All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-06-2007, 03:21 AM

imdaShiy is on a distinguished road
N95 GPS - driving me nuts!

Hi everybody,

So I live in California here in the States and got an N95 back in April off on eBay. The GPS was shoddy, it used to take maybe 2 minutes to get a fix on the satellites, but now for some reason it barely works at all. I've tried it maybe 20 times in an open area with no clouds or tall buildings, and couldn't get a fix even if I leave it there untouched (with keypad open) for a full 10 minutes.

Last week I bought another N95 from eBay for my gf. Her GPS works INSTANTLY, we were walking to dinner when she tried it for the first time, got a fix in maybe 10 seconds. Subsequent connection to satellite takes only 2-5 seconds.

Does anybody know what could be wrong? Are some units having better GPS, and the earlier units worse? Thanks for your help!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:56 AM

Keydogg is on a distinguished road
Tbh you could be right. I have heard loads of people on here saying their GPS takes minutes to lock on, but mine does it almost straight away every time. DO you have the same firmware as each other?
Ads

Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Ugrade your firmware ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaShiy View Post
Hi everybody,

So I live in California here in the States and got an N95 back in April off on eBay. The GPS was shoddy, it used to take maybe 2 minutes to get a fix on the satellites, but now for some reason it barely works at all. I've tried it maybe 20 times in an open area with no clouds or tall buildings, and couldn't get a fix even if I leave it there untouched (with keypad open) for a full 10 minutes.

Last week I bought another N95 from eBay for my gf. Her GPS works INSTANTLY, we were walking to dinner when she tried it for the first time, got a fix in maybe 10 seconds. Subsequent connection to satellite takes only 2-5 seconds.

Does anybody know what could be wrong? Are some units having better GPS, and the earlier units worse? Thanks for your help!
Thats almost certainly the issue here.

This is my YouTube vid .. text explanation with all the links for software etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9eRlddfH0

record your current product code.
I'm now recommending a full reset BEFORE doing the upgrade.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Thanks, and yes I do have the newest firmware. It is V 11.0.026 from 17-04-07. I think I will send it in for a replacement, if anybody experiences this issue feel free to share. Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 PM

cinghialino is on a distinguished road
nice and interesting, please keep us informed!
mine take about 3-4 mins to get a fix, in open space. so annoying.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:31 PM

jwball is on a distinguished road
Mine is exactly the same.

Used to lock pretty quickly and now can't get a lock at all. Can see six satellites on the sat info screen though.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwball View Post
Mine is exactly the same.

Used to lock pretty quickly and now can't get a lock at all. Can see six satellites on the sat info screen though.
Yeah, that's the problem here too. I can see the satellites, just can't get a fix on them. I remember the bars used to shift left/right a bit when connecting, but now they don't move at all. Most of the time, it will see two or three satellites, and then next thing, no satellite information found!

I will be sending in my phone today, hopefully get it back soon and report and what happens.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:06 PM

raid517 is on a distinguished road
I had the same issue too, both before and after the update.

I didn't resolve it until I bought a Holux 32 Channel Bluetooth receiver - which is useful since it means I can use TomTom, Copilot, Route 66 and the native Maps software too.

I do think that some of the GPS chips that were used in the N95 are possibly defective - since there are too many reports of people saying that it works great (even in cities with tall buildings) and others who (like me) have found that it can take upwards of 9+ minutes to get a lock - and even then this is only possible under very specific conditions. (You have to be in a very out in the open place).

Still the Holux receiver is excellent - far better than the native GPS receiver - so I guess if you're serious about GPS, that is probably the way to go.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:08 AM

stanjeff is on a distinguished road
Handy rss

Hi
I purchased Handy RSS and have problem setting it up on my N95 8gb to receive news feeds from google and other news agencies like Reuters etc. I need to put in the channels but I do not know what channel to put in. Can you help me to set up my HANDY RSS on my N95 8GB by giving me info on setting up Handy rss on my phone

Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
Try resetting the GPS module. You can do that by removing the battery overnight.