All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 15-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia Maps / Ovi Maps 3.0 extras reviewed

Steffen Geraner, despite English not being his main language, has put up a lovely little walk through and real world assessment of some of Ovi Maps 3.0's 'extra' features, including speed cam warnings, tunnel handling and 3D buildings. Worth a read. Maps 3.0 is turning into a pretty huge product - look out for more features on it here on AAS over the summer.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Unregistered

I hesitated a lot in installing this latest version of Nokia Maps as the beta versions, including the final beta released a few weeks back simply refused to work on my N82 and I had to reformat the phone a couple of times. What a pleasant surprise though I had with this one. Its just really really good IMHO.

Old 15-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Problems

A lot of forum activity on this version causing gps instability with frequent loss of lock making navigation useles.. After installing this version all other programs using internal gps are similary affected..

Old 15-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Unregistered

Question How to see route summary in maps 3

Can someone please tell me how to see route summary from point A to point B on Nokia Maps3 ?

Once I click "Drive To" from your current position, if I want to see what route it leads to - how can I see that?
(Other than navigating thruough the map)

Thanks

Old 15-07-2009, 04:04 PM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
by the way, just got an update to maps 3.1 on my N97, along with - finally - the Ngage application

Old 15-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Unregistered

Question Is license required for naviagation ?

Also can someone correct me if I am wrong. I am in the view that we do not need to any license to use nokia maps (using 3.0) for using "Drive To" feature. I have used to for a couple of times and I did not pay for any license. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. I am confused with the above article on license required for using navigation.
Ads

Old 15-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
You do need a license, but most devices come with a period free - 3 days at a minimum and up through 3 months, six months and even lifetime.

Old 15-07-2009, 04:36 PM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
Not sure how it causes GPS instability. Ovi Maps is great

Old 15-07-2009, 05:38 PM

Insane Reindeer is on a distinguished road
Well I will admit that the version 2 of Nokia maps that came on my N85 was not great, but I quickly learnt how to work around it's faults.

But the upgrade to Ovi Maps was a good sign of things to come. It worked without a hitch. It detected my installed maps no problem, sorted out (and expanded) the remainder of my license and it now works pretty much flawlessly! There has been absolutely no problem with any of the other GPS needing apps on my phone. I will say that the route re-planning is noticeably faster now than it was before, and it's off line search is much more accurate!

It is a really recommended upgrade in my honest opinion!

Old 15-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Unregistered

I think it has improved, but now instead of the 3d buildings, I have a gaping hole in the map. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 15-07-2009, 08:26 PM

bullroar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A lot of forum activity on this version causing gps instability with frequent loss of lock making navigation useles.. After installing this version all other programs using internal gps are similary affected..
I used Maps 3.0 today for the first time in anger today for a trip to Liverpool. I have all those problems and more on my N95. Gave up in the end. Unconvinced.

Old 15-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
You only see the 3D building is you have a City Explorer license (i.e. a pedstrian license - at least I think that's the case).

Old 16-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Unregistered

any news on mac support yet?

Old 16-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Unregistered

a warning anyone who was saving their free license, don't update to maps 3.0 because it will automatically activate your license simply by opening the app once you upgrade. Won't even ask if it can go online first, it just does it on its own. I'm so pissed i was saving that for when i actually need it. Stupid nokia.

Old 16-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Unregistered

what about this photo manager for nokia 5800?

what about this photo manager for nokia 5800?
http://work.shpe.ro/?id2=00030011

video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDJPBnSv0wc