All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 20-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Spotify shows Nokia how to do innovative music smartphones

Spotify, the music consumption service, has made another move into the mobile space. Following on from their iPhone app (and tantalising hint they are working on a Symbian version) their next move outflanks Nokia and their plans for music yet again. The launch of a monthly tariff and handset (HTC Hero), which has Spotify bundled, is going to be attractive to music lovers – not because it's better than Nokia's Comes With Music, but because it is more loved online, so the passionate users will do the evangelising.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 20-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

Shouldn't they be available in more countries before thinking to compete with other existing realities?

Old 20-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Unregistered

Well, I like Spotify too and use the free version on my desktop. But until they release the S60 client (which we saw more than a month ago apparently working) I won't be subscribing anytime soon.

Old 20-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Smile Ewan :-)

Ha, I knew as soon as I read the Formula 1 reference that this would be one of Ewan's articles :-)

Anyhow, you're right. So far as I can tell, CwM could be really good but for whatever reason it seems to be missing the boat. It's definitely limited by the fact you need to buy it with a device right now, and perhaps the licensing makes it impossible to make an add-on rolling monthly service. You would also want to make some special efforts on the client front, but I should think that almost all S60 devices (at least) should be able to match the spotify experience. The Ovi store and Nokia Music provide a nice place to distribute a client app from, so the essential bits are largely there if Nokia wishes to join the dots.

Where Spotify falls down in my experience is with recommendations and getting a good stream of music you like without user intervention, but it integrates at least partly with Last.FM so I expect that to improve over time.

Old 20-10-2009, 05:43 PM
The Alliterator

I've tried to enjoy music played back through little speakers in my ears, but I'm not hooked. For some reason it feels like a very sterile and clinical way to listen.

I don't know if it is the digital processing used to compress to MP3, or the fact that the sound goes direct to ear drum.

If I listen to CDs in the car I get right into it. Live music is the best of all, and for music in the home I like the big cones. For me the music needs to have a physical element, and I need to feel the bass through my body. Sitting in your own world cut off from other people just doesn't seem to do it.

So, despite having more than one player and amassing a fine collection of DRM/non-DRM music, I just don't bother anymore.

I am also a 25 year live performing guitarist, but I don't see why that should make any difference. How do people feel about MP3 direct to eardrum? I am very curious to know how much enjoyment others get.

Old 21-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Unregistered

Nokia Streaming

I don't get what the big deal about Spotify is. Nokia, and various other guys, have offered unlimited streaming for years, so this is nothing new.

Old 21-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Lutin

@Unregistered

You don't get how revolutionary a free service which lets you listen to millions of tracks is? Um...

The premium service itself isn't necessarily revolutionary, the way they got to market certainly is.

Also, with Spotify, you can cache any song you want for playback offline, up to 3,333 songs, so you don't even need to have a connection to use spotify.