All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM

loopyludo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
I have picked up on a number of recent threads in various forums about a shift in policy by T-Mobile with regard to their data provision on W'n'W plans!
I have heard about HSDPA being disabled and the user having to request enabling.
I have heard about restrictions regarding the basic W'n'W plan (that is that it is not 3.5G enabled (????).
I have heard about users being required to pay extra to be able to use the 3.5G service.
HSDPA is not enabled on all W'n'W contracts taken out after 15th August 2007.
If you require it to be enabled you can call T-Mobile and they will enable it free of charge, with no restrictions other than those that apply to your particular W'n'W contract

Old 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
I have two T-Mobile accounts, one started in June/July with my N95 and the other started in December with an LG Viewty for my girlfriend.

I've just emailed T-Mobile now for them to advise the current HSDPA status of the most recent account so I'll report back their findings and also whether they will switch HSDPA on for me.

F

Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
HSPDA wasnt enabled on mien untilt he begginign of this month when I added WnW. Seems to work just fine.

If your connecting the N95 to a laptop the most your going to get out of it is about 460kbps because nokia use a virtual serial port and virtual modem and its stuck with the windows port limit for serial data which is a little over 460kbps.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM

Pheonix SZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugged View Post
HSPDA wasnt enabled on mien untilt he begginign of this month when I added WnW. Seems to work just fine.

If your connecting the N95 to a laptop the most your going to get out of it is about 460kbps because nokia use a virtual serial port and virtual modem and its stuck with the windows port limit for serial data which is a little over 460kbps.
Only for a Bluetooth connection.
For a cable connection, you'll be able to get the full 1.8/3.6-Mbps.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix SZ View Post
Only for a Bluetooth connection.
For a cable connection, you'll be able to get the full 1.8/3.6-Mbps.
Im connected via cable.

It seems to have gone up but this is the highest value I can select

Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Im connected via cable.

Interesting.
That's as reported by Windows.
I'd be more inclined to go by the results of an online bandwidth test like PCPitstop.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 AM

Yeah once dialled in you can set a speed of up to 900 odd but the modem still connects at 460.

The speed test i just ran reported 0.8 which is about as fast is ive seen it

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedt...186929190.html

Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 AM

fdxd is on a distinguished road
IF your phone says 3.5G are you using HSDPA?
Ads

Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Yeah once dialled in you can set a speed of up to 900 odd but the modem still connects at 460.

The speed test i just ran reported 0.8 which is about as fast is ive seen it

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedt...186929190.html
I've had 1.3-Mbps on my lappy, quite regularly in good 3G areas.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Im connected via cable.

This has nothing to do with the actual data transfer speed.
Try a speed test in the middle of the night. You will be surprised at the speed.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
I can't wait for HSOPA. Evolved HSPA should be out this year with 42Mbit/s downloads, but with HSOPA expect up to 100Mbit downloads that's gonna be awesome.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:25 PM

On a related issue to this topic is it just me or is downloading stuff via T-Mobile UK's W'n'W somewhat slower these days?

When I got my N95 back in June/July 2007 and, indeed, up to Autumn time, I could leave my office in NW England at 5pm on a Friday and whilst walking to the railway station, I could download Terry Wogan's Radio 2 podcast within a couple of minutes via W'n'W.

More recently, it's become so painfully slow that I've tried to download podcasts when connected to either our home or office WLAN.

Last night, I set my girlfriend's LG Viewty and my N95, both of which are on T-Mobile UK, to download the Russell Brand Radio 2 podcast and to compare speeds - I did this to see whether I could deduce anything about HSDPA because her T-Mobile connection began fairly recently when HSDPA might not automatically be turned on.

The Viewty downloaded the podcast within say 7-10 minutes but my N95 had only got to about 8-10% when the Viewty had finished so I cancelled it and went off in a huff! I've ridiculed her loads as to why she chose such an awful handset and this is the first time the N95 has let me down. Not only that, my signal strength was showing fairly decent and 3.5G was showing whereas there's no indicator on the Viewty to show HSDPA being active (as far as I know) and her signal strength was noticeably lower than mine.

Very bizarre.

F

Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM

T-Mobile UK have just responded to my email about HSDPA.

To recap, I have both an N95 and an LG Viewty registered to T-Mobile, the N95 account commencing in June/July 2007 and the Viewty account commencing within the last couple of months.

T-Mobile advise NEITHER account has HSDPA enabled and, in addition, if I wanted it enabled, I would have to upgrade my W'n'W package to "plus" or "max". They say it is not an option on standard W'n'W packages.

The 3.5G indicator does come on the N95 when browsing so either T-Mobile are wrong or the indicator merely confirms the presence of HSDPA not that it's being used. Given the indicator always starts off as 3G until I try and download something and only then does it switch, I'm thinking the former!

F

Old 07-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcphone View Post
T-Mobile UK have just responded to my email about HSDPA.

To recap, I have both an N95 and an LG Viewty registered to T-Mobile, the N95 account commencing in June/July 2007 and the Viewty account commencing within the last couple of months.

T-Mobile advise NEITHER account has HSDPA enabled and, in addition, if I wanted it enabled, I would have to upgrade my W'n'W package to "plus" or "max". They say it is not an option on standard W'n'W packages.

The 3.5G indicator does come on the N95 when browsing so either T-Mobile are wrong or the indicator merely confirms the presence of HSDPA not that it's being used. Given the indicator always starts off as 3G until I try and download something and only then does it switch, I'm thinking the former!

F
Hook it up as USB modem to a lappy and go to http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/BwDownTest.asp

... to check your bandwidth.

I'd hazard that the 3.5G icon only indicates that you're in a 3.5G zone rather than downloading at 3.5G speeds.
I remember when T-Mobile were accidently throttling my bandwidth at 64K.
I had the 3.5G icon up - but couldn't get past 64Kbps.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 PM

jman200x is on a distinguished road
just to throw another spanner in the works here...

it can show 3.5G / HSDPA - but has anyone thought that T-mobile might be throttling how much data you can get over your connection? I've no doubt at all they're firewalling this traffic somewhere (they block MSN on standard W+W dont they) so it doesn't take much more effort to throttle down your speed.