All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 28-10-2009, 03:44 AM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
Worst Rant Ever

Wow, still no VOIP. STEVE!! can you PLEASE fix your summary, and while you are at it, give your friends at Nokia a kick in the bum for lying about this feature, and leaving this out.. again. I am incredibly unhappy with this, given I came from a real smartphone, the n95. This has been a step back, and one that will most likely result in me leaving the symbian world. I've been using Nokia phones for over 10 years now, and series 60 since the 6600, but man oh man, this is just rubbish. I wouldn't consider an iPhone, as any os without multitasking is a toy imo, but with Android around the corner, is this really the time to be REMOVING features from your devices?? Coming soon to ebay.. one used white piece of junk pretending to be a flagship phone. May contain traces of nuts.

Old 28-10-2009, 04:20 AM
Unregistered

Lost Roadsync installation

I lost my roadsync installation and Dataviz does not seem to allow to download the product anymore.
Hope that is just by accident and not to increase the revenues

Old 28-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Unregistered

Lost Roadsync installation recovered

Was able to recover to roadsync installation. Went to the Roadviz website and downloaded a free trial. Was able to install the trial as a normal version with the credentials I had

Old 28-10-2009, 04:47 AM

j d is on a distinguished road
the curse!

I took my bricked n97 down to nokia care, and they told me "how did you get version 20 firmware on it, our system says the latest version is 12"

The curse of the early, early adopter.

So now, after waiting a month for this update, i have to wait for bloody nokia care to get the update!

Old 28-10-2009, 05:16 AM
lansir66

just updated my unbranded Aussie N97 0576208 with no problems. Cheers for the heads up about the Ovi store issue, saves me whinging about that but has anyone else experienced the problem when in photos and you've selected a pic then when you select back it goes back to the Home Screen instead of the 'thumbnail' view of the pics?
Everything else so far seems good and running pretty quick and apart from a minor dissagreement with concrete I've no issues with the phone since I got it 4 months ago

Old 28-10-2009, 08:07 AM

k.ewin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
Would you recomand to those who still haven't updated to v 2.0 to wait until the bugs are (hopefully) ironed out, or maybe to postpone indefinitely the upgrade because what we would get with v. 2.0 is even worse of what we got now?
Yes, I would recommend doing the upgrade. The disappointment is not because anything is worse than before. The disappointment is because the upgrade is simply not good enough for the high expectations in the renewed N97.
Ads

Old 28-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Jetrel

UPNP-AV and Remote-Drive?

What about UPNP-AV-Streaming or Remote-Drive (Web-DAV)? Is it there?
Thanks

Old 28-10-2009, 08:41 AM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansir66 View Post
but has anyone else experienced the problem when in photos and you've selected a pic then when you select back it goes back to the Home Screen instead of the 'thumbnail' view of the pics?
Delete thumbnails file (glxmdstn) which is in e:\private\101ffc31\.
I've had the same problem and that solved it.

Old 28-10-2009, 08:42 AM

Angry Why Nokia should replace product management for the N97

Product management for the N97 really did a bad job. I remember the promotion video from the beginning advertising the style of the N97 and the effort being put into the nice sound when flipping it up. But the real experience screwed all up.

First we had all those problems with camera glass scratches, GPS antenna problems and the massive oversight regarding the size of the C drive. Then the unfinished firmware. And now v20 that unnecessarily does not fullfil it's promises.

I have been defending the N97 firmware from the beginning, because it has been created with high pressure trying to get out a competitive touch screen device. I have been waiting for v20 as the "real v1" firmware for the product.

I really wanted to recommend the N97 on v20 to my friends but:
  • When trying Ovi Store the first disappointment: It does not work. No problem: They shipped an old client. Just update it from the web site.
  • When trying E-Mail it does not do HTML. No problem: They just included the wrong client. Go to email.nokia.com (don't confuse with mail.ovi.com) and install Nokia Messaging. It's free. Sort of. At least during the test phase.
  • When trying internet telephony as I have showed my friends with my N95 more than two years ago: Sorry guys, not this time!
  • When trying to setup the internet connection in various applications: Yes the browser takes destinations. No, Nokia Messaging does not. Yes the settings are different for every application.
  • When trying to connect the phone to Ovi services: Yes there is a unified log in for all services, but you have to set it up differently for every application. Nokia Messaging only allows to enter it at first startup (including connection problems after reinstalling a phone backup). Nokia Maps? Well, it depends on the version.
  • Want N-Gage games? Go download the client from the web page.
  • What's this "Download!" application for? Nobody knows.
  • Want streaming internet radio? *sigh*

What's really bad: Those things would have been easy to resolve: Just make sure the latest software is available in the firmware. Check N95 functionality and make sure the N97 includes all of it. Streamline the settings experience in all applications.

What did you do, product management?

(Have not participated in Nokia bashing yet. Hope this long rant is still somewhat constructive.)

Update: It seems that VoIP is available in v20. More information in later comments.

Last edited by k.ewin; 29-10-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Old 28-10-2009, 08:49 AM

Lansir66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
Delete thumbnails file (glxmdstn) which is in e:\private\101ffc31\.
I've had the same problem and that solved it.
Cheers mate for that info but figured it was time for a hard reset anyway. That fixed it too

Old 28-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Unregistered

Does it fix the rattling lock key? Or the creaky back cover? Sold mine on eBay and will be the last Nokia I ever own. Much better phones out there... hello HTC Touch Pro 2

Old 28-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.ewin View Post
0587861 Swiss white unbranded
thats nuts I have the black version same details and no update.. will try again this evening. Did you go to care point or use NSU?

0585718: N97 Switzerland (CH) CV B
0587861: N97 Switzerland (CH) CV W

Old 28-10-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Did you go to care point or use NSU?
I used Nokia Software Updater from my PC over USB. The update was not available when checking for updates on the phone. I was really surprised to see the update available on the first day via NSU!

Old 28-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

I upgraded my N97 and didnt loose any data including
Ngage,apps,settings nad video/photos.
Kinetic scrooll is exellent.
I ve notice great improovmnet at galleries and at the zoom on pictures.

Old 28-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.ewin View Post
I was really surprised to see the update available on the first day via NSU!
You appear to be quite lucky because the Nokia site still says v12 for both codes. Were you asked to update your NSU software 1st? This is what happened for me.