All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 20-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Asphalt 4 out now on N-Gage platform

The arcade racing game Asphalt 4: Elite Racing is now available on the next gen N-Gage platform. To see it, go to the Showroom tab on the far right, select "Options", then "Update Now". It should be visible in the "Latest Games" section, or alternatively click on "Available Games". (Also worth noting that the prequel, Asphalt 3, is still available on N-Gage and has been reduced in price to 7 euros.)

Read on in the full article.

Old 20-01-2009, 09:01 PM
tsunam

so no mp for asphalt 4 through wifi???? ngage is getting boring with single player games. ngage should have been a community (if im not mistaken) but by the games that are coming out they dont seem to show that ngage wants to create a community. ngage classic was far more better. games LASTED MUCH LONGER and were more entertaining than the ‘next gen’ remember pathway to glory, pocket kindom, rifts, elders scroll …. lets hope ngage will have better games in the future and with mp(btw gameloft games always depress me,maybe thats why im not so optimist and im criticising alot ngage)btw 1 last thing iphone is getting mp over wifi with games such as real footbal and ferrari if im not mistaken…

Old 20-01-2009, 09:23 PM

Alexis mil is on a distinguished road
Asphalt 4: Elite Racing

@ tsunam

it does have bluetooth mp , you should buy it and see how good this game is ,so stop talking bad about the n-gage platform , come on , buy it and try to beat me @ n-gage arena! (lets play some reset generation!)

Best Regards.
AlexisMil

Never can beat me

Last edited by Alexis mil; 20-01-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Old 20-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
ngage classic was far more better.
Not in its first year it wasn't. The games on next gen N-Gage now are miles miles better than anything the classic N-Gage had in its first twelve months.

Classic N-Gage launched with absolute rubbish like Puyo Pop, next gen N-Gage launched with brilliant exclusives like Creatures Of The Deep.

You mention Rifts, but that was released two years after classic N-Gage launched, and it was virtually impossible to buy it anywhere because shops had stopped stocking the games by then.

Next gen N-Gage has really only just launched, the first phones with it built-in only appeared a few months ago. You've got to give next gen a chance to get established before you compare it with the entire three years of the original generation.

Quote:
games LASTED MUCH LONGER
Classic N-Gage games cost 50 euros each.

Next gen N-Gage games cost 7 to 10 euros each.

If you're going to compare playing time, you should add up the playing time of five or six next gen N-Gage games for every classic N-Gage game.

Old 20-01-2009, 10:19 PM
tsunam

at alexis mill

noooo lol im not going to waste 10euros for a game that is almost the same as asphalt 3 and abit better than asphalt 4 sis version lol. the demo does not even encourage you to buy the game it doesnt let you finish even a race...
btw i know it has bt mp but not everyone has a n-gage device or buys ngage games around me so its A BIT difficult to find someone to play with. so it would be easier if there was wifi...
and NO im not stoping to criticise about the ngage platform as i want it to succeed. if you close your eyes and you want to believe that everything is nice and great its a mistake (thats up to you) but nokia if really believes in n-gage it should really look at what other competitors have and are doing. without competition and without constructive criticisim everything dies. btw reset gen is the kind of game ngage needs

Old 20-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
without competition and without constructive criticisim everything dies.
Saying that 50 euro games last longer than 10 euro games isn't constructive criticism. :-)

The N-Gage platform isn't a games console, it won't succeed if it tries to do console-like games. That was part of the problem on the original N-Gage, people don't want to buy 50 euro games for a mobile phone.

Quote:
noooo lol im not going to waste 10euros for a game that is almost the same as asphalt 3 and abit better than asphalt 4 sis version lol. the demo does not even encourage you to buy the game it doesnt let you finish even a race...
Whatever we think of Asphalt 3, it remains one of the best-selling games on the new N-Gage platform, selling more than practically all other titles. It appeared on almost every N-Gage sales chart, when most titles only appeared for a few weeks before dropping out.

I think Gameloft have done a mostly shoddy job in porting games to N-Gage (especially the demos, some of which are only 20 seconds long!), but it's sales that count most, and Gameloft games are selling well on the new platform.

It's the same situation with EA on games consoles, for years people have complained about their games being badly done and generic, yet they sell in massive amounts. Gameloft is the EA of mobile phones, we might dislike their games but we can't dismiss them either.

Old 20-01-2009, 10:56 PM
tsunam

"saying that 50euro games last longer than 10euro games isnt construtive criticsm"
no i was stating a fact lol. the best classic ngage games you used to play for hours, you didnt finish them in under 45mins.
well then then lets at least hope worms will have mp and we can hang out there ;P this a msg for you to alexis mill cu on worms if it will ever come out with mp over wifi hehe cu

Old 20-01-2009, 11:21 PM

rottie is on a distinguished road
I miss Pandemonium and Tony Hawk so much that I was even concidering buying a Nokia N-Gage just to play those two titles.
Brilliant brilliant games and controls on classic N-gage were spot on!

Old 20-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I miss Pandemonium and Tony Hawk so much that I was even concidering buying a Nokia N-Gage just to play those two titles.
Pandemonium will apparently be coming to N-Gage later this year:

http://www.allaboutngage.com/games/i...ndemonium1.php

Tony Hawk doesn't seem to be on the way, but there's a Tomb Raider game coming:

http://www.allaboutngage.com/games/i...Underworld.php

One or both of these may be handled by Ideaworks3D, who did the original gen N-Gage versions of all three games. They've been very active on next gen N-Gage, doing Metal Gear Solid, System Rush Evolution and Mile High Pinball, all of which got very good reviews.

Old 21-01-2009, 01:32 AM

Alexis mil is on a distinguished road
N-Gage 2.0

@ tsunam

well tsunam , i have to agree with Tzer2 , you can belive what im going to say , or go to check on my ovi share site under alexismil , i am a big fan of n-gage , huge fan , and in my ovi share photos , you can see , my big collection of n-gage games , all of those who i spent 34 dlls or more , i bought them in pieces of 2 games or 3 games by every visit to the mall , and yes , Tzer2 says a true story , the n-gage classic in the first year , wasnt that georgeous , you can name the great first n-gage titles , call of duty , pathway to glory , pocket kingdom , high seize , operation shadow , ASHEN , GLIMMERATI , ONE , and of course , REQUIEM OF HELL , oh , i have missing WORMS , the WORMS WORLD PARTY , SIMS , and a lot of great games , ok , so im missing a few , i cant write all the huge great games on the n-gage classic , but , most of them werent in the launch year , they came after it , when all the n-gage game dept had more experience from previous games

omg , i missed KING OF FIGHTERS , well , i missed to write it , because i lost the retail box :P

anyway , i love the new n-gage generation , its just starting , everything has to begin in somewhere , you like it or not , but some things are ment to fail first to rebuild itself from the ground to succeed!

i think the first n-gage era learned from the mistakes it took , and yes , the big mistake was to try to be a gaming phone , but now , in my city , people like to have a mobile phone with great games on it , thats why they have 5 or 6 n-gage titles on them , casual gamers , keep them happy , create good games , and they (us) will be buying from you.

Best Regards
AlexisMil

Last edited by Alexis mil; 21-01-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Old 21-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

i paid 40 euros on Colin McRae Rally on classic N-Gage and i really loved the game. But now i would pay even 5 euros for Ashalt Elite. Why, because the graphics are inferior comparing to Nokia´s own Global Race Raging Thunder on my N95.
Ads

Old 21-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Unregistered

Why are there so little updates on this game from the .sis version
Yet again a game has been ported from symbian to n-gage with only rankings and point pickups as upgrades, the graphics still have framerate issues, and the control isnt any better. the iphone version came out ages ago with tilt control and wifi mulitplayer, but apparantly it takes longer to develop the exact same game as the s60v3 version for n-gage and add nouthing to it.
For anyone who is counting this now adds to crash nitro kart, asphalt 3, midnight pool, fifa 08 fifa 09 and probably a few others that i havent bothered to play as games that are exactly the same as there s60v3 counterparts. The only improved port so far is brothers in arms, and the only games worth playin are the ones designed for n-gage, like reset generation, MGS Resi and ONE
I am not looking forward to prince of persia, real football 09, tomb raider, spore or pandemonuim as all these games are already available, and will most likely come to n-gage as exactly the same games again

Old 21-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

I accept that many of Ngage Games are same as the.sisx versions available, I wonder when Nokia is going to release the new SDK, is the ngage team crazy or something? what are they upto?

Why are they waiting when they can make use of the accelerometer or 3D Accelerator Card, just Imagine the innovative games they can write using these features.

I accept that Nokia does have some few far excellent games!!
but i dont understand why most other games are like the normal .sis games, in that case why is there even a need for this Ngage title?

Ngage should have been an altogether different platform itself? far more advance than the normal .sisx format !! How more appealing, attractive and crowd puller that would have been!!

At present what is the great difference between any .sisx and an .ngage game
Maybe in some time we may even find ngage games tweaked by hakers to run as normal .sis games on any symbian phones?

Hope so soon Ngage games really stand out and outperform any .sis games !!!

looking at the current scenario of Ngage I feel we can actually have a long lasting debate on this topic !! Just joking buddy!!

Old 21-01-2009, 03:02 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
For 99% of consumers it does not matter whether a games is .sis, java, whatever. All they care about is ease of access (something Nokia still needs to improve) and that they game is fun - even graphics and "cool community and online features" are secondary (not saying that they are not important for N Gage's future success, mind you). Asphalt 3 and TETRIS (!!!!!) are probably the biggest selling games on N-Gage so far.

Old 21-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Unregistered, calm down, this is just a phone game platorm! :-)

As Viipottaja says, Asphalt 3 has sold really well on N-Gage, and that's probably the biggest reason Asphalt 4 is on the platform.

I agree that A3 and A4 aren't the best games on N-Gage, but a lot of people buy them, and it's sales that count because sales make money.

Quote:
At present what is the great difference between any .sisx and an .ngage game
The two main differences are that N-Gage games are easier to try and buy, thanks to the N-Gage application, and the community interaction is potentially much better too.

A3 and A4 don't use community features very well, but that's down to Gameloft who published them. Nokia's games tend to use community features better, especially titles like Reset Gen and Pro Series Golf.

I think we need to give N-Gage to the end of 2009 to prove itself, as it's going to take time for it to gain a userbase (as people upgrade their phones) and developers take time to learn how to use the SDK properly. There are also new SDK versions on the way which should add options like graphics hardware support.