All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 AM
slitchfield slitchfield is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,002
slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Why battery life sucks

There is a great rant over on Mobile Fanatics, about battery life in mobile devices. The author makes the case that poor battery life is down to lack of optimisation by developers, citing Android as the worst offender. Furthermore, he blames mobile platforms being based on the Unix/POSIX/Linux family of operating systems, stating that these systems were never planned to have been run on mobile platforms where energy is at a premium. Read on for commentary.

Read on in the full article.

  #2  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 PM
jApi NL's Avatar
jApi NL jApi NL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,146
jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Bicycle

It's getting time to include a bicycle in the Smartphone packages . Of course with a (nokia) bicycle charger .
It might cause an explosive hype , reduce rants and make geeks happier .

Regards jApi NL

  #3  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:35 PM
juwlz juwlz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wokingham
Posts: 131
juwlz is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Task killing on Android

It's not pretty, but you CAN kill apps on Android without a third party app:
Settings | Applications | Manage Applications | Running Apps | choose the one you want to kill, and choose force close.

Julie
__________________
Nokia E70 -> E90 -> N97 -> Motorola DEXT (briefly!) -> Google Nexus One

  #4  
Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I do not agree with all of what was written. It seemed to be based more on rant than complete facts. One big problem is that battery technology has not kept pace with the newer devices. I have to give a hats off to Apple for pursuing better technology. The fact that they can squeeze almost 10 hours out of a 17 inch MacBook Pro battery as well as over 10 - 12 hours on an iPad are testaments that some companies are serious about battery life.

  #5  
Old 06-09-2010, 02:05 PM
bbj bbj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 35
bbj is on a distinguished road
burning batteries

From a technical perspective....

Symbian C++ is explictly designed such that apps do not have to execute if they have nothing to do - they are properly event driven. Like them or loathe them, active objects are designed all around only needing to respond to events if there is some work to be done. No polling should ever be occuring.

In contrast Android (or more accurately Java) fails quite miserably on this front. To perform animation on say Android, you have to have a thread of execution that goes round a loop as fast as it can, permenantly, all the time, regardless of processor speed. You poll the timer every loop to determine enough time has passed you then do some work. As bad as you can get for battery life. Want to partion anything, launch another thread + let it burn as many cycles as it can.... etc.

Obviously the above also applies to Java apps running on Symbian so its not immune.

Apple OS fundamentally has the same problem, as does Windows, old PalmOS, any brand of unix/linux etc etc as they are all based on polling for events in their 'getNextEvent()' loop. Sure, some of the burn as many cycles Java approach to life is mitigated by the OS event loops but its still fundamentally the wrong thing to be doing to maximize battery life.

Quite frankly its laughable that '10-12' hours is seen as acceptable. 20 years ago we built real world mobile devices (on early versions of what became Symbian OS) that lasted several MONTHS on 2 std AA batteries. Sure they were not mobile phones with associated signalling but even so...

  #6  
Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I do not agree with all of what was written. It seemed to be based more on rant than complete facts. One big problem is that battery technology has not kept pace with the newer devices. I have to give a hats off to Apple for pursuing better technology. The fact that they can squeeze almost 10 hours out of a 17 inch MacBook Pro battery as well as over 10 - 12 hours on an iPad are testaments that some companies are serious about battery life.
It would be nice if thoses devices actually offered that kind of life in reality, in normal use. I can tell you from experience that they get nowhere near it.

Sequences shortened, some steps removed.

  #7  
Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbj View Post

In contrast Android (or more accurately Java) fails quite miserably on this front.
Dalvik in Android is not Java, no JRE, no J2ME. It's not even a stack machine. It uses some of the language to create classes for compilation to Dalvik, but has its own library.

  #8  
Old 06-09-2010, 04:03 PM
bbj bbj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 35
bbj is on a distinguished road
when is a language not a language

"Dalvik in Android is not Java, no JRE, no J2ME"

Correct its a virtual machine.

However Java is the input language. Its pretty irrelevant that its converted to something else e.g. for a dalvik vm or any other format for any other vm. The key point as far as developers are concerned is the restrictions are defined at the input level - i.e. Java.

Sure the Android App model is somewhat different to say a J2ME app model, but both encourage a polling model, as such if you are choosing to differentiate, neither is particularly well designed for battery conservation.

  #9  
Old 06-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbj View Post
"Dalvik in Android is not Java, no JRE, no J2ME"

Correct its a virtual machine.

However Java is the input language. Its pretty irrelevant that its converted to something else e.g. for a dalvik vm or any other format for any other vm. The key point as far as developers are concerned is the restrictions are defined at the input level - i.e. Java.
.
Seriously?

So the code syntax affects how the SGL, the Surface Manager and 3D libraries work?

LOL! These are C++ libraries with exposed APIs, the "java" style code just calls these APIs and glues things together.

It's true that Android devices are dire for battery life (pound for pound they are even worse than Windows Mobile) but the use of java style code is not the reason.

  #10  
Old 06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It would be nice if thoses devices actually offered that kind of life in reality, in normal use. I can tell you from experience that they get nowhere near it.

Sequences shortened, some steps removed.
Sorry but I agree with the poster. I have gotten over 12 hours out a wifi only iPad following Apple's testing procedures and similar times with a MBP. Not saying that you are wrong, but you are not correct.

  #11  
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry
You are wise to apologise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
but I agree with the poster. I have gotten over 12 hours out a wifi only iPad following Apple's testing procedures and similar times with a MBP. Not saying that you are wrong, but you are not correct.
Well I can only go by what happens when I make real world use (not testing procedures - that would be as pointless as 'urban cycle' figures). I can get far more than 12 hours out of an iPad is I don't touch it.

7 hours max.

  #12  
Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I was not apologizing to you directly. I guess you're having a narcissistic flare up. Anyway, I guess you are supposed to be the standard by which all Apple devices are measured? Maybe the devices, as simple to operate as they are, are just to difficult for you.

  #13  
Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was not apologizing to you directly. I guess you're having a narcissistic flare up. Anyway, I guess you are supposed to be the standard by which all Apple devices are measured? Maybe the devices, as simple to operate as they are, are just to difficult for you.
Obviously. Because when iPad owner use their devices, they always follow the Apple test process precisely.

Duh.

  #14  
Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Great response that: "duh". Must have taken hours to get that just the way you wanted it.

Anyway, I've done the same tests that Apple does on their products and for the most part they are usually on the conservative side. The new iPhone 4 is miles ahead of the 3GS and 3G in terms of battery life. Another thing that is worth mentioning is that Android phones as well as iPhones sort of entice the user into doing something with it. Nokia phones are great for making calls, or sending an SMS, but they are boring utilitarian phones that beg to be left laying on the table until a call or SMS is needed. iPhone and Android users actually use/play with their phones more because they are more exciting.
Ads

  #15  
Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 AM
JokeyRhyme
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Poor battery life comes with the territory

If you want excellent battery life (weekly charges), then just don't bother with smartphones. However, if you want powerful, flexible and fun devices then you'll be looking at charging it every one or two days minimum.

I agree 100% that Android currently makes for a very poor low-end experience, but all devices in the high-end category have issues with battery life, regardless of OS or manufacturer.

Also, Android (and now iOS) applications suspend when you leave them, and only occupy memory (which would be powered up anyway). The only reason any application would still be burning CPU cycles in this state is if it was programmed that way. It should be generally unnecessary to manually manage background tasks on Android and iOS. If you don't like applications that do work in the background, then don't install / use them, or turn them off.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
battery, life, sucks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery test i8910 'Omnia' HD .mp4 (AAC) playback: 8h 10 mins! rleader Samsung S60 5.0 phones - Omnia HD (I8910) 2 13-04-2013 06:50 AM
First battery charge and battery life... tutti89 Nokia N71, Nokia N73 and Nokia N75 1 17-07-2008 06:15 PM
REVIEW & TIPS: extending the battery life on the N95; acbTaskMan vs. Energy Profiler Menneisyys Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 36 23-05-2008 06:52 PM
SE W960i Battery Life Problem !! xPrincex Sony Ericsson W950 and W960i 1 10-02-2008 04:03 PM
Strange battery life cmatthee Nokia 9210 and 9290 10 27-08-2002 04:23 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:21 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy