All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 20-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
OLED-equipped Samsung I7110 gets official

I'd have classed this as a leak, but the language over at Symbian-Freak's site for this story is 100% convincing of being part of a genuine Samsung press release. The I7110 apparently has an OLED screen, similar to that in the Nokia N85, but is in a candy bar form factor and with familiar 5mp/GPS/Wi-Fi specs. We'll doubtless get more (and more official photos) of this tomorrow at the actual Smartphone Show.

Read on in the full article.

Old 20-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

It's definately not a leak.Here is the official Samsung Mobile press release site:http://press.samsungmobile.com/press...?messageId=485
Here are two official pictures of i7110:

Old 20-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Yes, thanks, got that now. Added to the story! Samsung really are terrible at releasing stuff though - not a word about this on their other main sites and the Samsung Mobile RSS feed doesn't play well with RSS feed aggregators 8-(

Old 20-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Unregistered

The picture shown here is different from one on symbian freak the keypad apperas to be different.

Old 20-10-2008, 10:08 AM

macwhu is on a distinguished road
samsung obviously subscribe to the immitation school of design
the INNOV8 was a more or less direct copy of the N95 8gb
and this is a bastard child of the N70 and SLVR, c'mon design something yourselves samsung

Old 20-10-2008, 10:48 AM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
Does it have a 3.5mm headphone jack?

Since it's a S60 phone I really wish Nokia S60 software could run on it. I'm rather fond of Nokia Maps, and while N-Gage doesn't have any killer games yet (in my opinion), it would still be nice to have N-Gage for future games that are hopefully very good.

This is the most good-looking S60 candybar I ever seen, but if I have to choose between looks and software, I go with software. Like N-Gage.

Last edited by Kazutoyo; 20-10-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Old 20-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

wow this looks like it wants to compete with the n85 with all the similar specs. Only difference to me seems to be less memory for apps and the candy bar form factor, guess they trying to put it out to people who aren't too fond of sliders but want the specs of the n85

Old 20-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Nice to see Samsung continuing their drive into the Symbian world, presumably at some point we'll see a touchscreen S60 model from them too.

Quote:
samsung obviously subscribe to the immitation school of design
To be fair, pretty much all the manufacturers steal at least something sometimes.

Remember the N76? :-)

Old 20-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Unregistered

samsung is becoming the new s60 king great design let's hope that samsung continue to bring the fight to nokia's door steps

Old 20-10-2008, 03:27 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
samsung is becoming the new s60 king great design let's hope that samsung continue to bring the fight to nokia's door steps
I agree. Samsung phones seem to be more beautiful these days. I just loved the design and the looks of the Inno8. But I am of the opinion that Nokia phones are better overall, are more robust (i cant remember the number of times I have dropped my phones, and it still works) and have better screen quality, etc. Hence I prefer Nokia as of now.

Old 20-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Unregistered

Perhaps a dumb question...

I'm a Nokia S60 through and through. This phone looks great though. My question is really simple: will all S60 software work on this phone, or when creating software, do developpers need to develop for hardware and OS? Meaning, will HandyTaskman for example work on this?

Note: I know there is a compatibility issue between Feature Pack 1 and 2, and that some software won't work on FP2 if made for FP1. But the question remains, is a software is designed to work for say the N85, will it work on this phone?

Thanks

PS: I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but hey, I could be wrong

Old 20-10-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
To be fair, pretty much all the manufacturers steal at least something sometimes.

Remember the N76? :-)
Well said . The N76 was a rip-off off the RAZR. Shame on Nokia for ripping a Motorola.

Old 20-10-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But the question remains, is a software is designed to work for say the N85, will it work on this phone?
Ideally it should, but it may not. Already there are themes available on S60.com that work on Nokia but not on Samsung... Also there are some apps that work on Nokia only... Even within Nokia, there are apps that do not work on certain Nokia phone models. So IMO the answer is - universal S60 should, but all may not.

Old 20-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Am using Samsung i480 (am not sure about the model) theme in my E90 Communicator...the theme is name is Rythmical and its bulit in Samsung..its great for E90 black,,,but this just a theme am not sure 100% about applications but on www.gsmarena.com talking about LG Communicator KG610 (again am not sure about the 610) they said all applications from 3rd party work flawlessly but nothing from Nokia work like Ngage or Maps...common Ngage dont work on many Nseries devices...but cautions LG KG is FP1 not FP2.

Old 20-10-2008, 09:44 PM

Enizmitic is on a distinguished road
Nice job...

I really like what Samsung has been doing with hardware lately. They have brought out a number of powerful devices with excellent build quality.

What hinders my move to Samsung is SERVICES. Nokia has many value added services that they offer to consumers of their hardware that can't be used on other handsets. I just hope Samsung continues to develop devices like this along with a strong emphasis on providing value added services like Nokia does.