All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 29-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic: (P)Review part 3 - Apps and Conclusions

In the concluding part of his very detailed hands-on (p)review of the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, based on almost a month of day-to-day running with Nokia's 'Tube', Rafe Blandford brings us a report on the rest of its applications and on third party software compatibility, plus, of course, he sums up the device. Why is it unique and just how well will it do worldwide?

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-11-2008, 06:21 AM

jonnybruha is on a distinguished road
Once again, all S60 devices support full HTML email. Open the attachment in any HTML email and it will open a web page with all of the graphics loaded. It's not as direct as other email systems, but it's still there.

Old 30-11-2008, 07:36 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Great review Rafe and I must say, the S60 5th edition is appealing to me a lot.. But I am also very tempted to wait for a eseries or a nseries version. I think that will be much better than this one, even though the 5800 is pretty good too and I am of the opinion that this model is more of a test model by nokia..

Old 30-11-2008, 08:22 AM

ogami_ito is on a distinguished road
Hi Rafe,

Thanks for the great review.

Overall, your review was great. However, I have some disagreements / issues with this last review.

1. I cannot tell from your conclusion if you personally actually liked the phone.
2. One thing that may be a concern for people is performance of videos. This phone is mid-tier and lacks HW graphic acceleration. Does that mean that videos may be "choppy"?
3. I disagree with what you are saying about positioning. I mean...actually you are right, but it misses a larger point. Significant profit margins and brand-development opportunity are in the "smartphone" upper-end market segment. And in this segment, many consumers believe that "smartphone" means a phone with touch-screen. Nokia is treating the 5800 as just another form-factor of its smart-phone product line (S60), whereas many consumers will be looking at this as Nokia's first smartphne (because its the first touch-screen phone). Hence, in the smart-phone market segment, the phone must be compared with Winmo devices, Android, and yes, the i.....

Old 30-11-2008, 10:18 AM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
Hi Rafe

Great review. In my opinion, every s60 phone is like a blank canvas on which you can paint your own pictures by installing apps of your choice. I am all for waiting for N- and E-series touch devices, but I doubt they will be within the reach of most consumers (myself included). 5800 has all the basic ingredients - Mail for Exchange, motion sensor, wi fi, TV Out - that used to set N- and E- series apart from vanilla s60.

So Nokia will have to come up with something with significant HARDWARE enhancements above 5800 in order to make a plausible N- and E-series device.

As for HW acceleration - well, N96 has the same processor, RAM and chipset as 5800 (by the way, shame on Nokia on ridding its entire new lineup of dual processors and dedicated graphics). No one complained about video playback on that one, so it must be fine here too.

Old 30-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Update: Compatibility mode is not inf the final firmware. I have 'grayed out' this section of the review. As mentioned I've been working with a pre-release device. I hope to get the device flashed to final firmware and will report back then.

Old 30-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogami_ito View Post
Hi Rafe,

Thanks for the great review.

Overall, your review was great. However, I have some disagreements / issues with this last review.

1. I cannot tell from your conclusion if you personally actually liked the phone.
2. One thing that may be a concern for people is performance of videos. This phone is mid-tier and lacks HW graphic acceleration. Does that mean that videos may be "choppy"?
3. I disagree with what you are saying about positioning. I mean...actually you are right, but it misses a larger point. Significant profit margins and brand-development opportunity are in the "smartphone" upper-end market segment. And in this segment, many consumers believe that "smartphone" means a phone with touch-screen. Nokia is treating the 5800 as just another form-factor of its smart-phone product line (S60), whereas many consumers will be looking at this as Nokia's first smartphne (because its the first touch-screen phone). Hence, in the smart-phone market segment, the phone must be compared with Winmo devices, Android, and yes, the i.....

To address your points one by one.

1) Yes I personally like the phone, but I try to be as objective as possible. I also try to avoid coming to definitive conclusions with pre-release software.

2) I haven't really pushed the video yet, but if you optimise video for the device you shouldn't have any trouble. There's some preloaded content which looks great and BBC iPlayer works well too.... That said it wont necessarily match the higher spec stuff. We'll have more detailed look at this sort of multimedia performance in due course in more detail.

3) I know exactly what you mean. I think this is the difference between business strategy (which is what I was referring too) and marketing strategy. Normally these are reasonably aligned, but with touch devices there's a lot of media attention which means its not as close as it might be. And yes you're right there will be comparisons (and to an extent I was trying to make a point). Given other touch devices from Nokia re not far away this point will be moot. Important for gagdet lovers now, but the vast majority of people will see several touch Nokia devices next year not one that is first. At least IMHO!

Old 30-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Ben_Kri is on a distinguished road
search function in calendar app

I am still wondering: the calendar in S60 3rd doesn't have any kind of search function. If you have a lot of appointments, and you are not sure when the meeting with Mrs. XYZ will take place, there is no way to find out except looking day by day in the calendar app.

I find that strange... that's nothing specific to 5800, but to S60 calendar in general...

Old 30-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@Ben: Every S60 device for years has had a global search utility, usually on the device's home screen. I'm 90% certain that the 5800 includes this as well, but will double check when my production firmware 5800 arrives back here on Tuesday....

Old 30-11-2008, 02:37 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Angry

I'm aghast that they still don't seem to have made any effort with the built-in apps. Still no html email, and I'll bet recurring appointments in the calendar still can't do "third Saturday in the month" or similar. Just how difficult can this be? I could do it with my Psion TEN years ago fer chrissake!

Old 30-11-2008, 07:12 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
One important thing to remember is that not everyone wants an iPhone. I would guess that there are literally millions of people that do not want an iPhone that have been waiting for this phone.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:33 AM

djbriandowling is on a distinguished road
Video editor

great review,

2 questions to rafe if you don't mind.

does it work with the nokia bluetooth keyboard the su-8w? i have my n95 wired into my sunviser screen in my car and its so cool using it with the keyboard so i kinda hope it does so i can keep the set up i have.

and does the 5800 have the video editor application?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 AM

djbriandowling is on a distinguished road
oh btw did anyone spot this phone it batman dark night!!!?
Ads

Old 01-12-2008, 08:41 AM
BoyBawang

programs

Hi Rafe,
Is there a QuickOffice? what about StopWatch and Timer?

Old 01-12-2008, 03:36 PM
wils_place

video on the 5800

hi rafe. great review. there is one very important and very specific question i would have to ask and it would be great (for everyone i'm sure) if you could check and clear up this issue for all of us. for me the 5800 is a great first step for nokia into the touch screen world and is posed to capture not only the entertainment market, but also the PDA-PIM market (as long as the right PIM apps are developed) but right now i'm more focused on the more immediate issue, the entertainment side of it. i use an n82 and as what you may call a heavy media user (video and music) and sees the 5800 as the next platform for my video consumption. but since the 5800 has the same specs as the n82 (correct me if i'm wrong on this), does this mean it will experience the same characteristics as the n82 when handling video? i currently use coreplayer for watching movies and shows on my phone and so far its worked out fine because it plays all the formats i have thrown at it so far (PSP, AVI, DIVX, XVID, MKV, MPG, etc.) without transcoding (and i know many people hate this =) ) but one thing i have noticed about this is that when the video resolution is about 720x480 (720p or DVD resulotion, right?) the playback sometimes starts to be choppy for some videos. My request is can you test coreplayer (or any player that plays native videos without need for conversion) can play videos smoothly on the 5800 because in my opinion, if there is such a player, would make the 5800 the best mobile video player out there. my concern is the similarity in specs of the memory and the processor between the 5800 and my n82. if the n82 stutters while having to render only a qvga screen, would it mean it would be a disaster for the 5800 (hope not!) to try to do the same thing but try to render video on a close to VGA screen? anyway, hope you can test and let everyone know. i don't like the iphone because you have to do everything thru itunes, and i'm more of a drag and drop guy. Thanks in advance and more power to you =)