All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
AAS Insight 116 - The Nokia N8

As part of our Nokia N8 coverage we have recorded and published the All About Symbian Insight Podcast (number 115) a few days early. Ewan, Steve and Rafe share their thoughts on the announcement of the first Symbian^3 phone and Nokia's new imaging flagship. Over 45 minutes we run through the N8's hardware and software and discuss the device's pricing and positioning, how the launch was handled and much more. You can listen to AAS Insight 116 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 29-04-2010, 02:00 PM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
Massive improvements under the hood? I like it already

Funny comment re icons UI

Old 29-04-2010, 02:02 PM

jrmt is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth v3

Rafe,

You mention in the podcast that Bluetooth v3 is low-power. It's not. That's Bluetooth v4. Bluetooth v3 is high-speed Bluetooth over 802.11 radio.

Old 29-04-2010, 02:49 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
In section about something missing from the phone. I would say the one thing you missed is divX/Xvid decoders.

Old 29-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Melly

I'm ready to buy the N8 in a heart beat but the striking question is: Would it be upgradable to Symbian^4, because I don't wanna be stucked with an OS that would become obsolete in 6 months. Thanks
Ads

Old 29-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmt View Post
Rafe,

You mention in the podcast that Bluetooth v3 is low-power. It's not. That's Bluetooth v4. Bluetooth v3 is high-speed Bluetooth over 802.11 radio.
Thanks - I thought as I said that there was something not quite right. I should have checked though :(

Will try and remember to include a correction in the next podcast.

Old 29-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by yade View Post
In section about something missing from the phone. I would say the one thing you missed is divX/Xvid decoders.
I think we may see movement in this area before release. But yes it is a good point... I hope we'll see some third party support for this too.

Quote:
I'm ready to buy the N8 in a heart beat but the striking question is: Would it be upgradable to Symbian^4, because I don't wanna be stucked with an OS that would become obsolete in 6 months. Thanks
Nokia wont comment on this. Past history would suggest this is unlikely though... but then again with the open sourcing of Symbian one of the barrier to this has been removed. But there's a break in compatibility for software so I think it unlikely.

Old 29-04-2010, 05:17 PM

brendand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly View Post
What's your definition of obsolete? If you mean not the latest version then yes. If you think you'll be left without any apps being developed for this "older" platform then I don't think that will be the case. Anyone developing an app for Symbian^4 will have to use Qt. As long as there is a match between the version of Qt on your phone and the version of Qt the app was developed for, you'll be fine.

Old 29-04-2010, 05:26 PM

mwarner is on a distinguished road
I'd also be interested to hear more about the supported video codecs & HDMI out resolutions.

From Nokia's specs here:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...specifications

we have:

H.264 (base profile, main profile, high profile), MPEG-4, VC-1, Sorenson Spark, Real video 10

... which doesn't explicitly say DivX as a supported container. It would be a pity of this container format is NOT supported, as I am sure most users would like to copy across their DivX media and not have to change containers. This is one great thing about Samsung devices (e.g. i8510 and i8910 in the Symbian world) that other companies do not seem to implement.

In terms of HDMI output we have:

Video playback time (H.264 720p, 30 fps, maximum): 6 h (via HDMI to TV)

This LOOKS like we would be able to output native 720p video to a HDTV, but i'd love to have this confirmed. If it just upscales the 360x640 display output it would be a bit of a disappointment to me & probably many others too, but wouldn't surprise me greatly.

Old 29-04-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarner View Post
I'd also be interested to hear more about the supported video codecs & HDMI out resolutions.

From Nokia's specs here:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...specifications

we have:

H.264 (base profile, main profile, high profile), MPEG-4, VC-1, Sorenson Spark, Real video 10

... which doesn't explicitly say DivX as a supported container. It would be a pity of this container format is NOT supported, as I am sure most users would like to copy across their DivX media and not have to change containers. This is one great thing about Samsung devices (e.g. i8510 and i8910 in the Symbian world) that other companies do not seem to implement.

In terms of HDMI output we have:

Video playback time (H.264 720p, 30 fps, maximum): 6 h (via HDMI to TV)

This LOOKS like we would be able to output native 720p video to a HDTV, but i'd love to have this confirmed. If it just upscales the 360x640 display output it would be a bit of a disappointment to me & probably many others too, but wouldn't surprise me greatly.
Yes. it outputs at genuine 720p, not 360*640 scaled up. That's what you get with the Vivaz because it doesn't have a HDMI port built in. Tell me - why would they put a HDMI port in if they were going to waste it like that?

Old 29-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly View Post
That's actually my conern with the N8 as well. I already bought one abandon-ware Symbian device from Samsung; I'm not in a hurry to do the same from Nokia.

Despite the assurances from the gang on this blog, who I'm sure are sincere, I'm not even considering the device until I hear it officially from Nokia. If the N8 gets an update to ^4, then it's all good.

Old 29-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendand View Post
Yes. it outputs at genuine 720p, not 360*640 scaled up. That's what you get with the Vivaz because it doesn't have a HDMI port built in. Tell me - why would they put a HDMI port in if they were going to waste it like that?
I'm assuming that the Vivaz has the same Composite Out as my i8910, which purely replicates the 360x640 display of the device. My worry is that the N8 will do exactly the same, just with a higher quality output - i.e. 360x640 upscaled to 720p, and if a 720p video is displayed it will once again just upscale the display of the phone rather than rendering it at 720p over HDMI and downscaling it to 360x640 on the device.

I am not saying that this is definitely going to happen, but it would be by far the easier solution, and i'm not sure the phone could cope with displaying both resolutions simultaneously.

Old 29-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Founder / Chief

Jimmy1 - I have said elsewhere that, on balance, I think a Symbian^4 upgrade is unlikely.

Videos and pictures are output at full / true 720p resolution (i.e. when you have them in full screen mode).

When using the rest of the UI - that is upscaled rather that outputted at 720p.

Old 29-04-2010, 06:31 PM

That's great news Rafe - it certainly steers me towards the N8 as my next phone. I don't suppose you have any insights as to what container formats are supported do you?

Old 29-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarner View Post
That's great news Rafe - it certainly steers me towards the N8 as my next phone. I don't suppose you have any insights as to what container formats are supported do you?
I worked on testing the New Graphics Architecture that enables this, so you can believe me as well as Rafe