Nokia failed to capture the user imagination? They actually did and not so long ago: the N95 was right there. Everywhere... In Europe and it almost raised an eyebrow in the US.

Which begs the next question: why has Nokia never been successful in the US? That I think I know the answer: they never managed to find a "customer", perhaps because the "users" never demanded the brand from their network providers.

I no longer trust Nokia. I no longer think they understand what the high-end is about.

Nokia's fine. Loads of phones sold. Still a big player. Right. Of course. That's what you can see on Nokia's share value.

So, buster, you're happy with your Nokia. I was happy with my Nokia. I was happy with my Nokia for many happy years. My mother-in-law is still happy with her Nokia.

"Was". I "was" happy.

Last edited by nuno123; 27-07-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Ads

Old 27-07-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkZombie View Post
Being more involved in Nokia than me, I imagine most of you will have seen it already

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...nifesto_risku/

I think the big difference with Apple and Nokia is Apple wants to make sure its brand is not tarnished by carrier indifference or ineptitude.
Spot on.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. It makes a lot of sense.

I holding to see what happens with Android 3.0 but they seem to doing the same mistakes as with Symbian with all that UI fragmentation.