All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
A fresh look at the Nokia N97

David Gilson is a S60 veteran, mainly using 3rd Edition, but hadn't used a touchscreen device until recently (with the 5530). Going for broke, we arranged for a him to go all the way, to trial a Nokia N97 for a month, looking forward to the chance of getting a fresh take on this most-talked-about Nokia flagship, unencumbered by disappointments from the device's early firmwares.

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-03-2010, 07:21 AM

Arcade is on a distinguished road
Very good review. Very impartial and comprehensive.

Old 30-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Unregistered

Most of us are aware that the jury has returned a verdict of not good enough on the N97, but it's nice to read an opinion in perspective, instead of the usual exaggerated vitriol. Particularly this:

"S60 5th Edition, which the N97 runs on, has been criticised for being outdated, and having a touch interface bodged on top. However, 5th Edition is logically laid out and it's not too complicated to find anything."

Which is absolutely true.

By the way, my iPhone needs two taps for some things. What's the big deal? Can't people cope with two taps?

Old 30-03-2010, 07:35 AM

kevwright is on a distinguished road
I don't think people have a problem tapping twice, and if you had to tap everything twice, no issue at all. But 5th Ed is littered with examples of sometimes its once, other times twice. Messy.

But the real point about this device is simply summed up here

"For example, it is actually impossible to have Ovi Maps, Spotify and Qt (needed for other applications) all installed on the N97 at once"

How could an enthusiast buy this having read that line?

Kev

iPhone & Tech Blog at http://www.kevwright.co.uk

Old 30-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Unregistered

N97Mini is better

The N97Mini doesn't have the C: drive problem.

Old 30-03-2010, 07:53 AM

sashford is on a distinguished road
Good review of the N97.
I suspect I am not alone in having looked at the N97 and N97 Mini from an 'E Series' perspective, and been slightly disappointed that one or two features are missing. Given that the devices are fairly well suited to document editing, it is a pity that you have to buy upgraded software to do it. And no support for printing documents or emails - I have found that occasionally useful, and even an impressively cool thing to be able to do!
Perhaps Nokia are over zealous in trying to preserve the distinction between E and N series. Or maybe Nokia are planning an E series equivalent of the N97 (mini), as it the obvious hole in the E series range.

P.S. I think the headphone socket is probably in the right place, as often you would want the device n your pocket, whilst you listen to music.

Old 30-03-2010, 09:52 AM
yitwave

Suggested amendments

Just 2 comments:

1) The C:\ issue is beaten to death but I have installed Nokia Messaging, Nokia Maps 3.04 (beta), Java 2.0 Runtime, Nokia Bots, Ovi Store, Swim and I have 25.7mbs free. I'm just surprised you can't get the 3 apps into c:\.

2) Video editing is available in the "Photos" app, where videos can be altered by: 1) Changing the background sound track, 2&3) edit / cut 4) insert text. While not an effecient video editor, it is usable if you take the effort to learn how to use it and you don't mind fiddling for a while. I've made a few edited videos and all viewers are generally shocked they were filmed and edited on a phone.

100% agree the N97 is for geeks given the stability and tweaks required to get this thing working. But when it isn't freezing or causing me to reset this ... the phone is still amazing.

Old 30-03-2010, 10:51 AM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

yitwave, quite right regarding the video editor. I was miss-footed by trying to find video editing options while the video was playing, not in the actual gallery view. So I looked again after reading your comment and found the editing options. I've updated the review now, sorry about that folks!

I will just add now that I'm not writing quite so formally about the phone, is that while its stability drives me up the wall, I have absolutely loved having it, and it will be sorely missed when it goes back to London.

The N97 exceeds the sum of its bugs!

Old 30-03-2010, 01:20 PM

pintofale is on a distinguished road
So David, will you swap your legendary E90 for an N97?

Old 30-03-2010, 02:13 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintofale View Post
So David, will you swap your legendary E90 for an N97?
Well, I'm not fortunate enough to have an E90, my own phone is an E55. However, I am giving serious thought to finding an N97 or N97Mini on Ebay, after having had this N97.

Old 30-03-2010, 05:51 PM

ecotrojan is on a distinguished road
Ah Queens Gardens in the centre of Hull.

Not a bad shot from the N97 to be honest.

Old 30-03-2010, 06:01 PM

michaelwaite is on a distinguished road
Now I am really torn. Last night I had decided to replace my old and flaky N73 with an N97. Now I read your article I cannot pretend I dont know what to expect.
To be honest the reason I have stuck with the N73 so long is that it does what I want. I use Google maps for Nav, Google mail, Google reader,Google voice search and MobiReader for downloaded books. And I'm happy (apart from when the camera freezes). I read on other threads of the N97 having problems with these Google apps as well.
What a pity Nokia spoiled the N97 from being my best friend for a good few years.
I suppose it is over to Android thereby ending a long journey that began with the Nokia 7650.

Last edited by michaelwaite; 30-03-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Ads

Old 30-03-2010, 06:04 PM

pintofale is on a distinguished road
I forgot the thank you for the useful review in my earlier post - many thanks.
Surely it wouldn't be too difficult, especially now that Symbian is open-source, to create a kind of C drive swap file which resides on E, and therefore offers extended storage? Does anyone with Symbian development experience have an opinion on this?

Old 30-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintofale View Post
I forgot the thank you for the useful review in my earlier post - many thanks.
Surely it wouldn't be too difficult, especially now that Symbian is open-source, to create a kind of C drive swap file which resides on E, and therefore offers extended storage? Does anyone with Symbian development experience have an opinion on this?
That's an interesting idea, and assuming that there are no showstopping gotchas, why not have an applications installed C: drive area written out to the memory card when the app is not in use, freeing that space for in-use apps. When the original app is needed the data is written back in before running.

When you think about it, this amounts to having the .sisx for the app on the E: drive, and installing it just before use, but a bit quicker this way.

I'll have a little go at this tonight. It won't help with apps that need to run at the same time, but might save some installed space if you are selective about which apps.

Old 30-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilson View Post
Well, I'm not fortunate enough to have an E90, my own phone is an E55. However, I am giving serious thought to finding an N97 or N97Mini on Ebay, after having had this N97.
Ebay pricing for used Nokia phones aren't that great. Often they're priced at or above what you'd find for new devices on Amazon, Newegg or Dell.