All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 30-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Unregistered

Smartphones

@clonmult, I don't know what definition of smartphone you are using, but in my book, if there is an discrete API encouraging/allowing 3rd party app development, it's a smartphone.

Old 30-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Unregistered

Sue me - Sue you... In the end consumers lose...

Imagine if...

1. None of these companies (hardware, software, middleware) could hold patents for more than say 2-3 years, then it was open slather (this would allow the patent filer to make initial profits on it's ideas).
2. If companies spent their millions and billions in litigation fees and patent claim payouts on improving their generally buggier and buggier firmware, software and exploding hardware.
3. If we could somehow bring about an "Open Hardware" philosophy similar to Open Source software.

Think of the wonderful, useful, stable and cheap technologies we would all be using today...

Next mission - World Peace and ending all poverty...

Old 30-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Unregistered

Nokia is basically saying: "We own 100% of the iPhone! Now pay us." I think that is ridiculous. Nokia is really desperate but very serious this time.

Old 30-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nokia is basically saying: "We own 100% of the iPhone! Now pay us." I think that is ridiculous. Nokia is really desperate but very serious this time.
Where are Nokia saying that they own 100% of the iPhone?

Old 30-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
More to the point, what was the innovation in the original iPhone? Okay, it was one of the first consumer devices to popularise multi-touch, but that was technology that had been around for what, 10+ years prior?

There hasn't been any truly significant innovations in mobiles over the past 5 years. Higher pixel counts, better quality video recording, more memory, faster processors, and LOWER BATTERY LIFE.

The last phones I had that could last more than 2 days were the W810 and W550 - both could do 4-5 days. N73 could last 3 days max, N95 2 days and the N85 typically a day and a half, 2 days absolute maximum. Nothings got close to the BB 7230 - that would last 7 days of continual usage.
In my post I said "come to the market", in that I mean Apple didn't innovate but they brought the innovation to market. The style of touch user interface that iPhone uses hadn't really existed before, the innovation brought by the iPhone was to make many smartphone functions usable so that even an idiot could operate them.

Old 30-12-2009, 04:51 PM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
More to the point, what was the innovation in the original iPhone? Okay, it was one of the first consumer devices to popularise multi-touch, but that was technology that had been around for what, 10+ years prior?
Apart from the UI, Apple has created a working App Store, reaching the mass market. Nobody in the mobile world has managed that before Apple.

Reaching the mass market was one of the promises that mobile companies used to wow mobile developers with, so for Apple to finally create that market, after everybody else failed and had given up, is the single most important thing that Apple did for the mobile software market.

Their tools being nice and their programming language being even nicer would have been completely pointless if nobody was buying software from Apple's App Store.

Old 30-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdwal View Post
Apart from the UI, Apple has created a working App Store, reaching the mass market. Nobody in the mobile world has managed that before Apple.

Reaching the mass market was one of the promises that mobile companies used to wow mobile developers with, so for Apple to finally create that market, after everybody else failed and had given up, is the single most important thing that Apple did for the mobile software market.

Their tools being nice and their programming language being even nicer would have been completely pointless if nobody was buying software from Apple's App Store.
Again, not an innovation as such, just a better implementation. Certainly other working ones existed, such as some of the SatNav makers.

After several hours, nobody can suggest any innovations that stand up. Suffice as to say that nobody is innovating, so no mileage in pointing the finger at Nokia on that score.

Now, Comes With Music.... innovation or not? Whether or not it is a success is not relevant.

Old 31-12-2009, 09:38 AM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Again, not an innovation as such, just a better implementation. Certainly other working ones existed, such as some of the SatNav makers.
So? Sites like Handango have been around for ages (10 years). PC software was selling on the web before that.

The App Store concept isn't new, but in business, proper execution is much more important than the original idea. A business makes money by choosing the right implementation of a few innovative ideas out of the huge number of unprofitable innovative ideas.

Old 31-12-2009, 10:37 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
@clonmult, I don't know what definition of smartphone you are using, but in my book, if there is an discrete API encouraging/allowing 3rd party app development, it's a smartphone.
So on that count anything that can run Java apps counts as a smartphone then. My old SE K800 - smartphone. K750 - thats also a smartphone?

Smartphone implies a more desktop like experience to me - full multi tasking, any application in theory can run in the background.

Old 31-12-2009, 10:47 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So? Sites like Handango have been around for ages (10 years). PC software was selling on the web before that.

The App Store concept isn't new, but in business, proper execution is much more important than the original idea. A business makes money by choosing the right implementation of a few innovative ideas out of the huge number of unprofitable innovative ideas.
Its the proper execution that Nokia has sorely lacked.

Remember Download? I first remember trying it on the N73 and thinking "nice idea, looks pants". Everything in there was a mess. Apps listed as "free", but they were just trials. Ridiculously restrictive range of applications.

If Nokia hadn't been keeping their collective heads so far up their collective posteriors, they could have leveraged Download! and developed it into something like the App store, but they didn't.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Correct. So by your explanation, and by any other definition something that has been around for years, but has simply been done better by someone else is not an innovation. Which was my
point. The App store is not, by any stretch of the imagination, an innovation.
Ads

Old 01-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Its the proper execution that Nokia has sorely lacked.

Apps listed as "free", but they were just trials.
I believe this is still rampant on with Ovi Store.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I believe this is still rampant on with Ovi Store.
They are putting "free trial" or "trial" on the icons now.