All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-11-2009, 03:30 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
My N97 experience - not all bad.

When I first received my N97 at the end of June with its v10 firmware it was truly awful!

I actually went through 3 handsets in 10 days.

I experienced freezing, crashing, incorrect ringtones, slow GPS and "Out of Memory" issues constantly. I was forced, because of the low C: drive, to install widgets, themes and as many app's as possible to Mass Memory, which in turn led to problems of their own when connecting to PC Suite in anything other than PC Suite mode. I could not even install some of Nokia's own app's as they would take up the precious C: drive.

It took me quite awhile to adjust the Destinations settings, using trial and error, so that I used my home wifi and 3G whilst out.

Then, about two or three weeks later, v11 was released on Vodafone and I upgraded the firmware, using PC Suite, with no problem and was quite pleased that I did not have to reinstall everything from scratch. The only change that I noticed with v11 was that my widgets worked a little better and that my thumbnails loaded quicker. However, the phone still gave me "Out of Memory" errors, crashed and was sluggish and unresponsive to touch, sometimes requiring 3/4 taps to get it working.

Like the majority of N97 owners, I was not a happy bunny and felt ripped off when I compared the N97 to my N95 and N95 8GB. I was thoroughly cheesed off with having to go through manually clearing the browser cache every day, not being able to have theme effects on or use anything except the built in themes for fear of crashing. Also the GPS was still taking far too long to get a mediocre lock.

Then around the end of August it was announced that v12 would be launched to address some of these problems and I eagerly awaited its coming. As with all the N97 firmware releases, the Continent version was released first, this was then to be followed by the UK CV (Country Variant) at some time in the future and finally the operator branded version even later still.

It was at this point that my frustration with the N97 got the better of me and I took the decision to change the product code to the Euro one and risk voiding my warranty to get v12 that much quicker. I did this using Nemesis Service Suite and Nokia Software Updater and all went surprisingly smoothly and I was able to obtain the v12 firmware weeks ahead of Vodafone's release.

The v12 firmware did bring about some minor changes but not enough to stop my handset from crashing, freezing, every now and then. I still found the phone to be sluggish and unresponsive. I was still having to spend a lot of time "nursing" it by Clearing C: drive, which was hovering around 15MB and watch my RAM usage at around 10Mb. I still could not use anything other than the built-in theme with no effects for fear of overloading the pitiful RAM.
I was also using the beta Nokia Photo Browser as this seemed to display quicker and better than the Gallery. Also, album art was a bit hit and miss although my crashes and freezes were less. To say that I was disappointed at this stage would be an understatement. I felt thoroughly cheated by Nokia who, it seemed to me, had rushed out the N97 with immature firmware just to compete with the iPhone 3GS.

I had experienced poor RAM before, with the N95, but this had been rectified to a large extent, by a firmware update. I thought about the millions of people worldwide who had purchased the N97 and had not, or could not, update the firmware and were cursing Nokia and the N97.

It would seem that Nokia had not learnt from Apple iPhone's original launch when they promised the earth and ended up refunding early adopters after pressure was brought to bear. I also despised Nokia's head in the sand approach to the lens scratching fiasco that, luckily, I have not suffered from.

By this time I was seriously considering getting rid of my N97 and moving on. It was becoming a full time job to ensure that there was enough RAM and C: drive. I was constantly having to make tradeoffs about installing certain app's and although my GPS had improved it wasn't great. I was also cheesed off using the scroll bar to go through lists and got frustrated with it on Contacts and Music, usually ending up using the Nav pad. The touch screen was still a joke with me having to constantly tap to try and get it to work.

Enough was enough!

I'd spent over a quarter of a year trying to come to terms with what was supposed to be a Nokia flagship phone costing 500 that just did not deliver.

And then I saw a preview of v20 with its kinetic scrolling and RAM and C: usage enhancements and thought I'd give the N97 one last chance.
After all, I stood to lose about half the phones cost if I tried to sell it on.

Like most of you, I waited with baited breath for the will they, won't they, release of v20.

Then, finally, it became available for my, now, unbranded Euro firmware and I jumped on it immediately.

That's where I made my first mistake, as I downloaded v20 straight away using NSU and immediately started to get freezes, crashes and rebooting. Photo's were slow and the Music library was a nightmare.

The penny then dropped, as they say, and I realised from my experiences with the N95 and N95 8GB, that with a firmware upgrade of this magnitude it was bound to cause problems if I either just upgraded or reinstalled from PC Suite backup.

I then proceeded to format both the phone and Mass Memory and reinstall everthing from scratch. Not an easy or short task I might add.

It was worth it though!

I had nearly 60MB free on C: drive, before installing themes, app's and widgets. My RAM was now 40+MB after boot up and rarely goes below 20MB.
Kinetic scrolling is a joy to use. The phone is no longer sluggish. The touch screen is very responsive. I ditched Nokia Photo Browser beta as the in-built photo's prog offered so much more. The music library is a lot better. Particularly with album art. Boot up time is quicker. Widgets are more stable, although Accuweather seem to have dropped "Current Location". My GPS achieves a more accurate, and quicker, lock than before. I experience a lot less lags. The built-in browser is a lot quicker, I can hold down a key in QWERTY to get a symbol. The speakers even sound better!

Also there was a lot of tinkering and tweaking of settings as this can make a big difference to the way the phone funtions, as we can see by the forum postings.

IMHO this was the N97 I thought I was getting in June. This is the N97 that Nokia should, and could, have released and I cannot excuse them for palming off inferior firmware.

OK, it's not perfect, but as Julia Roberts says in Pretty Woman... "it has potential".

Am I going to ditch it? The answer is no!

Because I think that v20 has gone a long way to solving a lot of the things that bugged me. It shows me what this phone is capable of. It can multi task. It can run prog's without crashing.

Some of us wax lyrical about the N95 but I remember all the complaints about the lack of RAM and it's slowness, poor camera and video. until it received it's v20 upgrade which changed the phone completely and actually put it ahead of the N95 8GB with its restricted Mass Memory.

Perhaps smart phones are becoming too smart.
We get them and fire them up, sometimes ignoring the manuals, and then shove loads of third party software on them without a thought or adjustment to settings and expect them to work perfectly. I know from my own experience that I've had to uninstall software from a handset because of conflicts or poor programming.

I know that there are delays with the release of firmware updates between the Continent, CV and operator branded handsets but this is not all down to Nokia but rather to getting country approvals and operator "adjustments".

I must stress that these are my opinions based on my usage, app's and phone model.

I understand I may come in for a lot of flak for this and I am certainly no technical genius. I'm just trying to relate my everyday experience and frustration with the N97.

As my dear old mum used to say... "Speak as you find" and I'm finding this phone a lot better than it was.

(re-posted after unexplained deletion)

Old 11-11-2009, 04:36 PM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Great ..... thanks for re-posting this Ian

Has anyone else noticed significant improvements in their N97 V20 ?

The only thing i can add to Ians thread is that it's now extremely easy to answer calls when the phone is locked - no more swiping and re swiping and swiping again with a bit of swearing involved, one straight swipe and you're in.

If there's a teeny weeny chance that this thread can remain positive about the aspects of V20 that would be really nice

Old 11-11-2009, 06:20 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
I'm not going to post a negative comment, I'm still on V12 but, if my post to Voda's CEO does not get the response I want and I'm forced to rebrand, can you please post the specific product code you rebranded to. Thanks.

Regards
Neil

Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbriscoeuk View Post
I'm not going to post a negative comment, I'm still on V12 but, if my post to Voda's CEO does not get the response I want and I'm forced to rebrand, can you please post the specific product code you rebranded to. Thanks.

Regards
Neil
Check out my signature at the end of my post.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
One tends to tune .sigs out - so I'm glad I asked. I had noted down a code that someone posted on the Voda forum and they had transposed the 1 and 8 in the code. Goodness knows what would have happened if I'd have used that code earlier today.

Thanks for the comment Ian.

Regards
Neil

Old 17-11-2009, 07:08 PM

mango052 is on a distinguished road
Better now

Hi there everybody
I got my Swisscom branded N97 in July with V11 on it. I experienced all the frustrations and problems like everybody else.
I was (and still am) especially mad at the terrible GPS performance which made Nokia maps practially useless.
After I received it back from repair in September, GPS performed a bit better but still not usable. When V20 came out, of course, I could not get it to download as the branded version is even today still not out from Swisscom. I wrote to Nokia support and got the reply, that I should bring it to a Nokia service point, which I did. They unbranded the N97 and installed V20. Since then, I am 95% happy with it.
It performs as I expected from the beginning, even Music and Messaging works fine now.
However, Navigation is still not up to standard: map following is jerky and not as smooth as on my 3-year old HTC with TomTom on it. They just can't do navigation at Nokia and I would never pay for such a lousy application.
Meanwhile I still have scratches on the camera lens and will have to bring it back once again to the Nokia Service point.

All-in-all not an experienc I want to repeat. From a company like Nokia, and for the "flagship" device, I just expect better.

Old 18-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Berty is on a distinguished road
i don't ask too much, but it would be nice if I could switch my phone off and on again without it freezing on the Nokia screen. Hard resetted 6 times or so in the past week.

Need to find a good brick wall.

Old 18-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
i don't ask too much, but it would be nice if I could switch my phone off and on again without it freezing on the Nokia screen. Hard resetted 6 times or so in the past week.

Need to find a good brick wall.
IMHO I would suggest that it's probably an app or setting doing this.

Might I suggest formatting the Mass Memory and hard resetting the phone and only load Contacts, Messages, Notes, Calendar and Bookmarks from Nokia PC Suite backup. Not settings.

See how the phone starts after this. If all OK then start reloading everything piecemeal from your PC Music library and pictures gallery. If everything still OK then move on to app's one by one.

You may find that one particular app or setting could be causing your problem or you may find that, because of the piecemeal reinstall, everything works fine.

Old 18-11-2009, 08:09 PM

I appreciate your comments. However this softly softly approach to get a 500 devise working properly is unaceptable.

I love searching and loading apps, but now nearly on a bare bones devise just so it'll switch on when it needs resetting.

A big fail from Nokia and another long term customer looking elsewhere for a smart gadget that will do what it's meant to do.

Looking into an Iphone or N900 at the moment.

Old 18-11-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
I appreciate your comments. However this softly softly approach to get a 500 devise working properly is unaceptable.

I love searching and loading apps, but now nearly on a bare bones devise just so it'll switch on when it needs resetting.

A big fail from Nokia and another long term customer looking elsewhere for a smart gadget that will do what it's meant to do.

Looking into an Iphone or N900 at the moment.
Try looking at it another way.... you really wouldn't expect to copy over the entire contents, settings and all, from a Windows '95 PC to one running Windows 7 and not expect a hiccup.

I too experienced some of the issues, as I mentioned in my posting, that you are getting and it was only when I did a piecemeal restore that I found how much more RAM and C: drive I had as well as it not freezing or crashing.

The choice, as they say, is yours!

Old 18-11-2009, 09:04 PM

Don't get me wrong RAM and C: space is fine, both around 40ish most the time. I have Quick Office and Maps Beta installed on C hence the taken space.

All I want is not crap myself everytime I restart the phone. When it's working it's great. Typing this message from my devise as a matter of fact.

I think/hope I've nailed the rouge app that's caused the problems so hopefully things will be better now with no more hard resets which are a real chore, but can now restore back to normal in about an hour I've had so much practice.

We'll see how it handles over the next few days as I can't really afford a new phone, but I'm real fussy when it comes to my cars and my phones. They must be perfect.

Old 18-11-2009, 09:16 PM

My bet would be that if it's not a rogue app, then I would be looking to see if it was settings transferred from previous version and restored to v20.

That's what can cause a lot of problems.