All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 AM

Dazz is on a distinguished road
Chances are it is the site, alot of the applications work on Nokia as it is their OS but the i8910 is another question all togeather i have found it hard to find new applications for it.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM

rleader is on a distinguished road
Sorry - this is straying off topic - but on the signing aspects:
I just tried reinstalling DrJukka's great new app
http://www.drjukka.com/KeyLockClock.html

& it works now! (?) albeit a day later...

All I did was to leave the Symbian Online signed .sis on my i8910 overnight, from yesterday afternoon - at that time it didn't work, it kept reporting a certifcate error - I tried guessing it was a time-related one, but changing my date/time on the i8910 didn't work yeaterday... anyhow, just now it installed fine (with the correct time/date showing)!
I just tried it out again for fun, before I wrote to DrJukka.
I have no idea why it worked today, and not yesterday - is it possible there is a time-delay in the certificate process - in this case waiting for a future time (?), to allow me to install a self-signed Symbian Online BETA .sis?

There are a lot of things with the i8910 I just find so weird!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:17 PM

DJDow is on a distinguished road
battery life

i had the problem with my battery running out after 9-10 hours with next to no use. got a complete handset and battery replacement the next day after contacting orange.

the replacement is much better, lasting 2 days with heavy use. internet, calling, texting, watching movies and using the video camera with the flash on. i'm actually amazed how long it lasts now!!

if your i8910 HD doesn't last very long get the whole lot replaced, not just the battery, cos something has a major fault.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 AM

DJDow - hi, thanks. Good to hear you took the replacement handset route & so far ok. NB my battery drain issue happens only about once a week, and usually overnight, so I don't experience it all the time, far from it. I'd be interested to know how long you have had the replacement handset for and (hopefully not) you ever get this quick battery drain problem e.g. when you don't use the handset at all. What firmware do you have?
For the vast majority of the time I too, get the 2-2.5 day battery with moderate use. Heavy usage and it is still a charge up every night (& now I always ensure I have my handset off overnight). But, as I said, once a week I wake up to a dead battery. (I agree, I think it is time for me to go down the replacement route, but that also means a lot of time, sanitising the handset and then reinstalling it all over again - this for me takes time).

Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 AM

Lightman is on a distinguished road
The problem only comes out after the phone was connected to PC with PC studio, if You switch off and on (reboot) the phone after that, the problem is no more... a software bug probably...

Old 13-07-2009, 09:18 AM

e-rik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
The problem only comes out after the phone was connected to PC with PC studio, if You switch off and on (reboot) the phone after that, the problem is no more... a software bug probably...
Thanx Lightman, at least this solves the crazy short stand by time. Last weekend i did two full cycles: full discharge - full charge with the phone off, using the AC adapter. Now I have the phone on stand by since 18 hours and the battery indicater still shows full 7 digits. Before, if I charged it on the USB it would be down to two digits after just a night on stand by.

I still don't have the fw update installed - it hasn't been released for my region yet (Netherlands). Let's hope the new fw solves the usb charging bug.

e-

Old 13-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I only got mine on Friday and because of the usual playing around with a new toy syndrome I cannot judge what my battery life will be like day-to-day just yet.

However, be warned: Li-Ion batteries do not like constant full-discharge/re-charges - it shortens their life-span as does high-temp. If you don't believe me have a search around the net, but here's a good guide: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Old 17-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Good news...! - + feedback

Hi - I've debranded and been on xxIG2 Italian update firmware for just under a week & so far, no 'sudden' battery drain phenomenon. So, I am hoping that xxIG2 has a fix in it for this issue I have before on xxIE2. This battery drain issue, as I have had said, mainfests itself in that you have 2-2.5 day battery with moderate usage, but, once or twice a week (usually overnight, but sometimes in the day), the battery just drains right down in about 6-8h without any apps open. I agree, on the xxIE2 this seemed to be heavily related to whether or not you have been using the USB cable & PC studio. Always a fresh reboot fixed the problem.
I've been using xxIG2 with the USB cable everyday and no weird battery drain probs - handset has always been on & I haven't rebooted it for 4 days now.
[however, on xxIG2 my DLNA app appears totally broken still, no biggie tho']

Old 19-07-2009, 01:16 PM

e-rik is on a distinguished road
The 'Dutch' update (see this thread) seems to have solved the battery drain issue. I can now load the phone through usb and without a reset (off/on) the battery maintains power several days (on moderate usage). Before the update it would be drained after just one night. Also on heavy usage - much hd video recording, video and audio playback - battery life seems improved.

I presume Samsung will deploy updates that solve overall performance and the audio fix for the hd video in all regions over the next couple of weeks. In regions where the phone hasn't been released yet, it'll most probably be released with the latest fw including these updates.

e-
Ads

Old 24-07-2009, 09:58 AM

feedback from xxIG2 firmware

I can still say that during the last 2 weeks, since debranding to xxIG2 from Orange UK xxIE2, I have had no 'sudden overnight battery' drain experiences, or any problems with the battery at all (always getting 1-2 days with moderate usage) - I'm using the USB cable frequently, too, so I believe xxIG2 has fixed this problem for me. PS I've never bothered even trying the Backup program or attempting iSync - I just don't trust the i8910 to do such critical jobs correctly. I'm still using completely different systems/methods for this for the time being.

Old 24-07-2009, 10:24 PM

moggsy is on a distinguished road
I've gone to IG2 and for 'normal' use, ie; texting, calls, music playing etc, the battery life is fantastic.

However, if I use the web, it rips the back out of the battery's life...you can almost see the indicator drop every 10mins.....(don't even mention the effect SatNav has on it....10mins drops the life by half!)

There's got to be a 'fix' for these two issues...similar to the Video/packet data ones....

Does anyone else get this with Web/SatNav usage....?

If these two were fixed, it would be the ultimate phone for me.....

Old 25-07-2009, 10:39 AM

no problems for me....

moggsy - I've not had these problems you speak of - my WiFi / GPS use on xxIG2 gives a pretty standard type of battery drain. In fact, yesterday afternoon and evening I was using WiFi quite a bit and dropped about 3 bars, for about 3h use... GPS is slightly more heavy on the battery. I'm generally finding that one bar of the battery is about 45min-1h use for wahtever I am doing, incl GPS.
Sorry I can't be of more help. NB on my xxIG2 reflashings (done several times now to test things out), for me my Connected Home app (DLNA) remains broken. I am starting to feel sure there are some hardware variations between handsets, as well as just firmware...