All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

View Poll Results: Where do you install most of your applications?
On the Phone Memory 47 48.45%
On the Memory Card 50 51.55%
Voters: 97. This poll is closed

Old 16-07-2007, 11:03 PM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
Mmmmm!
So there doesn't seem to be any technical reason for installing to mem card even for games? Unless the ROM is too big?
Installing and running from the phone would make the games run faster. No?
That's right, no technical reasons. Only if I want to be able to access the game/app's private folder.

The emulator/ROM issue is just an oddity that can be ignored for your purpose I think. Obviously if you only keep a few game ROMs on the phone, the 140MB of phone memory is still plentiful. It all depends on the person. Just checked on mine - I currently keep about 2MB of NES games, 30MB of SNES games, and 156MB of GBA games on my memory card.

Installing to phone memery probably won't make the game /run/ faster, but it will make the game start up a little faster.

Another point I just thought of - it's all very well encouraging people to install everything to the phone memory with the N95, but not all Symbian phones are lucky enough to have as much internal storage memory. For example the N80 only has 40MB, allow 10MB for the contacts/messages/calendar, and you dont' really have that much space left for apps. So those people may not have a choice but to install to the memory card once the phone memory is full/approaching full.

Old 18-07-2007, 03:25 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer keep those votes coming!

its neck and neck .. interesting
Ads

Old 18-07-2007, 09:39 AM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomfan View Post
Another point I just thought of - it's all very well encouraging people to install everything to the phone memory with the N95, but not all Symbian phones are lucky enough to have as much internal storage memory. For example the N80 only has 40MB, allow 10MB for the contacts/messages/calendar, and you dont' really have that much space left for apps. So those people may not have a choice but to install to the memory card once the phone memory is full/approaching full.
Very true. I remember my SE P900 and that had limited phone mem and I was always trying to conserve what little there was.
There is no excuse for modern current models not having enough memory and it is probably down to cost cutting on the part of the manufacturers (thinking that the user can always buy additional mem cards)!
The windows mobile phones/PDAs started out that way as well!

Anyway, I put my theories to the test last night and completely wiped the phone and reinstalled everthing to the mem card. What a mess! Crashes, freezing and restarts!!!!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say I put it back the way it was.

Old 20-07-2007, 10:30 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer You brave foolish boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
Very true. I remember my SE P900 and that had limited phone mem and I was always trying to conserve what little there was.
There is no excuse for modern current models not having enough memory and it is probably down to cost cutting on the part of the manufacturers (thinking that the user can always buy additional mem cards)!
The windows mobile phones/PDAs started out that way as well!

Anyway, I put my theories to the test last night and completely wiped the phone and reinstalled everthing to the mem card. What a mess! Crashes, freezing and restarts!!!!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say I put it back the way it was.
Good show! </capt.mannering.talk>

Couple more days to go .. still neck and neck!
If you haven't voted .. please do so .. as unscientific as it is ..

Last edited by seki; 23-07-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Old 18-09-2007, 02:51 PM

millssteven is on a distinguished road
What is the best practice for transferring apps from memory card to phone memory?
Does it require removing then re-installing?

Old 18-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by millssteven View Post
What is the best practice for transferring apps from memory card to phone memory?
Does it require removing then re-installing?
Yes, that is the exact process. Any data used by the apps will be found by those that are reinstalled.

Old 20-09-2007, 05:42 PM

aoch88 is on a distinguished road
How about themes? Does it make a difference to install on the phone memory? Faster?

Old 21-09-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoch88 View Post
How about themes? Does it make a difference to install on the phone memory? Faster?
Most themes are small enough to go on the phone mem without any impact.
They can be copied and pasted from the mem card. Difference should be minimal, but, you won't then loose them if you change your card. Same with any ringtones, wallpapers etc!

Old 21-09-2007, 07:14 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
I instal in the card, but from reading this will do so on the phone memory in future.

One question, does filling the phone memory up mean there is less memory for apps to run, or is this seperate?

Old 27-09-2007, 02:00 AM

dscobsct is on a distinguished road
It doesnt make a difference because phone memory and ram are seperate,shame eh, in the case of n95 can it get any slower haha. I've always bluetoothed apps over from pc and installed on phone memory so you can hotswap mem cards with media content which you can then play on apps on phone, except themes which I make with carbide, I generally install to mem card as I do tend to fill phone up with half finished projects ( it gives me a better feel for what needs doin to them) which the apps manager really doesnt like for some reson and then wont let me uninstall so its easier to delete them from card than it is to format phone. Now though I got 6gig card so i do all messing about on my n73 so i dont do anythin i might regret on my sparkly n95, I think im ranting now im in work, its 3 in the mornin and im very very tired.