All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-11-2009, 02:29 PM

wacko is on a distinguished road
BBC Mobile live - N97 Grey Screen

Hi

I've recently downloaded the new BBC iplayer for my N97, everything works fine on the iplayer content (TV shows and radio) the problem appears to only be with the live channels, Realplayer loads up but all I get is sound and a grey screen. This happens using the application and the web based links, can someone please help me as its doing my head in!

Thanks

Wacko

Old 10-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Berty is on a distinguished road
Having the same issue myself. never been able to figure it out.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 PM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
who's you service provider? (assuming you are in the Uk)
Ads

Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 PM

wacko is on a distinguished road
I'm with 3 but it doesn't seem to matter as have the same problem when i connect at home on my wireless network. I always get the grey screen and sound. looks like it might be something i'm gonna have to live with.

Cheers

Old 16-10-2010, 11:59 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Mine does the same thing. Has anyone reported this to the BBC yet? They have a feedback form that you can use. Point your Nokia Web browser at this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/contact

Maybe if enough people report the problem, the Beeb might do something about it.

[EDIT] I've just reported it to them now. I suggest you all do the same.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Last edited by zxon; 17-10-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Old 17-10-2010, 06:30 PM

matthewrleech is on a distinguished road
Reported

Old 19-10-2010, 04:28 PM

I've had a response from the BBC. This is what I sent them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon
Whenever I try to watch a live stream on the iPlayer through my Nokia N97, I get sound but the screen is grey. This happens with every channel except BBC News 24.
...and this was their response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by some idiot at the BBC
Thanks for your feedback.

The N97 Mini is not supported for BBC iPlayer on mobile. Some models may appear to our systems to be a standard N97, so you may be able to access BBC iPlayer and even to play some programmes. However, we can't offer support advice.

If you have a desktop computer, you can download programmes using the desktop version of BBC iPlayer then transfer them to your N97Mini to watch at your convenience. For more information about how to do this, go to http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/ on a PC/Mac and look for information about 'sideloading'.

If you have any further queries about using BBC iPlayer, please use our help pages. These can be found at www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/help (if using your mobile) or http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk (if using a desktop computer).
Now, in hindsight, I maybe should've been more specific in my message to them, but their response is ridiculous! Since when did I say I had an N97 mini?

Anyone else get a reply yet?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 20-10-2010, 04:54 PM

I have not received a reply but my submission was detailed, right down to the streaming formats being used on the channels that don't work and the one that does.

Old 21-10-2010, 01:17 PM

Response from the BBC:

Quote:
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:27 AM
Subject: RE: BBC iPlayer for Mobile: Feedback

Hi Matt

Thanks for your email. Could you let me know exactly what is happening, and is this affecting catch-up programmes or programmes on live?

You may find that checking through the following will help with any issues:

* Empty the cache/history in your phone's browser
* Check that cookies are enabled
* Check that javascript is turned on
* Check that plugins are on (if you have them)
* Check that your phone has the latest firmware version (iPlayer may not work on older versions)
* If you have BBC iPlayer bookmarked, please delete that bookmark and re-enter www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer into your browser
* Try accessing iPlayer on a different wi-fi network
* Try accessing iPlayer using your phone's default internet browser (if you were using a different one)

If you have any further problems using BBC iPlayer, please see the troubleshooting tips at www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/help (if using your mobile) or http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/ (if using a desktop computer).

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes,

BBC Mobile
www.bbc.co.uk/mobile

PS If you reply to this message, please do not delete our response or your original message. BBC Mobile does not keep copies of sent or received messages for data protection reasons.
My reply:

Quote:
Hi,

Cache and history cleared.
Cookies and javascript enabled.
Plugins not applicable.
Phone firmware is up to date.
Loaded page www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
Have tried two wifi connections and 3g (on Three Mobile).
Used phone's default browser.

Live streaming of bbc1, 2, 3, 4, cbbc, cbeebies and parliament to not work. They all use H264, 176x96, @102kbps. However, live streaming of bbc news works ok (MP4V-ES, 176x96, 150kbps).

Downloaded ODF catch-up programmes work ok and streaming catch-up programmes (H264, 320x176, @176kbps) are also ok.

Thanks,
Matt.

Old 22-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Wow matthewrleech, very technical!

I've replied, had a reply, and replied again. Continuing from where I left off...

Quote:
Thank you for your response.

The phone that I am using is, indeed, a standard N97, which should be fully supported by the mobile iPlayer website.

The problem I have is, specifically, with trying to watch any of the live channels. I get sound but the screen is grey, like the video isn't supported. The only live channel that works is BBC News 24. I can stream and/or download individual programmes.

Regards,

Andy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the BBC
Thanks for getting back to you and I'm sorry for our initial confusion over your handset.

We're aware that some Nokia handsets sometimes have difficulty playing the live streams. Generally, you should be able to fix this by running through the following checklist:
* Empty the cache/history in your phone's browser;
* Check that cookies are enabled;
* Check that javascript is turned on;
* Check that plugins are on (if you have them);
* Check that your phone has the latest firmware version;
* If you use bookmarks to access BBC iPlayer or any of the channel streams, please delete the bookmarks, type www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer into your browser and navigate to the appropriate page again;
* If you use the iPlayer app, please delete any copies of the app and then re-install it from www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer;
* Try accessing the live streams on a different wi-fi network;
* Try accessing the streams using your phone's default internet browser (if you were previously using a different one).

The BBC News channel uses a different format to the other channels because it is a completely live channel. This is why the problem isn't affecting this channel.

I hope that this helps.
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

I have gone through your checklist:

* Have cleared the cache from my web browser (Web -> Options -> Clear privacy data -> All)
* Ensured cookies are enabled (Web -> Options -> Settings -> Privacy -> Cookies -> Allow)
* Ensured javascript is enabled (Web -> Options -> Settings -> General -> Java/ECMA script -> Enabled)
* Checked for plugins (There are none for the web browser)
* Checked my phone's firmware (Currently on v22.0.110 - the latest version)
* Uninstalled and reinstalled the iPlayer app on my phone (Using the URL you provided)
* Tried accessing live streams with both my home and office wi-fi networks

Sadly the problem still persists. All live channels, except BBC News 24, show a grey screen.

Surely all the channels are "completely live". Can't they all use the same format? What else can I do?

Regards,

Andy.
[EDIT] Now this is strange... I've checked again and BBC 1 worked for me (Qi is on at present)... however it was jumping very heavily and eventually timed out.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk