All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
jman200x, the term is called traffic shaping and I can probably guarantee that they are doing this.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:26 PM

hypochondriac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyludo View Post
HSDPA is not enabled on all W'n'W contracts taken out after 15th August 2007.
If you require it to be enabled you can call T-Mobile and they will enable it free of charge, with no restrictions other than those that apply to your particular W'n'W contract
Rubbish. They won't do that.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcphone View Post
T-Mobile UK have just responded to my email about HSDPA.

To recap, I have both an N95 and an LG Viewty registered to T-Mobile, the N95 account commencing in June/July 2007 and the Viewty account commencing within the last couple of months.

T-Mobile advise NEITHER account has HSDPA enabled and, in addition, if I wanted it enabled, I would have to upgrade my W'n'W package to "plus" or "max". They say it is not an option on standard W'n'W packages.

The 3.5G indicator does come on the N95 when browsing so either T-Mobile are wrong or the indicator merely confirms the presence of HSDPA not that it's being used. Given the indicator always starts off as 3G until I try and download something and only then does it switch, I'm thinking the former!

F
I sometimes get 3.5G but it will be restricted. What you have to do is email the people I advised and tell them you weren't aware of the change (if you have been in the contract before October.) Should sort it.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:11 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
I have standard Web n Walk I updgraded to plus and as soon as i saw they were using a image proxy I decided to dump them for laptop use ill rather get cheap ADSL.

Before that I only for 3G. I cancelled the pending upgrade ( as it was waiting for my billing date ) and reapplied the standard one. They cancelled BOTH and when I started seeing unbilled usage I called them and they activated standard back on my account and ever since ive been getting 3.5G icons on my N95.

Download Bandwidth Test Results
Download speed: 1484 kilobits per second
Test details: 1577 kilobytes downloaded in 8.5 seconds.
Receive buffer size: Not available

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedt...246219840.html

It rearlly does seem to vary

Old 08-02-2008, 08:34 AM

loopyludo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Rubbish. They won't do that.
Oh yes they will they should do anyway,
For provisioning they should check if you are first on a price plan which has HSDPA built in (most W'n'W plus and max plans), if yes then you already have HSDPA
If not they then should check if you are on a HSDPA compatible price plan (most Flext W'n'W, Flext and Relax W'n'W), if yes they should manaully add the HSDPA product code to your account.
If not they should advise you that you need to change price plan.
Ads

Old 08-02-2008, 11:38 AM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
In an attempt to stop any further arguments developing in this thread, I've got some hard facts to throw into this debate.

At 1120hrs GMT I undertook some internet speed tests using ThinkBroadband (formerly ADSLguide) online tool. Here are the results.

Using my PC connected via WLAN to our Nildram ADSL service (max download speed 8128 Kbps and upload speed 448 Kbps) I obtained speeds as follows:-

download 3920 4025 Kbps
upload 371 Kbps 384 Kbps

Using my PC connected via wired USB via Nokia PC Suite to my Nokia N95 and utilising T-Mobile Web 'n' Walk with High Speed Packet Access DISABLED

download 304 Kbps 284 Kbps
upload 327 Kbps 297 Kbps

Using my PC connected via wired USB via Nokia PC Suite to my Nokia N95 and utilising T-Mobile Web 'n' Walk with High Speed Packet Access ENABLED

download 939 Kbps 895 Kbps
upload 327 Kbps 322 Kbps

Summary: disabling high speed packet access within the N95 menu seemingly does affect my download speed which therefore flies in the face of T-Mobile's view that HSDPA is disabled on my account, as per a slightly earlier post of mine!

F

Old 08-02-2008, 01:59 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Well I think I was correct with my original assertion that all this is very unclear!
As a T-mobile W'n'W customer I want to know what's going on.
Retract your digit T-mobile!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 03:44 PM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
Well I think I was correct with my original assertion that all this is very unclear!
As a T-mobile W'n'W customer I want to know what's going on.
Retract your digit T-mobile!!!!!!
This sounds like a classic case of large organisation incompetence. Someone has clearly got through to a T-Mobile rep who has the communal brain on behalf of the company and then others only get through to the usual egits who know nothing and spout the "you must upgrade to plus or max" rubbish.

From my own "analysis" it's clear my June 2007 contract does have HSDPA enabled despite being told it wasn't. I can't comment on late 2007 contracts as I've not undertaken a test on our Viewty yet.

I suggest the only way you'll find out is to undertake the same speed tests yourself.

F

Old 11-02-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyludo View Post
Oh yes they will they should do anyway,
For provisioning they should check if you are first on a price plan which has HSDPA built in (most W'n'W plus and max plans), if yes then you already have HSDPA
If not they then should check if you are on a HSDPA compatible price plan (most Flext W'n'W, Flext and Relax W'n'W), if yes they should manaully add the HSDPA product code to your account.
If not they should advise you that you need to change price plan.
Not since their changes in October. A lot of people will tell you that because they are not aware of the change. Trust me I've spent 4 hours on the phone to them so I know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Not since their changes in October. A lot of people will tell you that because they are not aware of the change. Trust me I've spent 4 hours on the phone to them so I know what I'm talking about.
Ah yes, but do you know what they were talking about?
Because I don't think that they do! Or rather there is no consistency.
My real interest in all this is that my contract comes up for renewal soon and I need the whole thing clearing up before I go for the best deal that I can.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Pheonix SZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
My real interest in all this is that my contract comes up for renewal soon and I need the whole thing clearing up before I go for the best deal that I can.
You mean there's a serious alternative data provider ?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Because that is T-mobile policy. I spoke to a number of managers who confirmed this to me. The solution to the problem is to talk to customer relations. Look at one of my replies to see that.

Old 13-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Right everyone - what I'm about to post is the OFFICIAL T-Mobile line on this, regardless of what anyone else in CS or sales might have claimed. (I personally know a high level manager in their data team, responsible for implementing the WnW tarrifs as they stand at the moment.

ALL WnW tarrifs are able to receive HSDPA at upto 3.6Mb/s
Realistically, regardless of which version of WnW you're on, the maximum speed you'll currently get is 1.8Mb/s
WnW Pro and WnW Max have unlimited data transfers per month in reality, as T-Mob do not currently enforce any of the published limits (e.g. the limit on Pro is 3GB/month)
WnW standard users will have their bandwidth throttled in times of high demand / high cell contention or when exceeding the fair use limits
Windows "lies" about the maximum speed you're obtaining from a phone, either when connected by USB or bluetooth. Do NOT use this as a reference for what you're really achieving
IF you're not getting HSDPA on ANY WnW package (you can spot this by the 3.5G indicator NOT coming up), it's due to an old SIM card and T-Mob will force the SIM to enable HSDPA for no extra charge. (this policy has changed over time, so you sometimes get told the wrong info)

I think that's everything. T-Mob don't officially monitor this forum AT ALL, but they do read the forums at What Mobile magazine (http://www.whatmobile.net/forumvb)

Old 13-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Good stuff.

It might also be of note this applications such as Opera, dont show a 3.5G icon, on a 3G icon, though your 3.5G standard notification icon can be seen when you go to the text entry screen thats not in the browser. There are others that display similiarly.

Windows speed tests are notoriously flaky, so youneed to take them with a pinch of salt

Old 14-02-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix SZ View Post
You mean there's a serious alternative data provider ?
No there isn't, but, I need the ammo to nail them as low as possible (wrings hands like Ebeneezer Scrouge!).