All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-06-2003, 03:02 PM

importing contacts.cdb ?

Well, I guess that should be a typical problem, so I'm hoping there will be an easy way to deal with it.
I copied the contacs.cdb by using a file manager to my pc (that bloody pc suite didn't want to backup because of the amount of files > 2000), then my handy crashed and it had to be replaced with a new one. Now I would like to import the contacts.cdb (I don't want to add more than 130 contacts manually). Does anybody know how to do that? Using a file manager doesn't work, 'cause the file contacts.cdb is always (?) open. I don't own outlook (and don't want to use it just for backup purposes).

Then I tried to shut down running tasks and programs with AppMan (to close the contacts.cdb) but had no luck. What tasks have to be shut down so I could replace the contacts.cdb with my old one? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 20-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
The contacs are in use when the Phone app is running.The only way i know of that can overwrite the Contacs.cdb file is by starting the phone in Flight Mode.You can do that with program called Sytem Tools from www.psiloc.com,the demo version will do fine i guess.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 20-06-2003, 06:08 PM

Manowar is on a distinguished road
Also, you could use SmartVCard from SymbianWare.

Old 20-06-2003, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Using SmartVCard? How?

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 20-06-2003, 09:45 PM

Well, I have a problem cos I can not connect the PCSuite with my 7650 and I can not make backups. Then I use SmartVCard to create one *.vcf file with all my contacts and thumbnails. Then I export this file to my PC and that´s all, I have a security copy.
Of course the other way is what you say, exporting contacts.cbd using Flight mode.

Old 20-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

It seems that you missunderstood x3Ray's situation.He does not want to backup his phone,all data on his phone has been erased and he wants to restore the Contacs.cdb file which he copied earlier,so the only way is by using Flight Mode.

BTW: Thanks for the SmartVCard tip!!!Finally an easy way to retain the thumbnail images.

Old 21-06-2003, 09:06 AM

Yeah, you are right ops: my english is very poor, hehehe! I did not understand him at the first time!
Ads

Old 22-06-2003, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
BTW: Thanks for the SmartVCard tip!!!Finally an easy way to retain the thumbnail images.
Possible also using Contacts Manager (you need to enable it in Options, though).

BR
Brickette

Old 23-06-2003, 04:35 AM

yucca is on a distinguished road
Hi

Funny that they haven't implemented overwriting the CDB to their filemanagers, it's infact quite easy.

I made filebrowser that does that as well, in case you want to check it oout, send me email (jusilven@hotmail.com)

yucca

Old 23-06-2003, 04:47 AM

peter is on a distinguished road
Can anyone shed some light on what SmartVcard is/does? Thanks

Just Say No to Unlicensed Software and Peer-to-Peer Services

Still wondering why we need smartphones and looking here for some good reasons

Old 23-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

For full documentations,try www.symbianware.com

Old 23-06-2003, 03:56 PM

CiaranMcNulty is on a distinguished road
Re: importing contacts.cdb ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3Ray (guest)
I tried to shut down running tasks and programs with AppMan (to close the contacts.cdb) but had no luck. What tasks have to be shut down so I could replace the contacts.cdb with my old one? Any help would be appreciated.
x3Ray - I did this recently and it's fairly easy.

First connect to your new phone in PCSuite and do a full backup. Then, on your PC, find the backup files (probably in C:\Nokia\Your phone name\backup\internal) and find the small contacts.cbd file there. Overwrite this with your old contacts.cdb.

Then reconnect to the phone using PCSuite and do a restore. The restore process will shut down all the tasks that need to be shut down and will therefore be able to overwrite the contacts.cdb on the phone with your backed up copy.

Once the restore has finished, the contacts should all be present on the new phone, including any picture thumbnails! Like I said I just did this recently when I had to get a replacement handset but only wanted to keep the contacts.

Hope this helps!

-Ciaran

Old 04-07-2003, 02:50 PM

great solution ciaran. had the same problem today and your fix worked perfectly.

Old 07-07-2003, 03:35 PM

CiaranMcNulty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev23f
great solution ciaran. had the same problem today and your fix worked perfectly.
Glad to hear it!

-C