All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
PixelPipe and Shazam on the 5800

Just a quick link to a couple of nice software mini-reviews in the last 24 hours over on the Nokia 5800 'Tube' blog, looking at PixelPipe, which plugs a number of popular image and video sharing services into S60 Share Online, and at Shazam TrackID, which tries to identify music that's captured by the phone's microphone. A couple of nice 5-minute reads.

Read on in the full article.

Old 19-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Bosambo is on a distinguished road
Angry Shazam?

Please, please, please could you NOT promote Shazam?

The mere fact that people on any platform other than Gods very own ordained handset, the iPhone , have to pay per track they tag while the Jesus phone is supplemented by the rest of us is a slap in the face and I for one won't be a party to it. When we start saying to the third party app developers "yeah, we're fine with being screwed over so Apple can look like geniuses off the back of your work...go ahead!" then it will continue to happen. Despite having more handsets in users hands (the s60 platform) we get screwed in comparison to the Jesus phone in that we pay for Shazam...we get a gimped iPlayer service from the BBC, we get NO app from Facebook despite the iPhone being on version 2.0 with 3.0 awaiting approval (don't get me started on the installable Facebook link icon!!!) an eBay app that stagnated, was handed over to another set of developers, broken and then sold to a single provider for exclusive use on their handsets, no official Last.fm support, so effectively they can turn off Mobbler whenever they like etc...the list goes on.

So please...for the sake of my sanity. as a community, can we just take a stand against this treatment of anyone non Apple like a second-class citizen?

Old 19-08-2009, 11:49 AM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosambo View Post
So please...for the sake of my sanity. as a community, can we just take a stand against this treatment of anyone non-Apple like a second-class citizen?
Agnostics have ever been considered second-class citizens. We do not believe in the the big apple, nor the big window and the butterfly in the sky. I doubt S60-ers are staunch believers in S60. S60 is about Getting Things Done and freedom of choice.

Old 19-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Lloyd....

Shame on you!

How dare anyone fault any company for trying to make a dollar (or pound). So what if Shazam wants to charge. It's their business and their rite. We don't fault you for preferring a toy to a real phone. And if you were an investor in Shazam you would be applauding their efforts to generate some revenue.

Get off your high horse and accept the fact that companies exist (INCLUDING APPLE) to make money! Case in point. Apple's profits are in the billions right now, and yet they have asked all of their internal and temporary workers to take pay cuts! So, how worker and community friendly are they? How are they any different then Shazam, or Nokia, or IBM, or yes Microsoft?

Get over it.....there's an app for that!

Old 19-08-2009, 06:38 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Err...

...we do have a Facebook app. I have it on my 5800.

As for Shazzam it's on trial and is free for now. To be honest it's a bit of a gimmick. Also, there's Midomi as an alternative.

Ovi is still a bit of a mess but there's loads of decent apps there.

Old 21-08-2009, 07:59 AM

Lloyd, it seems you decide to comment without first READING what I had written. Either that or reading comprehension is not your strong suit. You seem to be under the impression I own an iPhone and this was a dig at the S60 platform. Having looked at my comment a couple of times again I can't for the life of me see how you got there. I'll explain again. ONLY people using S60 phones are charged to use the service. I'm no communist and believe in paying a fair price...but to give a service away to one group and charge another in a seemingly arbitrary way...well if you're happy with that then fair enough. What if your phone provider said they wanted to give iPhone users more minutes for free so will be charging you more for using a non Apple handset? I suppose your free market spirit would commend thier industrious flair. Not me.
Ads

Old 21-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
...we do have a Facebook app. I have it on my 5800.

As for Shazzam it's on trial and is free for now. To be honest it's a bit of a gimmick. Also, there's Midomi as an alternative.

Ovi is still a bit of a mess but there's loads of decent apps there.
Yes, and that's great...for S60 v5 users. The rest of us on v3 have been routinely screwed over for yonks and I say to myself...should I keep supporting this platform if at every turn I get a second rate experience?

Old 22-08-2009, 12:58 PM

capitaine is on a distinguished road
I use Shazam fine on the i8910, its free, there's no charges. It's a great app. If you're on S60 v3 and it charges, then you certainly didn't make that clear in your opening post.

Old 23-08-2009, 08:50 PM

Seeing as my WHOLE complaint is about being charged to use the service I don't get your last statement.

ShazamID, the service available to S60 devices, is a 3.00 a month subscription service (Free on iPhone, Andriod or Blackberry...not available on Win Mobile) If you have it for free then it seems your phone manufacturer has paid for it to be installed and serviced for free...good for them...I guess.