All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-05-2008, 08:38 AM

lanwarrior is on a distinguished road
N95 GPS Lock - some info to help lock satellites

All,

As you can see in some of my posts, I am just having ridiculous amount of time getting GPS lock on my N95-3 (RM-160 - North America version).

I tried firmware upgrade to latest version, hard reset, etc., it just won't work. Typical GPS lock time is 15-30 minutes.

What I found that may speed up the lock is as follow:

1) CLOSE any GPS applications (Google Maps, Garmin Mobile XT, etc.)
2) Without running any applications, go to Menu -> Tools -> GPS Data
2) Go to Positioning Settings and select Assisted GPS, Integrated GPS, and Network Based
3) Click Back
4) Select Navigation and then Options -> Satellite Status
5) Wait for a moment, and you should see the Satellite bar becoming black, meaning lock is acquired
6) Exit
7) Start your GPS application

With this, I got lock in about 15-30 seconds. It seems that when the phone goes to Standby mode, the GPS chip goes to sleep and will not wake up again when opening GPS applications such as Nokia Maps or Google Maps. It has to be "forced" to wake up using GPS Data.

Let me know if you guys got the above to work with your N95 (even non North America Version)
Ads

Old 24-05-2008, 12:48 PM

Casperuk is on a distinguished road
you've missed a step in

2) Without running any applications, go to Menu -> Tools -> GPS Data

Old 24-05-2008, 12:59 PM

ccraig is on a distinguished road
your surroundings and where you are in the world all have effect on your GPS lock

Old 24-05-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig View Post
your surroundings and where you are in the world all have effect on your GPS lock
Correct, but judging from many posts in the forums, people have problem even when the sky is clear and there is no obstructions.

I tested my N95 alongside my TomTom GPS and Sprint Mogul (this one have A-GPS, not integrated) in 3 different locations. TomTom and Sprint Mogul ALWAYS get a lock in less than 15 seconds while the N95 not.

Old 24-05-2008, 09:21 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
you obviously have a specific problem with your n95, as everyone else gets 15 seconds locks. at least i do. usually i have 6 satellites locked, once in a while i have 9-10 satellites. the difference between the other stand alone gps receivers is they can connect to more satellites, like 20 or more, while the n95 can only connect to 12 max. and they are more sensitive. my acura navigation gets a lock instantly. but considering the n95 is a low power solution, and inside a mobile phone with a 5MP camera and other things to boot, its very acceptable. particularly when you get 15 second locks with it. it seems like you have a problem but i dont know what you can do, cause nokia repair will just play games with you.

Old 24-05-2008, 11:15 PM

gerrit is on a distinguished road
Ive got to say that I often use either Garmin or GPS data to kick start the GPS. Nokia Maps and Viewranger often seem slow. I am undecided about Trimbles Geocache software.

I know it Crashes the phone if in poor phone recption area, but not certain how well it "wakes up" the GPS.

I agree there does seem to be a diffrence, if it is Memory Allocation or whatever, I find software can change GPS Start up times...

I am glad some else feels that way!

Gerrit

Old 25-05-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
Ive got to say that I often use either Garmin or GPS data to kick start the GPS. Nokia Maps and Viewranger often seem slow. I am undecided about Trimbles Geocache software.

I know it Crashes the phone if in poor phone recption area, but not certain how well it "wakes up" the GPS.

I agree there does seem to be a diffrence, if it is Memory Allocation or whatever, I find software can change GPS Start up times...

I am glad some else feels that way!

Gerrit
I use Garmin MobileXT and it still takes a long time. I tried to use GPS Data before starting any GPS Mapping application and sometimes I get lock sometimes I don't.

I am now pissed because I spent so much $$$ and even though it's quite a widespread problem (I Google it), based on my research Nokia will not acknowledge it and when a unit is send, they just update the firmware and nothing else.

I am thinking of writing to Nokia to get this fixed. If they don't want to, I think I should write to the newspaper and BBB. May not do something, but at least I try.

Old 25-05-2008, 02:22 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
All,

As you can see in some of my posts, I am just having ridiculous amount of time getting GPS lock on my N95-3 (RM-160 - North America version).

I tried firmware upgrade to latest version, hard reset, etc., it just won't work. Typical GPS lock time is 15-30 minutes.

1) CLOSE any GPS applications (Google Maps, Garmin Mobile XT, etc.)
What is your main GPS app? Garmin Mobile? Nokia Maps?

I would advise upgrading to Nokia Maps V2 if you are using Nokia Maps.

I use Route 66 V8 2008, and lock times are never more than 3 minutes, even when I have not used GPS for some time and even in very cloudy weather. (I do not use network based or A-GPS location, I have these modes disabled to avoid data charges).

One think worth asking... did you perform a BACKUP/RESTORE operation after your last FW upgrade? If so, this can cause manu problems with handset OS stability. I would recommend you format the internal phone memory (*#7370#) if you continue to experience intermittent issues with GPS alone.

Old 25-05-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
What is your main GPS app? Garmin Mobile? Nokia Maps?

I would advise upgrading to Nokia Maps V2 if you are using Nokia Maps.

I use Route 66 V8 2008, and lock times are never more than 3 minutes, even when I have not used GPS for some time and even in very cloudy weather. (I do not use network based or A-GPS location, I have these modes disabled to avoid data charges).

One think worth asking... did you perform a BACKUP/RESTORE operation after your last FW upgrade? If so, this can cause manu problems with handset OS stability. I would recommend you format the internal phone memory (*#7370#) if you continue to experience intermittent issues with GPS alone.
I tried both: Garmin Mobile XT and Nokia Maps. I just upgraded Nokia Maps to 2.0 and now I am getting "Maximum numbers of connections in use. Disconnect.."

I didn't perform RESTORE after firmware upgrade. I let it wipe out all my data since the phone is new (no data actually).

I thought *#7870# will wipe out the internal memory (HARD RESET) and *#7370 only do soft reset?

Old 26-05-2008, 03:29 AM

i think you have those reversed. i think 7370 is the hard reset. and i know that cause the last 4 digits of my cell number is 7370

Old 26-05-2008, 05:42 AM

Peter321 is on a distinguished road
What you need to make sure of, when having A-GPS enabled, is that you have a valid access point and positioning server set under:

Tools->Settings->General->Positioning->Positioningserver.

The access point needs to be a valid GPRS/3G access point, and the server address must be: supl.nokia.com

Once this is set correctly you should in under most circumstances get a lock within 15 sec. I can even get a lock (albeit not with too many sats.) when indoors!.

Old 26-05-2008, 09:18 PM

like i posted on hofo, i believe the problem is your carrier proxy. i use the ATT access point without the proxy. and i believe you are using tzones on tmobile USA which there's no way to get around the proxy. hence, your AGPS is not even working. maybe someone else can confirm.