All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 22-07-2009, 07:43 PM
ManInBlack ManInBlack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 35
ManInBlack is on a distinguished road
Waiting for version 11 on UK Nokia N86

Hi. Just been checking on Navifirm to see if version 11 has been released yet for UK CV (it hasn't!) but I see there is another version called UK and Ireland! That HAS got v.11 and has had it for a couple of weeks! Has anyone got any idea what on earth the difference between the 2 versions is and why would Nokia go to all the trouble of producing two different UK versions?

  #2  
Old 22-07-2009, 07:51 PM
JohnnyN JohnnyN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 101
JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
How odd. Did you buy your handset from Nokia's online store? I did, and mine still cannot see any new update.

I see other people have got round this by changing to the Euro code, but I don't really want to do that.

  #3  
Old 22-07-2009, 08:31 PM
ManInBlack ManInBlack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 35
ManInBlack is on a distinguished road
Bought in the Nokia retail store in Manchester.... seems fine, but I'm curious what the new firmware will do.

  #4  
Old 23-07-2009, 12:54 PM
timsalmon's Avatar
timsalmon timsalmon is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chichester
Posts: 363
timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
Bought in the Nokia retail store in Manchester.... seems fine, but I'm curious what the new firmware will do.
It's all stability stuff - very much needed too. Apart from inclusion of Ovi Store without downloading it. This is not a major upgrade.

There's a list at http://brar.wordpress.com/2009/07/08...043-available/ as mentioned by BRAR in his post.

Tim

  #5  
Old 23-07-2009, 04:37 PM
JohnnyN JohnnyN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 101
JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
I just find it strange that my phone won't locate the update. Surely there's not that much differenc between the Euro and Uk phones? It's been a couple of weeks now since v11 was launched.

  #6  
Old 23-07-2009, 04:43 PM
timsalmon's Avatar
timsalmon timsalmon is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chichester
Posts: 363
timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyN View Post
I just find it strange that my phone won't locate the update. Surely there's not that much differenc between the Euro and Uk phones? It's been a couple of weeks now since v11 was launched.
Yes - it does seem strange. I gave in and changed the code (after much experimenting as nobody would tell me which code worked!!) and now have v11. The code was 0580413: EURO 2 Indigo from that list. Seems to be OK but time will tell to see if it still crashes/locks up. We early-adopters are very impatient! It seems that the way Nokia works is that we're their happily paying testers! And time and again on AAS it's mooted that after 6 months, it'll be a stable product - and it's usually right. The N96 certainly seems to be now.

Tim

  #7  
Old 23-07-2009, 04:44 PM
ManInBlack ManInBlack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 35
ManInBlack is on a distinguished road
That's what I was thinking and there is a version available for UK and Ireland but not the UK Country Variant! Does anyone know the difference between the two, other than the product code?

  #8  
Old 23-07-2009, 05:29 PM
JohnnyN JohnnyN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 101
JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
Thanks Tim, I'll make a note of that code. This is my first "early adopted" phone, and I'm a little unimpressed so far with the service Nokia is providing. It's certainly putting me off from buying a phone on release ever again.

One more thing, I really am hoping that one buyers experience on another forum isn't repeated. His camera cover has created a scratch on the handset (unlike the N97 though, it's not over the lens) and he is now advising people to wait a few months for Nokia to sort out any faults. It's another case of blaming the Chinese factories, and he wants a handset from Finland!
I have noted that my N95 with good build quality does come from a Finnish source.
Ads

  #9  
Old 23-07-2009, 05:39 PM
timsalmon's Avatar
timsalmon timsalmon is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chichester
Posts: 363
timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyN View Post
Thanks Tim, I'll make a note of that code. This is my first "early adopted" phone, and I'm a little unimpressed so far with the service Nokia is providing. It's certainly putting me off from buying a phone on release ever again.

One more thing, I really am hoping that one buyers experience on another forum isn't repeated. His camera cover has created a scratch on the handset (unlike the N97 though, it's not over the lens) and he is now advising people to wait a few months for Nokia to sort out any faults. It's another case of blaming the Chinese factories, and he wants a handset from Finland!
I have noted that my N95 with good build quality does come from a Finnish source.
That's how Nokia work and if you buy a phone on release (particularly - and especially - a S60 phone) you have to expect this - but it doesn't make us less patient all the same ;-) It's like a geek's playground really and if you don't want the ups and downs either wait or buy something else that's been out a while.

Shame about the scratch, but I will say one thing that when Nokia ID a problem, such as that, they'll put it right (in my experience) quickly and it's all freepost (at least in the UK) when it's time to sort it out. I think Nokia get a lot of bad press often, but I like the company and products and the pastime/enjoyment they've given me over the years.

Tim

  #10  
Old 23-07-2009, 08:44 PM
JohnnyN JohnnyN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 101
JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
Well. I couldnt resist. I used the Euro code and updated. The firmware is definitely better, and fingers crossed, the startup freeze will be gone! Seems a little faster as well, but that might be just me. Not tried the camera yet.

  #11  
Old 23-07-2009, 10:22 PM
timsalmon's Avatar
timsalmon timsalmon is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chichester
Posts: 363
timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyN View Post
Well. I couldnt resist. I used the Euro code and updated. The firmware is definitely better, and fingers crossed, the startup freeze will be gone! Seems a little faster as well, but that might be just me. Not tried the camera yet.
...nice one! Now - they say in all the forums you might like to visit, that if you do this Product Code changing tomfoolery, your Nokia guarantee will be invalidated but I have to say that the only time I tested this with an E90 which had an unrelated problem, the service centre didn't question it, repaired and returned as if I hadn't done it. Now, of course I'm not guaranteeing that but can only report my experience.

On this afternoon/evening's initial response, I think that the N86 is more stable - but time will tell.

Tim
 

Bookmarks

Tags
n86, nokia, version, waiting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[HOT][NEW] N80 RM-92 IE APAC PR v15.00 SW4.0632.0.38 juato4 Nokia N80 176 25-04-2007 03:19 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy