All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 18-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Escarpod to be integrated into Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 ?

Escarpod, the third party Open Source podcast gatherer and player, originally written for UIQ and available for S60 in beta form for a while, is now the source of a Contribution Proposal to the main Symbian Foundation code base. Effectively, this means that future Symbian devices will have a podcast client even if Nokia choose not to install their own proprietary Podcasting application. Read on for links and more information.

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-01-2010, 11:41 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
Good news, I am using this at the moment on my i8910 because the built in Podcasting app has never worked. It never updates after the first time they are added. SAMSUNG PLEASE FIX THIS!!

I miss Podcasting and music player integration supplied in Nokia's but I wouldn't trade my i8910 for anything else currently.

Back to escarpod, the best way to describe it is functional and basic but it works well and a definite download for Satio and i8910 owners.

Old 18-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Sockatume

The current version of Nokia's podcasting app has a serious bug in which it does not "hang up" the wi-fi connection after use, meaning that if it automatically syncs in the morning, you have to make sure you manually disconnect or it'll eat your battery. It renders it rather useless. A previous version is available on their site but it only works on S60 FP1 or earlier due to certificate errors.

So essentially, good riddance. Nokia podcasting was once good, but it's poorly supported and rather difficult to use. It needs to be replaced.

Old 18-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

I'm getting sick of Nokia Podcasting on my N97 (v20) and another serious bug. It corrupts downloaded files, often reporting 110% downloaded, and more! For MP3 podcasts this often results in annoying glitches and frequent repeated repeated playback. For video podcast you end up with an unplayable file. (Downloading the same file using the built-in web browser and the same WiFi connection is fine, even if the download does sometimes get paused.) I reported the problem to Nokia but I don't hold much hope of them ever fixing the problem. What I don't understand is why no one else seems to be shouting about this issue.

Old 18-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Unregistered

Podcasting

EXCELLENT Steve can you keep us up to date then I can buy an E72. I cannot understand why Nokia should have dropped this it is my most used application - all the time when I am travelling on business.
Ads

Old 18-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Brendan Donegan

@Unregistered (last one) You're misunderstanding. Escarpod is already available for S60, so you can go ahead and buy your E72 and download it for that. The point here is that it will become part of the platform and will be one of the built in apps.

Old 18-01-2010, 02:28 PM

dougalzene is on a distinguished road
Per subscription settings are essential for me.

iTunes eventually added support for this and I find that's the way I do podcasts for the time being, along with music using iTunes Sync. For one subscription, I download all new and keep all, for another I only want to download and keep the latest. Others I want to manually select which episodes to download.

I'd much rather manage podcasts on the device though.

Old 18-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockatume View Post
The current version of Nokia's podcasting app has a serious bug in which it does not "hang up" the wi-fi connection after use, meaning that if it automatically syncs in the morning, you have to make sure you manually disconnect or it'll eat your battery. It renders it rather useless. A previous version is available on their site but it only works on S60 FP1 or earlier due to certificate errors.

So essentially, good riddance. Nokia podcasting was once good, but it's poorly supported and rather difficult to use. It needs to be replaced.
I agree it's a bug and should disconnect, but I keep my Wi-Fi connection on permanently anyway - I use it for push email. No battery problems are caused by this for me.

Old 18-01-2010, 05:24 PM

illusionado is on a distinguished road
Nokia knows that the default podcasting app for the previous phones and new phones are replaceable by selected podcasts apps available on the net =)

Old 18-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionado View Post
Nokia knows that the default podcasting app for the previous phones and new phones are replaceable by selected podcasts apps available on the net =)

Nokia knows that most of the default apps for the previous phones and new phones are replaceable by selected apps available on the net

Old 18-01-2010, 09:58 PM

vehicular is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm getting sick of Nokia Podcasting on my N97 (v20) and another serious bug. It corrupts downloaded files, often reporting 110% downloaded, and more! For MP3 podcasts this often results in annoying glitches and frequent repeated repeated playback. For video podcast you end up with an unplayable file. (Downloading the same file using the built-in web browser and the same WiFi connection is fine, even if the download does sometimes get paused.) I reported the problem to Nokia but I don't hold much hope of them ever fixing the problem. What I don't understand is why no one else seems to be shouting about this issue.
The are many complaints on MyNokia website about the problems with Nokia's built in podcasting application on s60v5 devices. However, Nokia just does not react to them. I have called the local Nokia service and was told that no complain has been reported to them and they were unable to find any complains about it in Nokia's global bug registry.

Old 19-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Unregistered

Anything to do with music is a mess on the N97 Nokia better get things sorted.