All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

221k????

I just did a quick check and the midlet is indeed 221k, but it downloads a few hundred k after that

Old 16-09-2009, 02:07 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile JAVA App Settings

You can change the settings . Open Application Manager > Opera Mini (...) > Options > Open > Settings .

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 16-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Lutin

@jApi NL

Was that directed at me?

Here is what I do:
- Application Manager -> Installed apps. -> [Select] Opera Mini -> [Bottom left button] Options -> Suite Settings

In here I have "Network access", but the only options for network access are: "Not allowed", "Ask Every Time", and "Ask First Time Only". This last option is what I have chosen, but with this Opera asks when you open it and then doesn't ask again for the session. I want it to never ask me.

There is no option "Always Allowed".

Old 16-09-2009, 02:40 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Allways Allowed

@Lutin , yes . I guess you'll have to work with the options given . My phone has got the setting allways allowed though .
Not much pain "once" is it ?

Regards jApi NL

Old 16-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
@Lutin , yes . I guess you'll have to work with the options given . My phone has got the setting allways allowed though .
Not much pain "once" is it ?

Regards jApi NL
Not much pain, no, but it does take away from the slickness if I have to do this every time I open Opera.

I was wondering if maybe having a previous version of Opera mini installed would affect this? I have not had any version of opera mini installed. I wonder if previous (non-beta) versions came with certificates which are re-used.

Old 16-09-2009, 06:12 PM

psiegumfeldt is on a distinguished road
Anyone else having the problem that it only loads one page and then it wont load any more pages before you restart the program? This happens on my 5800.

Old 16-09-2009, 08:29 PM

vehicular is on a distinguished road
I have installed, tried and uninstalled immediately. It turned to portrait mode when I hold the device in landscape mode and vice versa. Sometimes it filled only half of the screen. Something is buggy with it on my xm 5800.

Old 16-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Lutin

@vehicular. There is a setting to change that. Go into Settings and turn landscape on.

Old 16-09-2009, 09:32 PM

grendal is on a distinguished road
I can't get this to install on my N97. Halts with a Java.io.Exception error.
Any ideas anyone? I've upgraded my Java version and that had no effect either

EDIT: Uninstalled 4.2 and it has installed fine now

Last edited by grendal; 16-09-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Now works

Old 16-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Johan Schön

@Unregistered: We don't download that much during the installation phase All executing code is contained in the jar file. To be able to have one jar file that works on every device we have made it so that it downloads one of three different skins for different resolutions, hand-tuned to to the pixel. The skin is 70-100k or so.

Otherwise: glad to hear all of the nice feedback . If you need help solving some issue, I recommend visiting the forums at http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=111

Johan Schön, Opera Software

Old 17-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Lutin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Schön View Post
@Unregistered: We don't download that much during the installation phase All executing code is contained in the jar file. To be able to have one jar file that works on every device we have made it so that it downloads one of three different skins for different resolutions, hand-tuned to to the pixel. The skin is 70-100k or so.

Otherwise: glad to hear all of the nice feedback . If you need help solving some issue, I recommend visiting the forums at http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=111

Johan Schön, Opera Software
John, that's a great solution to a tricky problem.

Was using Opera all yesterday evening, and my god it's fantastic.

I did file one big report this morning though (Opera freezes when you click on a phone number on a web page).

Old 17-09-2009, 08:03 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Great onscreen keyboard.. puts the standard Symbian ones to shame actually.

Absolute killer App.. if only they can get the Flash functionality to work, then will replace Nokia's browser for me!!

Old 17-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Unregistered

Cool Sandy Kummar@Unregistered

I am very impressed with the new version of Opera mini 5. The new sleek look and feel of the browser is quite refreshing !!! I just love the new speed dial and tabs function. I use a Nokia N95 8gb and find the portrait mode to be much better for surfing the web than the landscape one.Even though the browser is still in beta stage, I still find it much better and easier to use than the native code S60 browser.Absolutely a killer application..... Amazing !!!

Old 17-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

Cool Sandy Kummar

I am very impressed with the new version of Opera mini 5. The new sleek look and feel of the browser is quite refreshing !!! I just love the new speed dial and tabs function. I use a Nokia N95 8gb and find the portrait mode to be much better for surfing the web than the landscape one.Even though the browser is still in beta stage, I still find it much better and easier to use than the native code S60 browser.Absolutely a killer application..... Amazing !!!

Old 17-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Seft is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
By the way, is there any way to allow this application to connect to the internet without asking me?

I get the whole "Allow For This Session" popup? Anyway to stop it asking this question every time I start Opera?
You need to get a signed copy of Opera Mini.