All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ahonen and the USA's mobile tech 'lead'

Here's some Wednesday coffee break reading: you'll remember Steve Jobs claiming in 1997 that the original iPhone was five years ahead of the competition? Now AT&T's CTO has been bragging that "in the past 3 years, the US has been the clear leader when it comes to phones, design, operating systems and applications." Like a red rag to a bull - top industry analyst Tomi Ahonen here rips into the claims and points out the innovation from Japan and Finland, among others. His metrics also point to the USA now rising to 19th in the world in terms of mobile adoption and technology, now level with, ahem... Portugal. Grab a hot drink and treat yourself!

Read on in the full article.

Old 14-07-2010, 10:07 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here's some Wednesday coffee break reading: you'll remember Steve Jobs claiming in 1997 that the original iPhone was five years ahead of the competition
If the iPhone had come out as you say in 1997, it would have been about 10 years ahead of its time, and we'd have the iPhone HD13GS or something now. :-)

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 14-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Unregistered

Gosh, what a pointless rant from Tomi.

And aren't RIM of Blackberry fame Canadian?
Ads

Old 14-07-2010, 11:52 AM
bp101

Everything I read by that bloke makes him sound like he's in the throes of a nervous breakdown. Calm down man, geez! His horrible anti-americanism does him no favours either.

Old 14-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

He seems pretty calm to me and neither is the rant pointless. Any of you armchair warriors disagree, why not go and rebutt his points. He seems very open to criticisms as well.

Old 14-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Unregistered

Contrary to the other commenters here, i know Tomi personally and have attended mobile industry events with him. He is VERY well respected globally in the industry, and is FAR more of a mobile expert than ANY tech journalist out there or for that matter most industry professionals including the head of AT&T. The world's biggest mobile co's pay him for his opinion. Just because you don't like or agree with what he's saying doesn't mean he's wrong, unless you can justify and prove it.

The US is a heavily introspective, biased and limited place in the mobile world today, and them thinking they're leaders will only damage their position. As Tomi says, other places are far in advance. Anyone thinking iPhone or Android is state of the art needs to educate themselves. There's a reason Nokia are the global leader in smartphones and will remain so, and the N8 is yet another example of why.

Old 14-07-2010, 01:33 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
He is obviously one of the leading and most respected experts on the industry. IMO he is just a bit too hung up on words and text book definition of them. "Innovation" for example (not that Mr. Donovan used the word).

ps. I did post an ameteurish (that's all I am) comment along the same lines on his blog.

Old 14-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
He seems pretty calm to me and neither is the rant pointless. Any of you armchair warriors disagree, why not go and rebutt his points. He seems very open to criticisms as well.
Why when Tomi is answering a claim about "when it comes to phones, design, operating systems and applications." does he need to rant on with several paragraphs about how many people in the US have a phone/data contract? (market penetration). What does mobile take-up by consumers in the US have to do with the ability of US developers and engineers to produce leading mobile products and software?

He is actually arguing a claim that the boss of AT&T didn't make, which is what makes it pointless.

Old 14-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Why when Tomi is answering a claim about "when it comes to phones, design, operating systems and applications." does he need to rant on with several paragraphs about how many people in the US have a phone/data contract? (market penetration). What does mobile take-up by consumers in the US have to do with the ability of US developers and engineers to produce leading mobile products and software?

He is actually arguing a claim that the boss of AT&T didn't make, which is what makes it pointless.
Why dont you pose that question to him directly, instead of slagging him off here. He answers every questions. Go get your answers!

Old 14-07-2010, 03:03 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Its to back up his point that the US are *not* the global leaders in mobile communications. For the most part the rest of the world have generally ignored the totally unfounded claims made that the US leads in this arena.

The article was a tad long-winded, but it did make sense, quite a coherent argument. Although if I'd been asked to review, i would have added a few more points ....

Old 14-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Its to back up his point that the US are *not* the global leaders in mobile communications. For the most part the rest of the world have generally ignored the totally unfounded claims made that the US leads in this arena.
That makes no more sense than the article. The AT&T guy didn't claim more market penetration. He claimed leading produts in the marketplace.

Old 14-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Why dont you pose that question to him directly, instead of slagging him off here. He answers every questions. Go get your answers!
So you are suggesting that, even though there is a link to the article and a discussion forum attached here, the article should not be discussed here?

Old 14-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

Prepaid Mobile Broadband in Europe (Sweden)

On holiday in Sweden I entered a 3 (Tre) Shop, got a prepaid Broadband-SIM-Card and a Huawei E122 USB-Modem for SEK 199,-- (appr. 20,--). It took me five minutes to get it. The package includes 1 week mobile broadband (3.5 G) and also works in my E52 perfectly (incl. tethering, it's a nokia, not a iPhone).

Try this in the U.S.! See http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...n_Challeng.php.

Old 14-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ahem. 1997 = 2007. Corrected.

[shucks] I'm ALWAYS getting the decade wrong, still can't get used to the fact that we've now had a DECADE in the 21st century. Amazing.

Old 14-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So you are suggesting that, even though there is a link to the article and a discussion forum attached here, the article should not be discussed here?
I'm suggesting the article makes perfect sense to me, but apparently not to you. So go get your answer from him, coz nobody here can answer on his behalf. The man's got the data and the facts (and the balls) to counter any arguments thrown at him, in a very civilised manner. You should do the same.