All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-12-2004, 12:25 PM

coolice is on a distinguished road
Copy Contacts.cbd from PC To 6630

Hey All,

Thought this might be of use to some people.
Having just changed phones from a 6600 to a 6630 I was a little worried about copying my contacts across to my new phone, especially as I had sold my 6600 before my 6630 arrived.

So, eventually I managed to get the Contacts.cdb file from C: - System - Data to my PC, the hard part of getting it back to C: on the 6630 was puzzling me.
Some searches on this very forum revealed some nice ideas that some of the 9210 & Sony boys had used.

Basically you cannot just over-write the file on C: as it is being used, I tried all the process viewers to shut down any running apps that may use the contacts, but this was fruitless. Then I saw a little trick whereby during a "backup to MMC" this process automatically shuts down any un-used processes.
I then found out the best option is to use the very good & free FExplorer by Domi to copy and paste the Contact.cdb file.

So what I did was :-

1. Open FExplorer, copy the Contacts.cdb file from your MMC and navigate back to C: - System - Data folder.
2. Now press the menu key to view the menu and start a "backup to MMC". It was suggested to make sure you have something to backup so it takes a little longer, giving you more time.
3. As soon as the backup starts press and hold the menu button to switch back to FExplorer. As quick as you can press options, Edit and paste.
Voila, the contacts.cdb in my case got over-written with the one from my 6600.
A quick check reveals that all is well and I have my contacts once more, I'm very swiftly going to backup my 6630.

It's long winded I know, but thought it may be of interest to some people.

Ian

Old 22-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Great trick coolice!I'm making it stick.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 22-12-2004, 04:27 PM

can16358p is on a distinguished road
Nooooo!!!

It was my way my trick

Wasn't there also a file named CntModel.ini ???
I have it on my N-Gage which contains a part of the contacts database.

Old 22-12-2004, 05:23 PM

Hey GhostDog,

Brilliant, hopefully it will benefit others as it has myself.

can16358p :- Were you in a discussion in the 9210 & P900 forum's?
I got the lead from there, modified it a bit and bobs your uncle job done.

"Wasn't there also a file named CntModel.ini ???" :- Don't know, just wanted to over wite my Contacts.cdb file and luckily managed to do it.

Ian

Last edited by coolice; 22-12-2004 at 05:26 PM.

Old 22-12-2004, 06:15 PM
DrChris

To copy contacts/pics/msg's from 6600 to 6630 i used tools/transfer application, which uses bluetooth to do exactly that.
Couldnt be easier....

Old 22-12-2004, 10:24 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChris
To copy contacts/pics/msg's from 6600 to 6630 i used tools/transfer application, which uses bluetooth to do exactly that.
Couldnt be easier....

Coolice had already sold his 6600 so couldn't use the transfer App, this is for people like him.

Personally I just sync'ed by 7610 with Outlook, then sync'ed from Outlook back to my 6630
Ads

Old 22-12-2004, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkat
Coolice had already sold his 6600 so couldn't use the transfer App, this is for people like him.

Personally I just sync'ed by 7610 with Outlook, then sync'ed from Outlook back to my 6630
Hey,

Your dead right. I wanted to keep hold of the 6600 until I got my 6630 so I could easily copy the contacts across, however someone offered me the money for it so it went sooner.
Thinking ahead I managed to grab a copy of the contacts.cdb with the view to just over-writing the original, it was harder than I thought but all sorted now.

Ian

Old 12-01-2005, 02:04 AM

fannypad is on a distinguished road
How can I copy the Contacts.cdb file from the phone to my PC in the first place?

Tried sending it with FExplorer to no avail ("already in use"), and copy-and-paste doesn't work either.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannypad
How can I copy the Contacts.cdb file from the phone to my PC in the first place?

Tried sending it with FExplorer to no avail ("already in use"), and copy-and-paste doesn't work either.
Hey,

I think I used PC File Manager to do this part. Some of these PC based phone file explorers allow you to copy any file without hassle.

Again you could try also making to phone perform a backup to MMC and then using the file explorer make a copy and paste it to the MMC just as the .CDB file.
Again during the backup most of the operations are shut down, meaning you can make the copy.

Let me know how you get on. I had all these problems and just kept perservering till I got what I wanted.

Ian

Old 28-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Mobile Diva

Darla is on a distinguished road
Great Job Coolice!!!
Now I'm wondering if you can do the same for bookmarks. My 6630 should be here tomorrow and I'll have to transfer the info from the 6600. My contacts aren't really the problem. Its transferring my bookmarks.

If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else.

Old 28-01-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla
Great Job Coolice!!!
Now I'm wondering if you can do the same for bookmarks. My 6630 should be here tomorrow and I'll have to transfer the info from the 6600. My contacts aren't really the problem. Its transferring my bookmarks.
Hey Darla,

Thanks for the compliment & it's good to see you again and with a new phone to, like me we then just hop forums.

I'm glad I done it now, as apart from saving me loads of hassle it appears to have helped a few others to.

Right now to bookmarks. I'm sure you could probably use the same sort of trick really, as soon as you know where the bookmark file is to copy.
I've never even looked for or heard of the file type that is a bookmark on a Symbian phone.
Perhaps if anyone can tell us that then you could try using the same technique as above to copy them over.

Will be a good one to hear if it was successful or not, keep us informed.

Ian

Old 02-02-2005, 12:56 PM

suri is on a distinguished road
bro how to copy.cdb file, when i copy through explorer and paste it mmc it says file in use pls help thank u.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suri
bro how to copy.cdb file, when i copy through explorer and paste it mmc it says file in use pls help thank u.
Hey,

You need to do the pasting while the phone is backing up, as while it is all processes that don't need to be running are shut down.

What I done was get FExplorer ready, go to e: & copied the Contacts.cdb I wanted, then navigated to C:
Then press the menu button & initiate a back-up.
Press & hold the menu button again to view all running processes and select FExplorer. Open it and go options - paste.
Voila, job done. Let it finish the backup and restart.

Ian

Old 11-02-2005, 05:40 AM
Mobile Diva

Darla is on a distinguished road
Hey Coolice!!

Well it worked!!! A bit different from your method but still proven positive. Basically what I did was using fexplorer, I sent the bookmarks1.db via bt from my 6600 to my 6630. This file can be found under C: Systems/Data. I wouldn't suggest copying this file to a phone that already has bookmarks stored on it because the file will override it. Works best on a new phone. Also, I noticed that sometimes the bookmarks won't work, but the reason for that is you have to go in and redit the access point of the bookmarks.

Thanks Ian for getting my brain working!!!

If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:54 PM

Hey Darla,

Brilliant, Im glad a guide to do another thing helped you think of a way of doing what you you wanted.

Thanks for posting what you done, I think others will also benefit from it.

Glad to of helped out, your very welcome.

Ian