All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-03-2010, 06:56 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
I've sent off for one of those recycling envelopes

Well, I saw that 02 will offer me 180.99 for my N97 so I've sent off for the free post envelope.

I was talking to someone at work about the HTC desire, and had a play with his HTC touch HD and I decided, I want someone a bit more 2010!

So, I think, when the Desire is released I'm going to order one. From the videos I've seen on Youtube, the Desire looks spot on - 1GHZ processor, OLED capacitive display, Android and the swish HTC sense front end..... and the FM radio which is one of the big reasons I don't want an Iphone!

I was quite amazed when I saw how smooth Google street view was on the desire, it was almost like being there! The phone has some serious grunt.

So, it looks like my Nokia journey is nearly over. Once the N97 goes I'll be firing up the brilliant N95 for a while until the new phone arrives, it does everything I do on the N97 so I won't miss it....

It's a bit of a shame really because I was fully on board with Nokia, partly because I had my work Outlook syncing sorted, so upgrading to a new Nokia was always easy.

This time though I'm focusing on getting the right phone, and will work out how it fits with all the other stuff when I get it.

That said, I've already worked out how to sync my work Outlook with my Google cloud calendar so I'm assuming that the phone will syc with the cloud and I will then have an indirect calendar sync. Not sure about how I'll do contacts and notes, but I expect I'll find a direct way of doing that in time.

So that's it folks! I've wasted some money but I like my gadgets and want a phone that has a bit of wow factor, as well as actually delivering to goods... lets hope that being an early adopter won't be a mistake like it was with the N97....

Old 31-03-2010, 05:15 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
i found that if you're using office communicator and live meeting, your live meeting entries wont be synced with google calendar, only regular meetings will

Old 31-03-2010, 07:37 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Banzi !!!! That's sooo sad

I hope you'll be happy with your new phone

xxxxxx

Old 31-03-2010, 07:55 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
sorry to hear this but i read a review of the desire and it sounds awesome!

i've been thinking about changing the n97 in the next 6 months or so (just because i get bored easily and would like a shiny new toy) but there is one thing i'm not sure i can live without- a built in FM transmitter! i use it so much now, listening to music in whatever car i'm in, and also playing films on it (with sound through FM trans) in the car to keep the kids entertained.

decisions, decisions.........

Old 31-03-2010, 09:16 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
One other reason for not getting an iPhone - iTunes. That prog is a pile of junk. I can list quite a few more.

I'll be interested with your HTC Desire opinions when you get it!

Old 31-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm View Post
i found that if you're using office communicator and live meeting, your live meeting entries wont be synced with google calendar, only regular meetings will
Ah! I noticed that, good to know it's not just my setup - thanks

The N97 does have some very good points, like the keyboard, the built in storage, and the FM transmitter (although only used it once)......

I'll defo write up a review of the new phone when I get it.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me out with quesitons I've had over the past months, it's been appreciated.

Old 31-03-2010, 11:46 PM

wills54321 is on a distinguished road
This is so tempting - I really loved Nokia phones but the N97 has just destroyed my love affair with them.

I think I might join you in ridding myself of my N97 and going back to my 9500 until I find a better replacement.

-Will

Old 01-04-2010, 04:28 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Shame to hear it Banzi, but I fully understand your reasons, and although my N97 is working ok, I still feel a but underwhelmed by it all.

I was having a look at a work mate's HTC Touch Pro 2 and it just felt very nice, solid, well made, and of coure - multiple home screens. THe only thing that put me off was the Windoze, and this is where the Android version really appeals to me.

I think the time has also arrived for me to look around for a phone that actually makes a joy to use- most of the time when I pick the phone up, I think it's about to stop functioning - it doesn't, but it just worries me, and that is no fun at all.

Good luck with your new phone, and please let us know what's it's like from an owners persepctive
RM-530
E72-1

Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 AM

I will defo report back.

The N97 is now hard reset and in the envelope, just need to sent it special delivery after work.....

I've done this before with a car (becuase I just wanted it), but with the N97 I focused on the good reviews before I got it, and hoped the comments about the slow processor etc would not be a problem. But, they were.

With this Desire, I've yet to find anything negative (apart from the lack of voice google search). So, I'm hoping that this really will be a joy to use. I've looked at tons of Youtube vids and so far not seen any sign of sluggish menus or slow responses.

Plus, the Android store looks like it has all the decent apps you'd want, unlike Ovi.

As I said though, I will miss some Nokia features. Something which is never mentioned on here but is really good is the Communicatino Centre. I use this all the time to write text messages when at work, it makes them as easy to do as writing an email on the PC.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:04 AM

craigyb is on a distinguished road
I too have abandoned ship in favour of the HTC Desire, although it has no SIM access profile I decided to live without that for now. So the Nokia N97 and the ill fated SE Sh1tio are to be sent away for recycling.

The HTC is sooooooo nice to use. A little too quick if you ask me sometimes, my GF's Iphone 3G is so slow in comparison and the N97 is like owning a ZX80.

I got email working, managed to copy the messages from the N97 to the Desire using SMS Backup and Restore from the Droid Apps store. All my movies now play ok instead of 1 min of footage then blank. Music is easy to find and play. The weather apps are brill and the screen animations blow you away. I especially love the windscreen wiper that clears the rain droplets form the weather forecasts.

Just awaiting release of the 32GB Micro SD cards.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Good to hear it's going well!

How have you managed to get a desire? It's not out yet?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Carphone Warehouse have them in stock, I was looking at them yesterday!! Price is around 420 for handset only.

Been asking questions on the Android Forums re the Desire, and I'm pretty tempted. It's just lacks a couple of things that I wold want to find an alternative to:

FM Transmitter. It can however connect to your car stereo via Bluetooth, but my car doesn't have that, as it's an older model.

Mass Storage. None built in, so would have to go down the SD card route.

Maps and Navigation. Google Maps anyone?

Syncing with Mac - again no iSync, but can get other programmes.

But, no negative reviews to be found anyhwere, the speed and performance seems to be so good.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 03-04-2010, 10:04 AM

The maps is a good question. With the nokia maps you can download them and so don't have to incur charges when abroad. I wonder if there is something similar with Google?

But, I saw a vid of google maps and it does seem to have navigation as standard but just without voice guidance, which I think is USA only.... might be wrong.

CFW have them in stock?! Hmmm, might have to go down there on Tues! I didn't know they did off contract phones. Initial investigates seems to show that they'll be about 420 online too, so may as well buy at a shop.

The internal storage is an interesting one actually because the phone is a fair bit cheaper than when the N97 was launched but a 32GB SD isn't going to be cheap. I think, for the time being I'll just make do with the 8GB card I've got.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
Couple of questions, if i may.....

If i get a bluetooth enabled stereo in the car, will it play music over BT from the phone? As well as act as a BT handsfree kit?

How does the Desire compare with the N97 in terms of photo and video quality?

And finally (this may be a stupid question) but will opera mini work on it? i've become so used to fast internet (even in areas with no 3G/Edge etc)

Thanks

(trying very hard to resist, just tell me its crap and i can save my money )

Old 03-04-2010, 10:37 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
The maps is a good question. With the nokia maps you can download them and so don't have to incur charges when abroad. I wonder if there is something similar with Google?

But, I saw a vid of google maps and it does seem to have navigation as standard but just without voice guidance, which I think is USA only.... might be wrong.

CFW have them in stock?! Hmmm, might have to go down there on Tues! I didn't know they did off contract phones. Initial investigates seems to show that they'll be about 420 online too, so may as well buy at a shop.

The internal storage is an interesting one actually because the phone is a fair bit cheaper than when the N97 was launched but a 32GB SD isn't going to be cheap. I think, for the time being I'll just make do with the 8GB card I've got.
If you buy online and then decide you don't like the phone you have a period in which you can return the device for a full refund. Carphone doesn't allow any returns for off contract phones unless you can prove the device is faulty.

Just something to think about.
Ads