All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-03-2006, 09:19 PM

charlieB is on a distinguished road
Playing Movies on the N70

Im New to the nokia N70 and it looks like it's more complicated than I thought. I want to play a movie that i bought on a reduced size MMC from carphone warehouse. When I try to play it i get a message "your phone (10200f9a) is not supported by this player (3.22)". Real Player does not play the file.

Do I need to install software to view this and if so what do you recomend. Very frustraing as Im really keen to see the quality and still havent cracked it.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:21 PM

Airwalker is on a distinguished road
If Real Player won't play it, then you will need to either convert it to a compatible format or install alternative software. What kind of file are you trying to play? (MP4, DivX, Mpeg, etc?)

Old 03-03-2006, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Im not sure what the format is. When I try to explore the disc on XP it looks like the file is empty, but the phone shows the film icon (eg spiderman) so it must have some files. Ive contacted carphone warehouse so im witing for a reply there. Im sure it will all work out, but its very frustrating that the phone is advertised as playing movies but its not as straight forward as they make out.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieB
Thanks for the reply.

Im not sure what the format is. When I try to explore the disc on XP it looks like the file is empty, but the phone shows the film icon (eg spiderman) so it must have some files. Ive contacted carphone warehouse so im witing for a reply there. Im sure it will all work out, but its very frustrating that the phone is advertised as playing movies but its not as straight forward as they make out.
There are DOZENS of file formats for computer 'movies'. The N70 will probably play most flavours of 3GP and MP4. In Windows Explorer you need to go into options and turn on the viewing of all files and folders etc. The file will be there somewhere.....

Found it now? What format was it? Just curious!

Steve

Old 05-03-2006, 09:12 PM

Ive tried every view / list I can, and still cant see the format. Spoke to carphone warehouse and they said the files were tested on the 6680 but it looks like they dont work on the N70 OS. The files cant be changed either as the card has a self contained programme to launch on the 6680.

So it looks like the only way I can get movies is to create them myself. MP4 just wont work. Either I need another player intsalled or I need to find a converter that creates the correct MP4 format (i noticed on another post that there are many slight variations that can cause problems). I can convert to 3GP but the quality is terrible (plays just as well on my 6230i).

Ive ordered a disc with loads of trial versions so I can test them out so lets see what happens - cant wait till I get it cracked!

Old 05-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ive tried every view / list I can, and still cant see the format. Spoke to carphone warehouse and they said the files were tested on the 6680 but it looks like they dont work on the N70 OS. The files cant be changed either as the card has a self contained programme to launch on the 6680.

So it looks like the only way I can get movies is to create them myself. MP4 just wont work. Either I need another player intsalled or I need to find a converter that creates the correct MP4 format (i noticed on another post that there are many slight variations that can cause problems). I can convert to 3GP but the quality is terrible (plays just as well on my 6230i).

Ive ordered a disc with loads of trial versions so I can test them out so lets see what happens - cant wait till I get it cracked!
Does your device play this OK?

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/downl...s-show/ss2.mp4

(I did an MP4 version for the folks at S60.com)

Steve Litchfield

Old 08-03-2006, 09:18 AM

No that file didnt work. I checked out another post "convert MP4 (again)" and Im having no problems after following the advice. If anyone else is having problems trying to convert DVD to MP4 for the N70 I suggest you check that post.

Thanks for your help. now lets see what else it can do!
Ads

Old 08-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
No that file didnt work. I checked out another post "convert MP4 (again)" and Im having no problems after following the advice. If anyone else is having problems trying to convert DVD to MP4 for the N70 I suggest you check that post.

Thanks for your help. now lets see what else it can do!
Hmmm.... there's something wrong with your N70 setup then. That file worked fine with other N70s. And there's the fact that you couldn't play the shop video either.

Must be something you've installed. Might be worth doing a complete backup, then wipe the phone's internal disk and try playing the videos again? That would prove a point, one way or the other.....

Steve Litchfield

Old 08-03-2006, 10:56 AM

I couldnt get the file to play on the PC suite software either? The file from the shop was a red herring as it turns out it was never tested on the N70 and they have now confirmed the updated OS doesnt support it (looks good on the 6680 though). As for installing other software I wouldn't know how. Havent got that far yet. Everything works now so I'll leave it at that. Thansk again