webos
windows mobile
bada

Old 23-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho27 View Post
I find it shocking that everyone seems to be missing the biggest point of all... USER INTERFACE!!!
Errr.. you've rather missed the point of my piece. I was looking at pure real world functions that are important to me, trying to see whether an N1 could replace an N97 just for those functions.

See my *other* pieces on AAS for direct interface/form factor/feature comparisons.

Old 23-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by daos View Post
And does it explain everything? And what about areas with full country 3g+ coverage with no nokia maps, nor is going to be(at least according nokia officials)?
Like where exactly? Full 3G coverage is difficult and expensive for everything less than congested central Europe. Also Google maps is available for Symbian, but it does not include turn by turn navigation until sometime in the future.

Old 23-02-2010, 02:44 PM
lesiki

3 points for android...

1) 'Unregistered' claims Nokia Messaging is the best solution for a multiple email-account holder on the go. Not true: get GMail to sync all your email addresses, apply sensible labels and filters, and it will send them to your Nexus One inbox perfectly, with full HTML support as well. Alternatively, you could configure the multiple accounts on your device and have it poll them separately in the mail (non-Gmail) app. Definitely, definitely beats the clunky email handling in Nokia Messaging on the n97.

2) Steve, I think you brushed Google Listen aside too fast: I use it, and the latest update makes it quite interesting in that it uses Google Reader to manage subscriptions. You can add, delete, or listen to podcasts from your desktop browser, and have the changes reflected in your podcast manager on the phone. The automatic download options are also very sophisticated, eg "only download new episodes when in Wi-fi range and when charging".

3) Finally, you cannot understate just how well Android handles PIM, which in my opinion is the central aspect of smartphone ownership. Everything from html email across multiple accounts down to facebook pokes is seamlessly synced down to the handset without any need for third party software.

I am a life-long Nokia addict who just made a (temporary?) switch to Android with the Nexus One, and overall, it has comfortably outdone anything I previously owned (N97 and n95 8gb included). Symbian^3 will have to be quite the step up to win myself and others like me back.

Old 23-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesiki View Post
1) 'Unregistered' claims Nokia Messaging is the best solution for a multiple email-account holder on the go. Not true: get GMail to sync all your email addresses, apply sensible labels and filters, and it will send them to your Nexus One inbox perfectly, with full HTML support as well. Alternatively, you could configure the multiple accounts on your device and have it poll them separately in the mail (non-Gmail) app. Definitely, definitely beats the clunky email handling in Nokia Messaging on the n97.

2) Steve, I think you brushed Google Listen aside too fast: I use it, and the latest update makes it quite interesting in that it uses Google Reader to manage subscriptions. You can add, delete, or listen to podcasts from your desktop browser, and have the changes reflected in your podcast manager on the phone. The automatic download options are also very sophisticated, eg "only download new episodes when in Wi-fi range and when charging".

3) Finally, you cannot understate just how well Android handles PIM, which in my opinion is the central aspect of smartphone ownership. Everything from html email across multiple accounts down to facebook pokes is seamlessly synced down to the handset without any need for third party software.

I am a life-long Nokia addict who just made a (temporary?) switch to Android with the Nexus One, and overall, it has comfortably outdone anything I previously owned (N97 and n95 8gb included). Symbian^3 will have to be quite the step up to win myself and others like me back.
No matter how good your arguments are, Steve will find another way to bury his head in the sand and proclaim that you misunderstood him, Nokia, the Arms race, the Palestinian/Israeli conflict, etc... He will never acknowledge the fact that the N97 was, is, and will remain an underpowered, RAM deficient, hardware failed, factory produced disaster. I have noting wrong with liking a phone but I also acknowledge when things are wrong. I have less and less faith in anything Steve reports on. For me, he has very limited credibility and a blinding bias that further erodes practically anything of value that he might report on.

Old 23-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Unregistered

[ Full disclosure - I have a Nexus One being shipping to me as I type, and the only S60 phone I've owned was a Sendo X (Google it) ]

I think you are mistaken. Bias is saying that things are better or worse than they are just because of their origin. Steve is always very clear about what he likes and what he doesn't, but he will praise good features of non-Symbian phones whilst bemoaning the faults of his current favourite. It sounds to me as though you have had bad experiences with an N97, but that doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't share your experiences is biased.

I would say that by asking the question this article poses, Steve is acknowledging that the N97 may not be the best phone around, which is surely a healthy attitude.

Old 24-02-2010, 12:58 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho27 View Post
I'll end with an example: A (40 year old) friend of mine had an n70 for 2 Years and it was only in her last week with the phone that she discovered the menu (by pressing the S60 menu key). She had used the active standby (which she had not customised) for the whole time.

USER INTERFACE is very important and the sad thing is that it is technically such a small part of a mobile OS.
sadly also, many people do not read the accompanying manual, even if to reference something from the index or glossary.

hence, the term RTFM

Old 24-02-2010, 05:07 AM

yyzxmn is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't the Milestone be a more apt comparison with the N97?

Old 25-02-2010, 12:41 PM

fidolatry is on a distinguished road
Is there a way to use Android without the Google apps? I don't mind them harvesting my web searches, but I'm really reluctant to turn over my PIM data to a company who's already been caught building a backdoor into Gmail for U.S. Homeland Security...

Old 25-02-2010, 07:21 PM

daos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Like where exactly? Full 3G coverage is difficult and expensive for everything less than congested central Europe. Also Google maps is available for Symbian, but it does not include turn by turn navigation until sometime in the future.
Israel has not only full country 3g, but 3g+ coverage, even in desert and mountain's regions (may be it was demand from Bedouins for camel navigation ) . All 4 operators provide 5Gb for 20$ per month or unlimited internet for 33-35$.

Old 26-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Unregistered

Steve,

you talked about synchronisation of PIM data, but you didn't say anything about the quality PIM apps between the two devices.
Ads

Old 26-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

cant believe

I really cant believe you are comparing the n97 to N1..

it like comparing an asus1000h to an alienwareM11x..
oh well, this is a symbian site.

I know im little bit OT, but People loves N1 because of its specs, N1 are for tech-freak people. plus (N1) Android is just keep updating unlike (N97) symbian.. (no im not talking about some minor update but an OS update)

with its specs, expect nexus one to have at least android version 5.0.

i get your point, yes the functionality.. but android is all about great and user friendly user interface, which is very important to many. (oh, look at symbian^4 copying android's UI)