All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > Symbian^3 phones (N8, C7, C6-01, E7-00)

Old 21-11-2010, 04:47 PM

Hoisin is on a distinguished road
How much battery life do you guys get out of your N8. Mine, I think is pretty poor.

I got my N8 ten days ago, but I'm not really happy with the battery life. I only get about 24 hours out of it. I have it turned on at night because I like to use my mobile as an alarm clock, but at night it is in power saving mode so I think 24 hours is pretty poor.

I have to say that I am a very moderate user, definitely not a heavy user. And I don't have a lot of apps running in the background or apps updating all the time or anything like that. Is 24 hours really all I can expect from this battery.

What do you guys get?

Old 21-11-2010, 05:17 PM

greycounciller is on a distinguished road
On at night?
The alarm rings even if the phone is off.
I can get about a day too, but i'm constantly tinkering and finding out about it's new features so maybe it would last longer, possibly a day and a half.

Old 22-11-2010, 01:13 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
doesn't last a day for me too, probably about 8 hours or so

running 3 emails, polling at 60 mins each

probably due to bad background processes eating up battery, e.g. WhatsApp, Gravity

May try uninstalling WhatsApp to try and see if it fixes battery issue. Gravity running in background is also disabled, as i exit the app now.

Old 22-11-2010, 09:07 AM

SnaxMuppet is on a distinguished road
Mine was only lasting about 24hrs until I stopped everything except the basic phone functions. I stopped Wifi, put the home screen widgets offline and put it in to power saving mode.

I did that yesterday. Now it has been running like that for nearly 24hrs and the battery meter app is showing it still at 92%! At this rate I will be able to go possibly 8-10 days between charges!!!

Now that is not at all bad.

I geneuinely do feel that the bad press that the phone is getting for its poor battery life is not justified. OK, when the phone is used normally, that is with email on, home widgets on, wifi and data on, the the battery lasts not much more than a day. But that is not surprising is it? But just use it as a phone and it goes for many days.

Note: There is a bug in the Wifi... even with the wifi off and scanning turned off my phone still kept connecting to the wifi at home. This was hitting the battery hard. I had to remove the wifi access point and readd it before I could get wifi to stay disconnected.

Old 22-11-2010, 12:47 PM

njefferies is on a distinguished road
I generally get 24-48 hours which is not bad for a smartphone as far as I can tell. Friends with iPhones (3 and 4) struggle to get through a working day with similar usage patterns to me.

I have wifi at home and work so run it in power saving mode normally using wifi for email (2 accounts). Normally, I just web browse a bit and listen to music. Games and GPS seem to be the battery eaters - the only time I've had a dead battery is after letting the kids play on it.

I haven't see the stuck-on wifi issue though I avoid apps like Gravity and Nimbuzz after excessive power drain experiences on my 5800. Built-in social, while limited (no Linked-in!) seens to be power efficient.

Old 22-11-2010, 01:14 PM

stewart01 is on a distinguished road
The battery life is pretty poor IMO.

I posted about my experience:
http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...fe/td-p/808253

"Running on my N8 - I have BT active, Nimbuzz for IM, 15 minutes email syncing, 30 minutes of web browsing, around 20 text messages and less than 5 minutes of phone calls. I barely get 12 hours. On my E71 I'd get around 24 hours."

There isn't much improvement if I turn off Nimbuzz ( and therefore turn off a persistent 3G connection ).

Of course, I realize the N8 has a far larger screen than E71, but still, I don't know what Nokia were thinking when they put in that 1200mA battery, its just not enough.

I would love to know how AAS got the great battery life they experienced... did Nokia put a higher capacity battery in the reivew units?!

Last edited by stewart01; 22-11-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Old 22-11-2010, 03:18 PM

Hoisin is on a distinguished road
The reason I wonder about the battery life, is that before I bought the N8 I read a few reviews that seemed to indicate a really good battery life of between 2-4 days. And with 24 hours I'm not even close to that. I already turned off Whatsapp and other power hungry widgets. I'm running one email account that I sync once or twice a day.

However, I spoke to Nokia this morning and they suggested I turn off 3G at home to maybe stop the phone from jumping between 3G and GSM. And if that didn't help any, they said to send it in for service as it might be a defective battery. So I think I'm going to send it in to see what they might do with it. I hope it is a defective battery because I really want more hours out of it. I really do like the phone, the feel of it is great, it does what I want it to do and the camera is just fantastic.

Old 22-11-2010, 04:05 PM

I've seen reports of improved battery life after a hard reset. Back up your phone first because you'll lose some files, such as themes, the OVI store and Qt library(ies)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisin View Post
The reason I wonder about the battery life, is that before I bought the N8 I read a few reviews that seemed to indicate a really good battery life of between 2-4 days. And with 24 hours I'm not even close to that. I already turned off Whatsapp and other power hungry widgets. I'm running one email account that I sync once or twice a day.

However, I spoke to Nokia this morning and they suggested I turn off 3G at home to maybe stop the phone from jumping between 3G and GSM. And if that didn't help any, they said to send it in for service as it might be a defective battery. So I think I'm going to send it in to see what they might do with it. I hope it is a defective battery because I really want more hours out of it. I really do like the phone, the feel of it is great, it does what I want it to do and the camera is just fantastic.

Old 23-11-2010, 06:28 AM

src81 is on a distinguished road
I cant say the battery back is poor in nokia n8 as far as being a smartphone is concerned. I get easily more than 48 hrs between charging even after not being in power saving mode and having aroung 65 apps installed.

the only thing i do is to connect to network on a need basis. I keep my home screens in offline mode and update only when I need. and never show WLAN availability, only search if needed. and remove the glowing clock screen saver.

Old 23-11-2010, 06:51 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
I get 2 days on the weekends very easily - but on a normal day, lucky to get 24 hours. This is because I am in a crappy zone at work where reception is bad. Moreover, I have to turn off the "Auto detect" on the phone network to stop it bouncing from 3G to 2G (as this is the number 1 biggest battery sucker). Does not help with me getting "push" emails from Exchange either.

I am finding the "Power saving" profile of the phone to be very handy as it stops the widgets from constantly being online and forces 2G mode for less battery sucking. In this mode, can extend the battery considerably.

Old 23-11-2010, 08:02 AM

SnaxMuppet is on a distinguished road
Now into my 3rd day and battery meter is still only 80%

Old 23-11-2010, 12:16 PM

JayTay is on a distinguished road
I'm on day 2 of my current charge (29 hours to be precise). 3G has been connected constantly for 7 hours a day and Wifi the rest of the time. My mail has been syncing every half hour on one account and every hour on another from 7am to 11pm. I've also had SPB Weather refreshing every 6 hours and have used Gravity a few times a day as well. Current charge is at 40% which is pretty good going I think given I've not been using power saving mode.

Old 23-11-2010, 12:34 PM

People really need to state their usage patterns. Saying "I've got 70% after 1 day" is pretty meaningless if we don't know how you've used the phone.

If you've had your phone on powersaving, widgets turned off etc. Why did you buy an N8? You may as well buy some $200 cheap touch screen phone instead.

The N8 is a multimedia phone, just begging to be connected to internet, listen to music, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTay View Post
I'm on day 2 of my current charge (29 hours to be precise). 3G has been connected constantly for 7 hours a day and Wifi the rest of the time. My mail has been syncing every half hour on one account and every hour on another from 7am to 11pm. I've also had SPB Weather refreshing every 6 hours and have used Gravity a few times a day as well. Current charge is at 40% which is pretty good going I think given I've not been using power saving mode.
How did your phone manage that? That is the sort of battery life and usage I was expecting!! With that sort of usage, my phone is down to 40% after 8 hours.

Old 23-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Mines quite good, but i dont have any connections on auto, i connect when i need to connect, i use it most for music and web, i use web via wifi, i use it around 4 hours per day for web and mines lasting around 2 days, sometimes 1 n half depends what i do with it.

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Old 23-11-2010, 10:19 PM

JayTay is on a distinguished road
So in the end I got to 45 hours off one charge, I then switched to Power Saving mode when I saw I was down to 10% and stayed on that for another two hours before charging (I couldn't be bothered waiting for it go flat). In addition to my post above I neglected to mention 40 minutes of SportsTracker.
Ads