All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-12-2003, 07:10 PM

Shadow12 is on a distinguished road
Pirated Software (Discussion)

As a software developer i hate seeing people put out of jobs due to software piracy but then when you you look at the price of a peace of software you realy start to think that there must be a cheaper way. Symbian software is very reasonably priced. Some of it i think is a bit far fetched but on a whole its good. I especialy like the trials since it gives one a chance to try and get used to the software before they buy it. One thing that i would like to see is the sourcecode of software to be made available for a fair price or possibly free when the user buys the software. This can alow a programmer such as myself to change things that we find annoying in other words tailor it to suit our needs. I dont mind paying for software but i sometimes feel like the software was not a sound economical investment.

I know this is just a rant but i was searching the forum and came across the subject in a very old post and well software and its development is my thing and before the year was out i wanted to voice my opinion on the mater. Thanks for listening(well if you got this far you must be listening or realy bored).

Feel free to coment and sugest!

Old 01-01-2004, 12:08 PM

coolice is on a distinguished road
Source Code

Hi,

On the outside it sounds a good idea to be able to doctor the software to how you like it, I wish I was capable of doing it myself.

But, if the suppliers give you the code whats to stop you altering it, packaging it back up and distributing it to others? Undermining the original programmers anyway. By your post I don't think you would, being a programmer yourself, but they don't know that.

Anyway, whats to stop you dis-assembling it, altering it and repacking it? I'm sure you have the skills. I won't tell anyone

Happy New Year,

Ian

Old 01-01-2004, 04:44 PM

Shadow12 is on a distinguished road
Very true!
Disasebling or anyform of reconstructing the original files from the compiled is messy and very often ineffective. They should be able to place some safeguards for missuse of the originals by putting some identifying features in the code. All i know is that i want the code :(