All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

View Poll Results: Where do you install most of your applications?
On the Phone Memory 47 48.45%
On the Memory Card 50 51.55%
Voters: 97. This poll is closed

Old 13-07-2007, 11:18 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
One reason for installing on card memory is that it keeps phone memory free. One reason not to install on memory card is that every time you connect to a PC in Data mode, those apps need to be stopped. Pain in the butt if you have things like Profimail, AgileMessenger, Shozu, running in the background, Handyweather (and I think why TruPhone will only install on phone).
Ads

Old 13-07-2007, 11:52 AM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
One reason for installing on card memory is that it keeps phone memory free. One reason not to install on memory card is that every time you connect to a PC in Data mode, those apps need to be stopped. Pain in the butt if you have things like Profimail, AgileMessenger, Shozu, running in the background, Handyweather (and I think why TruPhone will only install on phone).
You have 148Mb on the phone which is more than enough for anyone so why keep some free?

Old 13-07-2007, 11:55 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
You have 148Mb on the phone which is more than enough for anyone so why keep some free?
Exactly my thinking! In theory, I want to be able to carry spare memory cards with more music on (although I actually don't at the moment) and be able to swap them without the phone losing half its apps!

Old 13-07-2007, 12:02 PM

If you think about it logically you install your apps on your PC to the drive with the OS installed and not to a mem card!

Old 13-07-2007, 06:12 PM

PimpSC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can you explain what you mean by depending on the app?
Sometimes I want to have the app always available, even if I pull the card out, or swap it with another. If that's the case, I install it on the phone mem. An example would be mLock.

Sometimes I don't care if the app is present all the time. If that's the case, I'll install it on the card. For example, the podcast app.

Old 13-07-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSC View Post
Sometimes I want to have the app always available, even if I pull the card out, or swap it with another. If that's the case, I install it on the phone mem. An example would be mLock.

Sometimes I don't care if the app is present all the time. If that's the case, I'll install it on the card. For example, the podcast app.
So it's a pure preference rather than for a technical reason? I ask because I am coming to the conclusion that installs on the mem card can and do cause problems!
Not all the time and not to everyone (we all use a different set of apps) but often enough to be a significant factor in the smooth operation of the phone.
And that surely is what most (all) of us want. (The smooth operation that is)

Old 13-07-2007, 08:23 PM

PimpSC is on a distinguished road
You may be right, specially if the app is one of those constantly running. Before I upgraded the firmware I installed the new WLM app on the memory card and since that time I had trouble connecting my phone using USB. After the firmware upgrade, I installed the app on the phone's memory, it was worth it.

Old 15-07-2007, 09:14 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Bumping it back to the first page

Some interesting discussion points, so far.
I was going to ask those people who use memory cards how many they own?
Personally I have 3 but have only ever used one of them. Waiting for a speedy 4G to become affordably priced.

Old 16-07-2007, 05:55 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
The reason for different locations for SW is the fact that when swapping different mem cards I still want the most important applications to work.

Old 16-07-2007, 09:54 AM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
Waiting for a speedy 4G to become affordably priced.
I bought a 4GB Sandisk card from www.picstop.co.uk for 39.90, comes with a SDHC card reader as well.

Old 16-07-2007, 10:10 AM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
I wrote this in another thread, but thought its' relevant here so I'll just copy and paste... It's about why installing to phone memory rather than memory card.

1. Well, why not?
2. Space consideration - the phone memory has about 140MB free when it's new (or just after firmware update), if you have a memory card, then it's just really the contacts, messages, and calendar entries which will use the phone memory, and usually they only take up a small proportion of that space. Rather than letting that space to go waste, why not put your applications on it and leave your memory card for more photos/music?
3. Performance - applications installed to the phone memory will generally load slightly faster than ones installed to the memory card.
4. Tidiness - in theory, apps installed to the memory card should still all work after a firmware update, which would be a compelling reason to use the memory card, but a lot of people's experience seem to suggest otherwise, so you often end up with dead apps which won't work and doesn't want to go away. Seeing that this convenience doesn't always work anyway, it'd be less messy to have all the apps on the phone memory; and when you update the firmware they definite disappear completely. Although you'll have to reinstall everything, I actually prefer this process as it's a more consistent approach.

Personally, the only apps I would install to memory card are the emulators from Vampent, and a game called K-Rally. The emulators will only load ROMs from the drive it's installed to, and the ROMs can get quite large, especially with GBA games. So memory card is really the only option if I want to keep few hundred MB of ROMs with me. As for K-Rally, I don't want to lose my game progress everytime I update firmware, but the save files are stored in its own folder under the private folder. If I install to phone memory there's no way to access the private folders there; memory card is OK though, as long as I read the card using a PC. Similar logic would apply to any other games you want to be able to save progress for.

Old 16-07-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomfan View Post
I wrote this in another thread, but thought its' relevant here so I'll just copy and paste... It's about why installing to phone memory rather than memory card.

1. Well, why not?
2. Space consideration - the phone memory has about 140MB free when it's new (or just after firmware update), if you have a memory card, then it's just really the contacts, messages, and calendar entries which will use the phone memory, and usually they only take up a small proportion of that space. Rather than letting that space to go waste, why not put your applications on it and leave your memory card for more photos/music?
3. Performance - applications installed to the phone memory will generally load slightly faster than ones installed to the memory card.
4. Tidiness - in theory, apps installed to the memory card should still all work after a firmware update, which would be a compelling reason to use the memory card, but a lot of people's experience seem to suggest otherwise, so you often end up with dead apps which won't work and doesn't want to go away. Seeing that this convenience doesn't always work anyway, it'd be less messy to have all the apps on the phone memory; and when you update the firmware they definite disappear completely. Although you'll have to reinstall everything, I actually prefer this process as it's a more consistent approach.

Personally, the only apps I would install to memory card are the emulators from Vampent, and a game called K-Rally. The emulators will only load ROMs from the drive it's installed to, and the ROMs can get quite large, especially with GBA games. So memory card is really the only option if I want to keep few hundred MB of ROMs with me. As for K-Rally, I don't want to lose my game progress everytime I update firmware, but the save files are stored in its own folder under the private folder. If I install to phone memory there's no way to access the private folders there; memory card is OK though, as long as I read the card using a PC. Similar logic would apply to any other games you want to be able to save progress for.
randomfan, many thanks!
This is the sort of info I was after.
I am not a game player, period, so I have no experience with how they operate so your insight is crucial. It seems that from what you are saying there is some software that requires you to install to mem card and also that it may be because of sloppy programming as there wouldn't seem to be any reason that the app/game should be forced to look in a particular mem location as many other apps can be installed on the phone and seek data or anything else from other locations.
I would again also think that it would not be difficult to programme an app/game to save app/game progress in any location.
Does anyone else know of any other apps that require this?
If we could compile a list of this type of software we could test the theories about location causing problems!
I wonder how many have installed stuff on mem card, had problems and blamed the phone?
This could all be about better designed software!

Old 16-07-2007, 12:17 PM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
randomfan, many thanks!
This is the sort of info I was after.
I am not a game player, period, so I have no experience with how they operate so your insight is crucial. It seems that from what you are saying there is some software that requires you to install to mem card and also that it may be because of sloppy programming as there wouldn't seem to be any reason that the app/game should be forced to look in a particular mem location as many other apps can be installed on the phone and seek data or anything else from other locations.
I would again also think that it would not be difficult to programme an app/game to save app/game progress in any location.
Does anyone else know of any other apps that require this?
If we could compile a list of this type of software we could test the theories about location causing problems!
I wonder how many have installed stuff on mem card, had problems and blamed the phone?
This could all be about better designed software!
Indeed, in the case of the Vampent emulators I use, there's no reason why they can't be programmed to load ROMs for other locations - my megadrive emulator (Picodrive) can happily do this. Maybe it's something I can raise to the developers in Vampent's forum.

As for other games (and any applications too, generally), they all have their own bit of private space for any settings/saves/config/whatever, that they know the user can't mess with. This would be a subfolder inside the private folder on whichever drive you install the application to. It just so happens that in the case of memory cards, although you can't get to its private folder using the phone, the similar restriction doesn't apply when the card is being read by a computer. There isn't generally any need to backup an application's private folder, but if you do want to, installing to memory card is the only way I know. I do it with K-Rally as I've put in many hours of play to gain experience points and unlock new cars/tracks - don't particularly fancy doing all that again

Actually, that's not strictly true. I think if you can manage to sign a file manager with the AllFiles capability/privilege, it would be able to poke in the private folder on the phone memory. But that's not something users can really do.

Last edited by randomfan; 16-07-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Old 16-07-2007, 06:44 PM

dorisall is on a distinguished road
I used to install on the memory card but after having multiple sd cards on hand: for music, for camera, and for other. this has become a pain. So now i put all apps on the phone so whatever mSD card is in, I have all my apps.
Ericsson T19 -> Nokia 3330 -> Nokia 8310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Samsung T100 -> Nokia 7210 -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> Nokia 7250 -> Nokia 6600 -> imate pocket pc -> Sony Ericsson P900 -> Nokia 9290 -> Nokia 9500 -> Motorola V600 -> Motorola Razr -> Nokia 7280 -> Nokia N90 -> Nokia N93 -> Blackberry Pearl -> Nokia 95(NOW) -> Nokia E90 -> Motorola Razr2 V8 -> Nokia N71 -> Imate PDA2K (Still have it) ->Nokia N95 8GB -> Nokia E71-1 -> Samsung T919 -> Nokia N96 -> T-Mobile G1 + Nokia N96 -> Nokia N97

Old 16-07-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomfan View Post
Indeed, in the case of the Vampent emulators I use, there's no reason why they can't be programmed to load ROMs for other locations - my megadrive emulator (Picodrive) can happily do this. Maybe it's something I can raise to the developers in Vampent's forum.

As for other games (and any applications too, generally), they all have their own bit of private space for any settings/saves/config/whatever, that they know the user can't mess with. This would be a subfolder inside the private folder on whichever drive you install the application to. It just so happens that in the case of memory cards, although you can't get to its private folder using the phone, the similar restriction doesn't apply when the card is being read by a computer. There isn't generally any need to backup an application's private folder, but if you do want to, installing to memory card is the only way I know. I do it with K-Rally as I've put in many hours of play to gain experience points and unlock new cars/tracks - don't particularly fancy doing all that again

Actually, that's not strictly true. I think if you can manage to sign a file manager with the AllFiles capability/privilege, it would be able to poke in the private folder on the phone memory. But that's not something users can really do.
Mmmmm!
So there doesn't seem to be any technical reason for installing to mem card even for games? Unless the ROM is too big?
Installing and running from the phone would make the games run faster. No?