All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-01-2006, 05:20 PM

Locoblade is on a distinguished road
Hi Dez

Ive just checked and this afternoon with the single PockeGPS file installed I had 10 POI's enabled in all (the same as yesterday's 2 hour drive without any PocketGPS files), initally with camera warnings on route only, but on the way home tonight I had it switched on to always warn regardless of whether on route or not. I didnt actually go past any camera sites but it ran for the 40+ min journey without fault, much longer than I managed with the seperate PocketGPS setup, so my feeling is that its more likely related to the multi file version of PocketGPS than it is to POI's in general, in my case at least.

cheers

Chris

Old 22-01-2006, 06:54 PM

bluestar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob
dez, locoblade, gary cat,

can any of you see if you can activate speech recognition on your N70 with TTM running. you don't have to connect it to GPS, just start TTM application.
i surely can't be the only person with this additional problem?

cheers,
rob
well unable to activate it while TTM runs (even without any GPS or bluetooth activated), and if I try to activate it while connected to my HS-26 the whole phone hangs and have to restart.

TT software is definitely wrong somewhere !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 22-01-2006, 10:12 PM

swat47 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoblade

Im not sure its worth looking too far into the card read speed issue because I assume Tom Tom are suggesting this as a potential fix for when people have issues with straight out the box vanilla Tom Tom (without PocketGPS databases etc which the'll never warrant it working with). In most cases on here it appears that without the PocketGPS data, there's very few problems
Thats not entirely accurate...... The reason I started this thread was to research a fix for "straight out the box vanilla Tom Tom" I had problems with tom tom from the very beginning, with only tom tom POIs on the card. It still crashed and dropped the GPS connection just as frequent as when i started to use PocketGPS POIs.

Nokia N96 on 3 (Three Mobile)

History:
Nokia N96 | Nokia E61 | Nokia N70 | Nokia 7610 | Nokia 7250i | Nokia 3410 | Nokia 3310 | Nokia 3210 |

Old 22-01-2006, 10:13 PM

swat47 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoblade

Im not sure its worth looking too far into the card read speed issue because I assume Tom Tom are suggesting this as a potential fix for when people have issues with straight out the box vanilla Tom Tom (without PocketGPS databases etc which the'll never warrant it working with). In most cases on here it appears that without the PocketGPS data, there's very few problems
Thats not entirely accurate...... The reason I started this thread was to research a fix for "straight out the box vanilla Tom Tom" I had problems with tom tom from the very beginning, with only tom tom POIs on the card. It still crashed and dropped the GPS connection just as frequent as when i started to use PocketGPS POIs.

Nokia N96 on 3 (Three Mobile)

History:
Nokia N96 | Nokia E61 | Nokia N70 | Nokia 7610 | Nokia 7250i | Nokia 3410 | Nokia 3310 | Nokia 3210 |

Old 23-01-2006, 10:52 AM

docrob is on a distinguished road
bluestar, thanks for reply - i presume eveyone has this speech recognition problem??

i think it's best to focus on the speech recognition problem as it removes other factors (eg. your BT GPS unit and you can even remove MMC factor if you install the TTM application on the N70 internal memory). at least this way TT can't deny the problem or blame another factor. i'm not having a go at TT i'm sure they'll get there in the end.

i've tested TTM on the N70 internal memory (you obviously can't have maps installed but it will start without MMC even in the phone) and it still causes immediate problems activating speech recognition, so there must be direct problem with TTM application.

anyway i was sent a vesion from TT a few days ago which has N70 choice on the menu and the application is version 5.202. it doesn't improve anything though.

i don't know if speech recognition problem and GPS drops are related but the speech recognition/using BT headset is much more frustrating than occasional GPS drops (not that i want them either though!!).

i'm sure we'll get there!

Old 23-01-2006, 10:53 AM

crazyjlondon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
hi,

i have followed this thread for while now. i have same sort of problems. i have latest v3 firmware. and as well as GPS drops and phone occasionally rebooting (sometime when receviing call) it also has problem when using speech recognition on the N70 (which i haven't seen posted before).
if you have TTM application running and you navigate to the main telephone menu then hold down the right selection key (which activates speech recognition), it should make sound and then you will see progress bar with "speak now". BUT with TTM running, if you try and activate speech recognition the phone is very slow to respond with both the tone and "speak time" progress bar. Well it does for me anyway. i originally noticed this problem using my BT headset and activating speech recognition via BT, but you don't even need the BT headset attached - just activating the speech recognition via the phone causes problems.
As soon as you exit TTM the phone springs to life and speech recognition commands appear on screen.

i'd be interested if anyone else has this specific problem. TT are currently investigating it for me. i'd be greatful for any test results back which i can pass to TT.

rob

ps: just got TTM 5.202 off TT and will test this with GPS this week. this 5.202 version still causes problems with voice recognition though so it definately doesn't sort everything out for me. anyone else have this voice recognition problem??
Hi not sure how you have found the 5.202 update as i just visited Tomtom site and the only upgrade was for 5.20

Old 23-01-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swat47
Hi so your saying you have the purchased speed camera database from Tomtom and its still causing the problem?

I do hope you have mailed tomtom suport to ask for it to be fixed in the next update.

As they are claiming its only happening with 3rd party poi's.
Thanks

Old 23-01-2006, 11:06 AM

i was sent the 5.202 update by TT to try out. it's not on their website. it's clearly a different application (i compared it to the TTM 5.20 application) but it doesn't sort things out though.

Old 24-01-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
bluestar, thanks for reply - i presume eveyone has this speech recognition problem??

i think it's best to focus on the speech recognition problem as it removes other factors (eg. your BT GPS unit and you can even remove MMC factor if you install the TTM application on the N70 internal memory). at least this way TT can't deny the problem or blame another factor. i'm not having a go at TT i'm sure they'll get there in the end.

i've tested TTM on the N70 internal memory (you obviously can't have maps installed but it will start without MMC even in the phone) and it still causes immediate problems activating speech recognition, so there must be direct problem with TTM application.

anyway i was sent a vesion from TT a few days ago which has N70 choice on the menu and the application is version 5.202. it doesn't improve anything though.

i don't know if speech recognition problem and GPS drops are related but the speech recognition/using BT headset is much more frustrating than occasional GPS drops (not that i want them either though!!).

i'm sure we'll get there!

You would say we concentrate on speech recognition?

I would say not....

For this reason....
We are trying to get TOMTOM working on our mobiles at the same standard as stand alone TOMTOM devices these run the speed camera database which is Much MORE important then some silly speech recognition that none of us lot seem to have been trying. we are simply trying to get the software running in its standard form ..Ie not crashing not loosing the gps device and trying to get the POI's working.

Try a new topic on say
N70 and tomtom speech recognition you might find its going to get a detailed answer.
THANKS.

Old 24-01-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjlondon
You would say we concentrate on speech recognition?

I would say not....

For this reason....
We are trying to get TOMTOM working on our mobiles at the same standard as stand alone TOMTOM devices these run the speed camera database which is Much MORE important then some silly speech recognition that none of us lot seem to have been trying. we are simply trying to get the software running in its standard form ..Ie not crashing not loosing the gps device and trying to get the POI's working.

Try a new topic on say
N70 and tomtom speech recognition you might find its going to get a detailed answer.
THANKS.
you're entitled to your opinion. with the latest firmware my gps drops are every hour or so (and quickly solved by selecting BT again). making and receiving calls with BT headset is more of a pain for me. anyway i'm sure it all relates to the same thing.

i've had much more interest from TT with the speech recognition problem as it removes other variables (namely GPS and MMC). if they sort out a stable TT application then it will handle all the POIs just like the other TT devices.

all i'm asking is does anyone else get the speech recognition problem. it's a simple test to do (and i don't think it's off the topic of this thread).
a simple yes or no will suffice

Old 24-01-2006, 05:22 PM

Looks like its not my memory card ...

Just puchased a high sped card 132x its still given me the same problems with the speed zoned files, does any one have any old speed camera files that are genuine tomtom that they can mail me.... i dont care if they are old i just want to try theirs so i can contact tomtom over the next matter.
Thanks

crazyjlondon@hotmail.com

Old 24-01-2006, 08:59 PM

bluestar is on a distinguished road
yes speech recognition problems with two N70 and TomTom

Old 25-01-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar
yes speech recognition problems with two N70 and TomTom
thanks bluestar,

i just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me, which it clearly isn't.

crazyjlondon, i'll let you get back to discussing GPS drops, 3rd party POIs etc.

i'll let you know if i get a stable version from TT.

Old 25-01-2006, 01:17 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
New UK V6.32 MAPS

Hi all,

Just thought I would mention, I downloaded and installed the latest 'Great Britain Plus' V6.32 maps for TomTom.

The GB maps are now over 200Mb in size (more than double the 5.60 version), but have had no affects - good or bad - on the stability of TomTom 5.20 on the N70.

Registered users can safely install the latest maps with no adverse affects.

Cheers,
Dez
Ads

Old 25-01-2006, 06:08 PM

Locoblade is on a distinguished road
Some more updates from me, apologies if people have found similar but Ive not read the entire thread for several weeks now so cant remember.

Anyway, last night having had a totally reliable TT for about 6 hours+ use, I installed a few other 3rd party POI databases (eg the McDonalds one etc, not other speed camerea POIs), including one I created myself in WinOV2. Suprise suprise within 15 mins of leaving home this morning, I lost GPS connection. It happened again within another 5-10 mins so I unselected all the 3rd party POIs apart from the single file camera database (which has worked fine for hours previously) but 3 more times on the 30 min journey home it bombed out again.

However, I have yet to need to reboot my phone or even exit Tom Tom to regain the connection, I simply go into the GPS Setup within Tom Tom (where it shows you all the satellite strengths) and within 20s the graphs will turn blue again and reconnect, and be OK again (for 5-10mins). I also sometimes need to do this when first getting in the car otherwise TT sits there saying no GPS.

So, the conclusion I am coming to is that Tom Tom on the V70 possibly doesnt like more than one ov2 file in the map folder at any one time? I will delete the POI files tonight and try two ov2's tomorrow to see how that goes, and gradually add them until it starts crashing again