All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 24-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I now have an iPhone 3gs. It has a few problems, true, but it's got 32gigs of storage, just like the N97. I never have to second-guess what that storage is doing. It immediately connected to my university's wifi system: username, password, and boom. Connected. It has a marvelous touchscreen. Sure, there are issues and relatively minor annoyances, and it would be nice to have an FM transmitter/receiver, but what makes the difference? content.

The iPhone's hardware, you see, is just the tip of an iceberg. Nokia needs to wake up - its absurdly bad Ovi store is not just a revenue-stream failure, it represents the failure of an entire paradigm. The iPhone delivers cheap, good, well-programmed CONTENT. It's not just a phone, but a content-engine. Nokia hasn't just missed the boat or the fleet; it's missed the entire continent of content that the iPhone delivers.

So live and learn: no more Nokia, at least for a long while. Thanks; it's been awesome - well - up to that last thing; you know, the one that was stupidly expensive and, in the end, kinda sucked.

-Richard.
I have an iPhone also and I am slowly getting more and more annoyed with this one app at a time thing. Imagine you are doing something in an app, and you have spent time setting up where you are, or perhaps you are midway through a game. Then a text arrives and a transparent window pops up offering you the chance to reply. You accept the reply option and bang! The app and everything you had been doing is back to square one. You have to restart it! Same thing happens when you start an app and the app needs an option switched on so you accept, it then starts up the Settings App, closing down your original app. That's just so crap. It's not necessary to offer full multi-tasking, just persistence of state would do.

As for Ovi store being a "revenue stream failure" where did you hear that? I understand that it is doing fine. As for content on the app store, yes there are some gems but it's 90% dross. Countless times I've tried a download and immediately removed it. For example, Hands Heater? Fart Piano? It's also full of repetition.

There are also a list of problems and issues with the iPhone that are more than minor annoyances.

However, cannot disagree about the N97, it doesn't meet the expectations of its price bracket, I have no idea why so many people still went ahead and bought one!

Old 24-02-2010, 02:44 PM

symbianst3ph3n is on a distinguished road
phone quality shud be tested. Anyway it was early before anyone discovered the bad gps and scratched lens...i cant return it cos its on contract and it takes money to cancel it.....

Old 24-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbianst3ph3n View Post
phone quality shud be tested. Anyway it was early before anyone discovered the bad gps and scratched lens...i cant return it cos its on contract and it takes money to cancel it.....
Nokia are fixing the lens cover and the bad batch of GPS for free.

Old 24-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Unregistered

Lessons learnt

Yeah there's been lessons learnt but it's all been at the expence of the user. £499.99 for an underpowered device with an OS full of freaking bugs it's been 7 months of pure hell and that statement could have opened up a can of worms for the company.
As much as I like to hear them admit that this first half of the N97's life has been a failure "a little too late from my point of view next phone will be android based" this might just bring on a few lawsuits.

Old 24-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As for Ovi store being a "revenue stream failure" where did you hear that? I understand that it is doing fine. As for content on the app store, yes there are some gems but it's 90% dross. Countless times I've tried a download and immediately removed it. For example, Hands Heater? Fart Piano? It's also full of repetition.
I believe the previous poster, when referring to content, wasn't so much talking about the app store, as he was the iTunes store: the latest feature films, TV shows (entire season pass), music, etc. etc.

In that respect, yes, the iPod/iPhone has one of the world's best content store's anywhere. They're the second largest seller of music in North America.

When you type in 'movies' in the Ovi store, the only thing you get is a couple of movie trailers. That's pretty weak IMO.

Microsoft's Zune Marketplace (another walled garden like iTunes) and Amazon are also pretty great places to get content.

Old 25-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Poor show Nokia

Its nice to know that Nokia have learnt from it's mistakes - at my expense! I have lost countless hours performing hard/soft resets on this phone due to "white screen of death". The phone has been replaced 3 times and I still HATE it. It took me 3 hours just to turn the damn thing on the other day! Not good when I spend over £60 per month for it! Last ever Nokia I will buy I have to say. It would be interesting to see if Nokia will compensate us early adopters of this "flagship" device for the constant performance issues. I have invested a lot of time and money into this, frankly, useless device.

Poor show Nokia.

Old 25-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

nooo nokia

i got n97 in last dec this is my first smart phone and i had many nokia phones very thrilled about my first touch phone and when i got and compared with ohter phones just only one thing got in my mind nokia fffuuuuked me definetly

these are the things that i felt bad

the touch screen interface is utterly bad [every time i tried to keypad] offcource i was little relieved with the update but where is the multi touch and all apps looks like other nokia low end phones

processor and ram noo no we should not talk about it [ now this is old story]

and the famous multi task every time i do multi task my phone hanged me everytime

screen utterly useless very smmaal and resolution is at low end i dont know about iphone specs but videos on iphone very smooth

ooh how could i forget free gps is this only makes a phoe supper great oh god

every app that come with nokia phone are same atleast all 5530 ,5580 some scratch phones all have same kind of user interface and gives same kind of felling and the ovi store how many apps are there i tried to download some content but really i got supriced i have seen all aPPS IN merely 2-3 mints are they enough for n97
this is why nokia failing in high end phones apple, google [atleast android based platforms] going to overtake nokia in smartphones and may be nokia will be in business for low end phone or under 20-30$ phone

nokia says n97 is flagship and high end phone common nokia u may cheat people like me once , twice but not any more i got 1100, 3100, 6600 7610, n73 and now n97 and n97 and n97 is going to my last phone i promise nokia

Old 26-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Group51 is on a distinguished road
They needed to do this. Admission of guilt is a pre-requisite to being given a second chance. Symbian ^3 better be amazing. No one remembers the disaster (perforamce wise) of iPhone OS 2.0 for a good reason.

Old 26-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Its interesting to see a range of reaction.. I do understand that some people feel they will never buy a Nokia device agin... but the idea that one device can put all people off is frankly ridiculous. Yes geeks will be more impacted, but as a proportion this is very very small. The N97 issues are much smaller than say a battery recall (as has happened a few times)...

That's not to say I don't think the N97 damaged Nokia, but I really don't see it as a long term issue (assuming it doesn't happen again). I know it drives people up the wall personally but it is a matter of perspective... You can find these examples everywhere in consumers retail and especially in mobile...

Old 27-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation

n97 design itself is crappy apart from feauters smart phones demand good screen size and good interface i dont know who made the mistake either from symbian or nokia made n97 look like an ordinary phone just little improvemnet over previous models same kinda userinterface for flagship model at the same time both apple and google came with superb feauters which made n97 lokk like utter

buyers are freightend to muy one more crappy phone from nokia when they can have better phones in market thats why nokia lost its smartphone market to others

Old 28-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Unregistered

Although they've admitted that they made a mistake with the N97, they haven't exactly learnt anything from it.

The rather awful and expensive X6 is in the same boat as the N97 is/was, with the same outdated hardware, and the same cumbersome OS. If you compare both the N97 and X6 with other expensive smartphones, their hardware pales in comparison. The worst part about it is, that most people will have entered lengthy contracts, unable to replace their phone if they're unhappy about it. I honestly don't know how Nokia expected the hardware of both phones to last for two years, whilst competing with all the newest handsets.

I had my N97 for about 6 months, in which time I had to a) get the whole phone replaced because the vibrate didn't work and b) get the screen replaced because the resistive layer didn't work properly. I've finally sold it, and to be honest, I'm really glad it's out of my life.

I have a funny feeling Android will be the OS of choice for a lot of the unhappy S60 users, including myself.

Old 26-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Unregistered

I would say the N96 suffered a similar fate to the N97 and others discussed here - poor hardware specs, making it horribly slow and at times, completely unusable. It often locks up or resets for no apparent reason. Dealing with customer service is something to dread and avoid, because that experience is almost worse than trying to use the handset.

I have been a Nokia customer continuously for over 10 years across multiple carriers and contracts, but the experience has been so terrible with this device, I can't say I'm even mildly keen to get another one. These were meant to be flagship devices, but just ended up being shipwrecks. They need to look at the success of (admittedly older) handsets like the 6310i that did everything you needed a phone to do (at that point in time), did it extremely well and fast. Everyone I know had one, and the large corporate I was working at at the time bought them almost exclusively. I could get by with charging the battery once a week or so, even with heavy use. I have to charge the N96 every single night without fail - with light use - otherwise it's dead by 10am the next day. If I use any single "advanced" feature like wifi, video and music playback, web browsing, camera, or gaming for no more than an hour, the battery is dead within three.

What is Mr Vanjoki going to do for _me_ (and others in my position) that have been so burnt by Nokia and their "flagship smartphone" devices that fail to live up to even mild expectations, let alone Nokia's bollocks advertising who-ha that goes with them?

Old 22-04-2010, 04:05 PM
pretty happy

Bang per buck

I only recently got my Nokia N97 for EUR 350 and I must say it is the best purchase I've made. The iPhone barely stands in competition, half of the price you pay there is for "looking slick" (when in fact I find it quite bulky). I guess it is all in how much you pay for what you get.

I am really looking forward to Nokia releasing their new model next year, right now (especially with the below estimate Q1 figures they released today) they feel like a wounded animal and will come with something pretty special to regain their stance.

Old 15-12-2010, 03:10 PM

jackiboa is on a distinguished road
I think people should be realistic

I think people should be realistic though. For example it is a new platfrom and updates will be needed - the difference is the technology and processes will be in place to provide them. And remember S^3 is a step on the road to S^4. A bit of common sense about how big companies operate is also necessary...
Online Degrees associate degree Postgraduate Degree