All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > Symbian^3 phones (N8, C7, C6-01, E7-00)

Old 24-11-2010, 05:58 AM

djfoxi is on a distinguished road
I hate Internet on the small display of a mobilphone. For this reason i use my N8 only in GSM mode as camera navi and phone (phone to talk, not to play :-) )

My N8 runs with this condition (screensaver off, dark theme) over 14 days.
(20 pictures, 5 SMS, 10 min. Talktime)

My old N86 runs with this condition 9days.

-->Excellent power management @ N8.

Old 24-11-2010, 08:38 AM

SnaxMuppet is on a distinguished road
Into day 4 now for my N8 since charging... battery monitor reads 51%

Old 24-11-2010, 09:29 AM

njefferies is on a distinguished road
I'm finding that, with use, the battery seems to be bedding in rather well. After a couple of weeks, I am now still on 100% after a days use - in power saving (so forced to 2G) and using Wifi for connectivity. 2 mail accounts on hourly updates (and calendar sync for Exchange), widgets online (BBC feed, Social), probably about an hour browsing, gaming, MP3 playing.

Either that, or the calibrations gone crazy

Old 25-11-2010, 12:37 AM

Charles314 is on a distinguished road
I get about 3 days (72 hours) on average, although I haven't completely run it down before. On an average day my N8 gets the following usage:
- 5 minutes phone calls at most
- 25 TXT messages
- 15 minutes web browsing
- 1 hour Angry Birds :p
- 30 minutes playing with other various apps

I have 3G and WLAN disabled at all times - so the phone only connects to one of these when an app requires internet access. I did this initially to minimise data consumption on either 3G (100MB/month) or my home ADSL (5GB/month) connections, but I guess it helps with power usage as well.

Someone mentioned that switching between 3G and 2G drains the power. Since I live in a city, I set my network connection to always use 3G. I believe this helps too, as long as you don't live in an area with marginal reception (I imagine at least 90% of people will have 3G where they live or work though).

Old 25-11-2010, 01:03 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
basically it's down to 3G

if you're in a place where 3G signal is low, the phone will push more juice to pick up more bars, failing that, it will fall back to 2g. that's where the majority of power goes...3G (not to mention the other culprits, e.g. Gravity, WhatsApp)

Old 25-11-2010, 10:19 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by njefferies View Post
I'm finding that, with use, the battery seems to be bedding in rather well. After a couple of weeks, I am now still on 100% after a days use - in power saving (so forced to 2G) and using Wifi for connectivity. 2 mail accounts on hourly updates (and calendar sync for Exchange), widgets online (BBC feed, Social), probably about an hour browsing, gaming, MP3 playing.

Either that, or the calibrations gone crazy
I think the calibration, at least of the default power gauge is completely crazy. I've got the beta labs power monitor running, and that never agrees with the power meter at the top.

But rather hilariously the beta labs power meter occasionally shows power levels going up (ie. from 10% to 11%), which shows they've either got something wrong, or the battery is magically charging itself from me ....

Old 25-11-2010, 03:40 PM

jerm is on a distinguished road
the battery meter reads voltage from the battery during usage, etc that's why it 'estimates' the time left. once left idle it 'recalibrates'

Old 26-11-2010, 10:25 AM

samson432 is on a distinguished road
Wink Condition the battery when it is new to mark a higher holding capacity

All new type of Li-Poly battery needs top-up charging. What it means is its circuitry needs to be taught to hold a higher capacity. However , if it is taught wrongly to hold a lower and then lower capacity it can lead to a situation where this re-calibrated mark is just not enough to power high power circuit required by a full screen smart phone.

So I've repeated this following tip many times but since the N8 is so new, it is really very relevant.
1) Go through 1-2 full charge-then-discharge cycle of the new smartphone hence new battery. This will sort of reset the calibration.
2) Then for the next 3-4 days, have a charger handy to charge whenever the battery is used up 10-20%. This is termed top-up charging ie. charging at the top segment of the battery capacity. And the battery will actually grow. Actually what happens is the battery circuitry is remembering a higher holding capacity. You will find that your battery capacity will increase almost upto 30%.

I urge all new N8 owners to do this top-up charging before draining down the battery and taught the battery a lower holding capacity. So before you condition the battery, activities like dual band(2G auto switch to 3G), GPS, online video which require much more power such that your battery capacity can quickly drop to the lowest battery segment without one knowing is best moderated.

I have thoroughly work the N8 like a horse after that. I can testify that although its battery is the same as N97 mini, its power performance is almost twice as good.

Old 26-11-2010, 12:07 PM

andyspiers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnaxMuppet View Post
Note: There is a bug in the Wifi... even with the wifi off and scanning turned off my phone still kept connecting to the wifi at home. This was hitting the battery hard. I had to remove the wifi access point and readd it before I could get wifi to stay disconnected.
This bug affected me too. It seems very random.

When I first got the phone, I copied over by hand a load of WLAN access points in offices and friends' houses that I visit from time to time.

When I first used the Log application after a few days, I noticed that the phone was trying to connect to one of the WLAN access points every minute regardless of if WLAN scanning was on or off. This was an access point I'd never even visited/used.

The only way to stop it was to delete that access point.

Last edited by andyspiers; 26-11-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Old 26-11-2010, 02:04 PM

SnaxMuppet is on a distinguished road
Readding the access point seems to fix the problem.