All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-12-2005, 12:47 PM

gavc_uk is on a distinguished road
I've not yet tested tomtom without POI's but I can confirm that a 4 hour journey without map mode worked just fine and even with "General" profile active.

I did think that outside of map mode the camera database was not working but it was just chance as about 2 and a half hours in up popped a camera alert.

I agree that the cameras are a must have so I think I will opt to go without the full map mode for the time being.

I can't imagine it will be too long before an aupdate comes along.

Old 22-12-2005, 03:58 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
TomTom Official Response on N70 / TT5.20

Hi,

I contacted TomTom Support and after a few days researching my questions, they made the following official response:-

Response 22/12/2005 01.53 PM
Dear Mr Scott,

If ordering the Mobile software it will come with the 5.20 software installed so you should have no problem installing it. Please make sure that you N70 has the latest firmware installed as it is required.

We have tested a N70 here with the MK-II GPS and we have had no connection problems with it.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

In other words TomTom.COM state you need the latest N70 firmware and TT5.20 to be fully supported. When you have this combination of hardware, they claim they cannot reproduce any faults.

I am willing to bet that TomTom's testing comprised of an engineer sitting at his desk with a GPS receiver sitting on the window, with TT5.20 running all day STATIONARY.

Several people, including myself have noted in the past (when I owned a GPS receiver) that if you don't move, then TT doesn't lose GPS signal or crash!

Dez

Old 22-12-2005, 04:24 PM

RichardP is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I can confirm that TomTom does seem to run longer either by turning the map display off, and/or by disabling poi. I've also noted tomtom seems to run longer using the standard voice. I suspect some kind of memory problem with the n70 is causing this. The disabling of POI and maps just means it can last longer before a crash. Possibly a memory leak of some sort.

However I still have POI installed on the phone and warnings for speed cameras on. I still experience Tomtom loosing GPS and crashing after about 30mins to 1.5 hours. I have a BT 77 FYI.

I will probably try and remove the POI from the phone completely and disable the warnings to see if that works. If it does then I'll be fairly happy knowing that i'll get to my destination without it crashing at a crucial moment.

I'm sure a new patch won't be long, and I'm almost convinced to get a tomtom GPS unit to see if that helps. Couple this with the latest firmware when I can be bothered to go to a Nokia Service centre and hopefully it'll be sorted.

Do other people still experience the crashing and problems with POI on with an official tomtom GPS device?

Richard

Old 22-12-2005, 04:37 PM

RichardP is on a distinguished road
Just phoned a nokia service centre but they say it'll take 2 hours to flash my n70. to me 2 hours seems too long, does it really take 2 hours or are they tell porkies as they can't be bothered to do it?

thanks

Richard

Old 22-12-2005, 04:38 PM

mattk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As POI's seem to be the problem has anyone tried the v605 map with the POI's enabled? Someone on another forum reported the problem solved after switching to that map.
Tried the V605 Map earlier on today with POI speed cameras enabled and guess what..... IT CRASHED

Ads

Old 22-12-2005, 06:43 PM

bluestar is on a distinguished road
Tried deleting the POI that I added and all worked very well with the map mode on and the in-built POI activated.

May be that it has to do with POI sound warnings, I'll test tomorrow

Old 22-12-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Just phoned a nokia service centre but they say it'll take 2 hours to flash my n70. to me 2 hours seems too long, does it really take 2 hours or are they tell porkies as they can't be bothered to do it?
I dont think it takes 2 hours mate, i read some guys post that he had his upgraded while he waited. Think it was at a place called "The Word". Have a look on here as im sure thats where i seen it..

Quote:
May be that it has to do with POI sound warnings, I'll test tomorrow
I will also test this and report back

I have been searching for any clues as to why the custom POI's would cause crashing, and i read alot of posts regarding the same problem with TT Navigator. A patch was released for this apparently (for TT Navigator).

I also came across this paragraph on a web site reviewing TomTom nav:

"You can also create your own graphic. The restrictions are that it must be 256 colour 8 bit .bmp format file. If it is not then it can cause TomTom Navigator to crash."

So i checked all mine and they are all 8 bit or below, however i am unsure how you check whether they are 256 color or not?

Anyone know how you check that?

I wonder why the n70 cant handle this simple task, yet the 6680 would run reliably and flawlessly for hours!

One thing i am also going to try tomorrow is to format my mmc card in the n70. I wonder if doing this will re arrange the memory so that it doesn't crash? Just thought of this now as i had to format the mmc card in the 6680 first for it to create the "System folder etc. I have simply just swapped it over so far and not formatted it with the n70 Format feature.. Just a thought..

Last edited by mattk1; 22-12-2005 at 10:27 PM.

Old 23-12-2005, 12:33 AM

crazyjlondon is on a distinguished road
Yes the same old problem

I have been moaning to tomtom so much they closed my account all i was doing was asking why i should have to buy full new software as even though i bought tomtom version 4 in the last 6 months just before 5 came out i missed the upgrade as i felt as it worked on my 7610 i did not need to yet at that time ...BUT to my horror i signed on with orange for another year and got my n70 and fell into this trap we are in.....Tom tom say i need to buy full package again version 5.20 and why should i ? i dont want another genuine gps do i ? and even then its not said to be working with POI's enabled for speed cameras. so might as well not have it at all.
Now for my question... who has tested in full POI's and latest firmware for nokian70 like the smart a*s TOMTOM claim to all work?
And has anyone tried formating their memery cards prior to adding software?

Or is there any better speed camera database than pocket gps site gives us thats suited for mobile phones?

I have even tried some dodgy downloaded version of the net it works the same as you lot with these problems,
i have used my map key for the great britain and when i try and update it to 5.20 it says wrong activation even when i got it from TTcode .com.
so back to square one.

Oh i wish i never gave my 7610 away what a muppet !

Old 23-12-2005, 08:26 AM

kevs355 is on a distinguished road
We're too loyal

Just do a few google searches mate, there are plenty of patched v5.20 updates around!!! You especially shouldn't feel guilty for doing so either, you paid for it so you should have officially gotten the upgrade for free!

Anyway, since my previous posting I can confirm by using the 'offline' mode alone still results in a crash from time to time. So, I too will try this PointOfInterest deletion theory and see what results are achieved

Let you guys know soon as...

Now, don't get me wrong I love TomTom like everyone else seems to hear but it's gotta be said, how loyal are we all!?! putting up with all these issues, grrrrrrrrr we should teach them a lesson on move to Route66 which I've heard is the mutts nuts.

Last edited by kevs355; 23-12-2005 at 08:28 AM.

Old 23-12-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk1
"You can also create your own graphic. The restrictions are that it must be 256 colour 8 bit .bmp format file. If it is not then it can cause TomTom Navigator to crash."

So i checked all mine and they are all 8 bit or below, however i am unsure how you check whether they are 256 color or not?

Anyone know how you check that?
I always thought 8 bit and 256 colours were the same thing? BICBW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk1
One thing i am also going to try tomorrow is to format my mmc card in the n70. I wonder if doing this will re arrange the memory so that it doesn't crash? Just thought of this now as i had to format the mmc card in the 6680 first for it to create the "System folder etc. I have simply just swapped it over so far and not formatted it with the n70 Format feature.. Just a thought..
I tried this about a month ago (But with olf N70 Firmware) and it made no difference. Worth a try though if you have the new FW installed.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 23-12-2005, 03:42 PM

bluestar is on a distinguished road
I tried today with POI removed and with POI masked but alerts active. It seems that it works a little bit longer.

What is strange however is that I begin to notice that Tomtom crashes always at the same points/roads.

I was able to reproduce this behavior a few times. It would work ok for half an hour and when I go to a special cross road it crashed, then I can make it work for 5mn go to this special crossroad and it crashes on command !!!!!!

My firmware is 2.0539.1.2 with Tomtom 5.20

Can any of you reproduce this behavior ?

Old 23-12-2005, 05:06 PM

I don’t want to talk too soon, but I seem to have my TomTom running VERY stable now..

I will give a run down of what I have done:

My N70 Is unbranded running V2.0536.0.2, 12-09-05, RM84

TomTom APP 5.2, GPS V1.20, Map V562

BT77 Receiver

First of all, I created a folder on the computer and made a copy of my entire MMC card. Make sure you select “Show Hidden Folders” as the System folder is hidden by default.

Once I had done this, I put my MMC card back in the phone and formatted it using the Format function in the N70 software. Doing this wipes all the data on the card, and creates a new system folder (and various other folders) needed for when you install applications etc.

After I had done that, I put the MMC card back into my computer and from the back up copy I made earlier I copied just the files needed to run TomTom (No Speed camera POI’s yet!).

I then put the card back into my phone, opened up TomTom and did the “Restore Factory Settings” found on page 5 of the preferences menu. This restores all the default settings, so I then took the time to set it up again how I used to have it (my personal preferences).

I then put my MMC card back into the computer and copied over my speed camera POI’s. I noticed one of these is labelled “continental”, meaning mainland Europe, and since I’m unlikely to need this I deleted it. I also copied over just the essential POI’s
which I use for work such as B&Q and Maplin (about 7 in total), and I also added my Post Code file. And finally I added my music folder with my MP3’s in.

So now with everything back on the card which I need, I put it back into my N70. First thing I did then was to go to the “Manage POI” page, selecet “Enable/Disable POI”, and then Uncheck all the POI’s which were checked (I left nothing checked in here). Then I went to enable “Warn when near POI” (with sounds) and “Only on my route” for the speed cameras.

I then exited TomTom and restarted the phone while I set up my GPS receiver on the window ledge. Once the red light was flashing to indicate it had found satellites, I opened up TomTom. I must point out that I did not have bluetooth enabled at this time. So now with TomTom running I went to the “Show GPS Status” page and configured it to connect with my GPS receiver (the phone asks if you want to activate bluetooth now, so select yes). When it had found BT77 I chose it and let the bluetooth establish a connection.

With everything set up and ready to go, I set my usual route to work (approximately 45 minutes) and started the “Show Route Demo”.

Now it did crash once at about 38 minutes in, however it didn’t require a reboot of the phone so for one last attempt at changing anything to do with POI’s, I turned off the “Show POI” setting on page 1 of the preferences menu (key 5 is a shortcut to this).

I was dubious as to whether I should disable that setting because I wanted to still be warned of speed cameras on my route. Fortunately I do still get an alarm warning, which is cool!

So again, I set up the demo running and so far I have not lost a connection once! Even as I type the connection is still going strong! I’m now about 3 hours in (continuous use) and this is the longest time ever without losing it (previous tests would last between 5-20 minutes max).

My theory is that all the bits and bytes of data needed by TomTom are all now placed closely together after formatting and then copying back over in the order that I did.

I really hope this has sorted out this incredibly annoying problem, so I can get back to having a life!

Just out of interest, what brand of MMC card are all the people with problems using? Mine is by Kingston..

Last edited by mattk1; 23-12-2005 at 05:11 PM.

Old 24-12-2005, 11:36 AM

Update: Still going ok..

Old 24-12-2005, 12:40 PM

crazyjlondon is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up POI's seem to be my problem n70 fixed

Just noticed after removing the speed camera data base it works rock solid ....
even took a call and it was fine.

Just for the info it went like this-
removed speed camera database from the memory card
delete old pairings,
reboot phone
switch on gps "mk1" tomtom
switch on tomtom let it pair its self,
and now it seems to work all the time.

Old 26-12-2005, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar
What is strange however is that I begin to notice that Tomtom crashes always at the same points/roads.

I was able to reproduce this behavior a few times. It would work ok for half an hour and when I go to a special cross road it crashed, then I can make it work for 5mn go to this special crossroad and it crashes on command !!!!!!
Hi,

About 6 weeks ago I proposed a theory to explain why TomTom on N70 can run all day if STATIONARY (i.e. sitting still, in your house) until the N70 battery goes flat, but crashes at random intervals if you are driving around the country.

My theory was that when you move from one network sell to another, or when you lose network signal completely, then the N70 spends a lot its CPU time trying to negotiate a new connection to the network.

This led to some people reporting a more stable GPS conneciton with TomTom when the phone is running in OFFLINE mode.

I would be interested to know if the 'special crossroad' where your TT always crashes is in an area of weak network signal, or where there is no reception at all?

Cheers,
Dez

Last edited by dez_borders; 26-12-2005 at 10:34 AM.