All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #31  
Old 14-06-2010, 02:14 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sheesh, I didn't realize we are still living in 2004. I can't believe we're still bringing up the myth that Wifi-based features on the phone screws operators over. It's like saying ppl using the PC screw mobile operators over. If the carrier isn't ready to handle video traffic, then limiting the video call feature to Wifi only and still make ppl lock in on the carrier is GOOD for them, not bad!!

-Gene
True. But the ideal would be to allow the actual phone user, or the network, decide what can and can't be done with the phone. If an iPhone user is prepared to pay to make video calls and his/her network is happy to charge for the privilege, it's downright stupid of the OS to prevent this.

  #32  
Old 14-06-2010, 02:51 PM
lark lark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 50
lark is on a distinguished road
Actually I think video calling is one area where I think Nokia will compete/win for one reason...

On the Nokia N900 with the PR1.2 firmware you can now video talk over Skype and gtalk. Natively. Just by making a skype or gtalk call. No fuss.

So my friends do not have to have a FaceTime application or an iphone to video chat.

This alone will kill FaceTime as Skype is sure to release a similar app for the iphone, symbian or android.

Lark

  #33  
Old 14-06-2010, 03:21 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
No doubt Apple will ban Skype from selling/giving away their app through the App Store, if they haven't already....

  #34  
Old 14-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
Not true. Each Symbian app can be designed to do what the programmers chooses when sent to the background. If it is convenient for the app to continue doing what it was doing when in the foreground, then that's just what it does, without being prevented from doing so by the OS. I agree that the iOS4 approach is an improvement on no multi-tasking at all, but it still fails to do something that Symbian has been doing for, well, forever really.

I'm sure that there will be numerous use cases where the iOS4 approach is still too limited; this is not being a zealot, it's being realistic....
Have you read the fact sheet on iOS4 and how it will handle multi-tasking? By your answers it does not appear you know exactly what you are talking about in this regard.

  #35  
Old 14-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
No doubt Apple will ban Skype from selling/giving away their app through the App Store, if they haven't already....
Fact. Prove this and stop talking out your ass........

Now you are just making crap up to increase you post count. You haven't posted one shred of evidence on anything you stated.

  #36  
Old 14-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
True. But the ideal would be to allow the actual phone user, or the network, decide what can and can't be done with the phone. If an iPhone user is prepared to pay to make video calls and his/her network is happy to charge for the privilege, it's downright stupid of the OS to prevent this.
First, I believe the original argument was not hypothesis for Wifi benefits for the phone user, but for the lack of feature on 3g network as a detriment for the carrier. Second, how do we know the Wifi only limitation was not agreed upon by the carriers and Apple? I thought apple said themselves that they're trying to work this out btw carriers, and I don't hear a single carrier complaining about it's lack of 3G support. So, no I don't support carriers, but this argument is more about phone user benefits, disguised as carrier detriment. This sort of argument is like saying Apple "wanted" carrier exclusive availability, when it's so obvious that it's AT&T that imposed this restriction. God, bash apple for their actual faults, like crappy dev policies, not for these idiotic theories.

-Gene

  #37  
Old 14-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
First, I believe the original argument was not hypothesis for Wifi benefits for the phone user, but for the lack of feature on 3g network as a detriment for the carrier. Second, how do we know the Wifi only limitation was not agreed upon by the carriers and Apple? I thought apple said themselves that they're trying to work this out btw carriers, and I don't hear a single carrier complaining about it's lack of 3G support. So, no I don't support carriers, but this argument is more about phone user benefits, disguised as carrier detriment. This sort of argument is like saying Apple "wanted" carrier exclusive availability, when it's so obvious that it's AT&T that imposed this restriction. God, bash apple for their actual faults, like crappy dev policies, not for these idiotic theories.

-Gene
BTW, I also truly hate Apple's reality distortion field marketing, but this clearly not one of those times!

-Gene

  #38  
Old 14-06-2010, 05:09 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Fact. Prove this and stop talking out your ass........

Now you are just making crap up to increase you post count. You haven't posted one shred of evidence on anything you stated.
I wasn't aware that I had to post "evidence" to satisfy one self-important prick; I was simply commenting on Apple's well-known and much reviled App vetting policy, no more, no less.

  #39  
Old 14-06-2010, 05:11 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
First, I believe the original argument was not hypothesis for Wifi benefits for the phone user, but for the lack of feature on 3g network as a detriment for the carrier. Second, how do we know the Wifi only limitation was not agreed upon by the carriers and Apple? I thought apple said themselves that they're trying to work this out btw carriers, and I don't hear a single carrier complaining about it's lack of 3G support. So, no I don't support carriers, but this argument is more about phone user benefits, disguised as carrier detriment. This sort of argument is like saying Apple "wanted" carrier exclusive availability, when it's so obvious that it's AT&T that imposed this restriction. God, bash apple for their actual faults, like crappy dev policies, not for these idiotic theories.

-Gene
I've no idea how the limitation came about, and don't particularly care. In my opinion, it IS a limitation, and a strange one at that, no matter who appears to benefit (or be adversely affected, depending on your point of view).

  #40  
Old 14-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
I've no idea how the limitation came about, and don't particularly care. In my opinion, it IS a limitation, and a strange one at that, no matter who appears to benefit (or be adversely affected, depending on your point of view).
I never thought I'm self-important, but have you ever heard of the term "You're barking up the wrong tree?" :P Of course, if you prefer to do that, go right ahead :P
Ads

  #41  
Old 14-06-2010, 05:15 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Have you read the fact sheet on iOS4 and how it will handle multi-tasking? By your answers it does not appear you know exactly what you are talking about in this regard.
Have you read it? Do you know EXACTLY how it works?

I know what I have heard, and it is obvious (well, to most people anyway) that iOS4 does not multi-task in the same way that Symbian does. Many will feel that this is not a problem, but from what I have heard, there are inevitable limitations with Apple's implementation, which may or may not be a problem for users and/or developers. While it's clearly an improvement, time will tell if what Apple has implemented is sufficient to satisfy the doubters....

  #42  
Old 14-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
I wasn't aware that I had to post "evidence" to satisfy one self-important prick; I was simply commenting on Apple's well-known and much reviled App vetting policy, no more, no less.
Btw, name calling doesn't prove your point, but certainly makes you also look like the prick you're calling other ppl.

  #43  
Old 14-06-2010, 05:17 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I never thought I'm self-important, but have you ever heard of the term "You're barking up the wrong tree?" :P Of course, if you prefer to do that, go right ahead :P
What on earth are you on about?

  #44  
Old 14-06-2010, 05:19 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Btw, name calling doesn't prove your point, but certainly makes you also look like the prick you're calling other ppl.
I suggest you read the post that I replied to before making any judgement, unless you consider "talking out of your ass" suitably polite...?

  #45  
Old 14-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
I suggest you read the post that I replied to before making any judgement, unless you consider "talking out of your ass" suitably polite...?
Well it fits if you are an ass-face....

However, I digress. Time will tell how the FaceTime app works and if its open standards gain traction. Besides your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. They just a more non-prick stain way of getting theirs across.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
brilliant, calling, facetime, forward, pitch, terrible, video

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:00 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy