All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Mo_jawad is on a distinguished road
cant play wmv

I got this just under a week ago. i uploaded onto it a wmv but it only seems to be able to play the sound to the clip with a blank screen. i get this message, 'unable to play sound or video clip. trying to play partialy.' has anyone else had this problem? any solutions?

Mojo

Old 30-05-2009, 08:21 PM

Hassan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_jawad View Post
I got this just under a week ago. i uploaded onto it a wmv but it only seems to be able to play the sound to the clip with a blank screen. i get this message, 'unable to play sound or video clip. trying to play partialy.' has anyone else had this problem? any solutions?

Mojo
S60 devices are not vary good when it comes to wmv files, batter convert them to MP4 or avi.

You can use H.264/AVC as codes that will give you a really good quality video.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 AM

Mo_jawad is on a distinguished road
Thank you Hassan but one of the reasons why i purchased this phone was for this function. I assume it is a software issue, is it likely to improve with firmware updates? Are there any applications i can download that play wmv's better?

where can i get software that convert wmv's to mp4 or avi? and what is H.264/AVC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan View Post
S60 devices are not vary good when it comes to wmv files, batter convert them to MP4 or avi.

You can use H.264/AVC as codes that will give you a really good quality video.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_jawad View Post
Thank you Hassan but one of the reasons why i purchased this phone was for this function. I assume it is a software issue, is it likely to improve with firmware updates? Are there any applications i can download that play wmv's better?

where can i get software that convert wmv's to mp4 or avi? and what is H.264/AVC?
No pro you wellcome, I don't really think its a firmware issue because as far as am aware S60 devices only support WMV up to QVGA not sure about frame rate and bit rate. Although i8910 hardware can support higher resolution. Its OS limitation.

Coreplayer support WMV too but i dont think its good either and also it doesn't support S60 V5 devices. They are going to launch there there new version of player later this year which will support S60 V5 devices. I can only hope that will support high resolution WMV videos.

I also have Touch Diamond 2 which has Micro$oft Media player which suport WMV and even that struggle to play high quality WM videos.

High resolution WMV never been choice of format on mobile devices.

You can download SUPER which is free and does a good job.

If you have fast core2duo machine you can also try Media Coder best to convert video files in to H.264/AVC. I love it.

If you need any more help feel free to ask, as i had spend lot of time to try different ways to convert videos since P800 days.

I've just looked at Nokia Doveloper forum to find what video codes and format are supported by OS, here is a little chart.

Regards

Hassan

Last edited by Hassan; 08-06-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Old 21-07-2009, 04:26 PM

Charles@Kinoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Coreplayer support WMV too but i dont think its good either and also it doesn't support S60 V5 devices.
Also, we're bringing Kinoma Play to Symbian/60. It's getting close, and looking great.

-- Charles Wiltgen

Old 21-07-2009, 07:29 PM

That is really a good news, i'll buy it as sson as its out. How soon do you think?

Maybe before winter? Cheers

Old 21-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Charles@Kinoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How soon do you think? Maybe before winter?
Yes!

-- Charles Wiltgen

Old 21-07-2009, 11:09 PM

capitaine is on a distinguished road
I disagree with the above - generally, you should have no problems playing wmv. Some will exhibit that issue but most should be ok. This has been my experience.

Old 14-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Johnbear is on a distinguished road
Agree with the conclusions above.

-