All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia's N8 overview video (part 2) examined in detail

As part of its promotional activities for the N8, Nokia is releasing a series of overview videos presented by Chris Bennetts, a Senior Product Manager at the company. The second video cover the Photos, Photo Editor and Videos Editor application as well as USB On-The-Go functionality; rather than just linking to it or embedding it, we've broken this video down in detail to offer you some insight into the N8's photo and video software. Read on for further details.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Great!

Nice to see on-phone editing returning .. remember it was included in the original N95 firmware .. but disappeared from subsequent updates.

It took a while but nice to see it making a return.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
The Nokia N8 is an amazing phone and I am sure it will deliver but seriously, could they have found a less charismatic bloke to present these clips. He is sooooo boring!

Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

and with all these lovely divx and xvid files I have on mass storage are useless when plugged into the n8 What a crying shame.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM

tenoce is on a distinguished road
According to Blog-N8.fr, a French Nokia representative confirmed that the N8 would be able to natively play DivX encoded videos, along with the H.264, MPEG4 and other formats mentioned at the handset’s official launch.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Unregistered

Regarding DivX

Regarding DivX...relax, I am sure that Coreplayer or something similar will soon appear for the likes of the N8.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Unregistered

Cool Nokia marketing prowess

This marketing dorkiness is Nokia inertia, rather than a thoughtful decision by Nokia to avoid fighting by Apple's new rules. Pity. So what does Steve Jobs vs 'a Nokia product manager' tell us?

Thinking broadly, I suppose in one corner you've got Apple's reality distortion field - powered by (1) its genuinely excellent product designs, user i/f etc (2) beneficial US culture/loyal fan culture hybrid, (3) Steve Jobs charisma (odd really cos he isn't all that charismatic) and (4) massive app developer industry (but its software isn't perfect - itunes software needs work).

In the other corner is Nokia (1) a genuine corp - not a one man show but a damaged brand (2) producing phones that almost always seem to miss at least one trick, (3) user experiences that are kind of clunky with journeyman touchscreen experiences (3) with about 5 applications (it looks like it may be worse for symbian^3 and Nokia's own software cock-ups litter the battlefield - it needs some really tough management there)..

But (4) Nokia does however have really good upcoming product hardware in the N8.

So I'd say contrasting the Apple videos with N8 videos just about sums things up. Nice phone, shame about everything else.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Unregistered

> According to Blog-N8.fr, a French Nokia representative confirmed that the N8 would be able to natively play DivX encoded videos, along with the H.264, MPEG4 and other formats mentioned at the handset’s official launch.

Nope, that was updated - Nokia France officially said N8 won't play DivX. HOWEVER, a couple of people around the web have said that the early N8's they used were able to play DivX so it's somewhat up in the air.

NOKIA - PLEASE include DivX/Xvid playback capability. There are a LOT of people that want this very badly (proof can be found in comments on N8 blog posts all over the web). And it needs to cope with .avi containers. Will be a real shame if such a capable device as the N8 cannot be used as a media player to playback the most used non-streaming video format in use today.

Having to convert DivX videos to another format is NOT acceptable, it's a big hassle, and requires time and a PC, and means media can't be just played (or copied then played) off a USB stick etc.

> Regarding DivX...relax, I am sure that Coreplayer or something similar will soon appear for the likes of the N8.

The coreplayer team seem to have given up - they have failed for some time to support S60 5th ed. Shame as coreplayer is really capable on earlier S60 devices.

AAS - are you able to get official confirmation of DivX capability? (playback, but recording too would be a major bonus!)

Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 AM

jfanning is on a distinguished road
DivX?!!?

Who on earth uses Divx any more? Everything I get is MKV container with h.264 and AC3 audio and that is a piece of cake to transcode to a native mpeg container.

So, drop Divx and move to something more standard, everyone else has. Even my LG TV can play MKV now.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:09 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I really like the editing capabilities. Although I would be really interested to know as well if the N8 will support the UPnP capability that was introduced in the 1st S60v3 phones. This feature was dropped in later Symbian phones and though not used by many, was still a useful feature when combined with a compatible router.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This marketing dorkiness is Nokia inertia, rather than a thoughtful decision by Nokia to avoid fighting by Apple's new rules. Pity. So what does Steve Jobs vs 'a Nokia product manager' tell us?

With nokia it's about the phone, with Apple it's all about Steve Jobs and his ego.

It was a video about the N8, not the guy presenting. I didn't even notice the presenter, and that's the way it should be as far as I'm concerned. If I see a video with Steve Jobs in it I just don't even bother watching. I do own an iPhone but I don't subscribe to being a sucker fan of a corporation, especially now that Apple have supplanted Microsoft and taken over as evil corp that represents everything bad about business.
Ads

Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 AM

bheetebrij is on a distinguished road
Video editing looks cool...

@aas I like your analysis of these videos. Keep it coming!

An idea: After Apple presenting iMovie for the iPhone, I'd love to see a head to head between the N8's capabilities in this field and iMovie for iPhone.

In terms of the N8, I think no one doubts its capabilities in terms of pictures and videos. I think the videos also show that the OS is quite responsive even when trying the edit together a video with up to 6 media items.

However, I think the thing that continues to worry me with Nokia's phones is the third party apps. For instance, the world cup now comes up and the iPhone has plenty of decent apps to follow the event. The best Symbian has is the AP app and it is so slow that it is basically unusable. I don't know whether it is a poorly programmed app or whether WRT is not up to the job yet. In any case, if Nokia wants me to seriously consider the N8, they'll have to show that the N8 will do better with these things.

As a side not, to what extend are you buying into a "dead-end" with Symbian 3? Supposedly, Symbian 4 is just around the corner and represents a platform break. I bought an N900 last December, but have already sold it as I feel Nokia has not given it the support it deserves (given its capabilities and price). Will the same happen with Nokia N8?

Unless I get good answers to these questions, I am afraid my next phone won't be a Nokia :-(

Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Nörde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
Unless I get good answers to these questions, I am afraid my next phone won't be a Nokia :-(
You should ask Nokia, this site is not and shouldn't be any official source for technical information. Additionally at least I couldn't care less what your next phone is or isn't.

Unofficially and what can be seen from videos etc. N8 is going to improve a lot in every area of previous Symbian phones.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Gabeuk is on a distinguished road
Is the N8 the new 5800?

I know N8 is pitched as mid-to-high-end, but isn't it likely to be the new 5800 ?

Get the price down a bit and why not? The hardware looks designed for that market.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:10 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yade View Post
The Nokia N8 is an amazing phone and I am sure it will deliver but seriously, could they have found a less charismatic bloke to present these clips. He is sooooo boring!
Perhaps that's to make the N8 seem even moooore interesting